Review Count Dracula (1970)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
00 (2).jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

Jess Franco's version of the Bram Stoker classic has Count Dracula as an old man who grows younger whenever he dines on the blood of young maidens.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Not a Hammer Film, I know, but have put it on the Hammer boards as this was Christopher Lee's attempt to "get it right" and be faithful to Stoker.

It also seems to me that the film would likely not exist - and Lee would certainly not be in it - were it not for the earlier Dracula Hammer films.

Have never watched the film properly to date, but my preconceptions of it are that the director was a bit rubbish (while thinking he was a genius) and also overly fond of the zoom lens, so that while Christopher was being brilliant and giving it his all, the production around him was far too busy being shoddy to notice such things.

I feel sorry for Christopher as this was clearly a sincere personal attempt, but I think he was let down badly by amateurish others around him.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I've never watched it either, outside of clips here and there. It looks like a fascinating film, if badly executed. I have heard Lee speak more highly of it than the Hammer films, but I think that has more to do with Hammer never listening to him about properly using the source material.