Review Dragonfire (1987)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
No.-55-The-Seventh-Doctor-Years-1024x639.jpg dragonfire.jpg

Your thoughts on this story....

In Iceworld, a trading port on the dark side of planet Svartos, the Doctor chances across Sabalom Glitz and joins him on a treasure hunt in the frozen caverns of the planet where a dragon is rumored to resides. Meanwhile Mel and a recently fired waitress named Ace run afoul of Kane, the icy director of Iceworld, whose frozen touch means death.

On to the next story....

REMEMBRANCE OF THE DALEKS.....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/remembrance-of-the-daleks-1988.5356/

Back to the previous story....

DELTA AND THE BANNERMEN....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/delta-and-the-bannermen-1987.4434/

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
What could have been a pretty good story is brought down by poor direction and no budget. I still enjoy it, but for three important reasons. The return of Glitz, the departing of Mel, and the introduction to my favorite companion of all time, Ace. The story isn't that bad, but we get a really terrible looking "dragon" and a literal cliffhanger that just makes you want to choke hobos.

Doctor Omega

One thing that got to me was the decision to re-enact a bug hunt from ALIENS in a brightly lit studio, with a random actor and actress whose version of "tough-acting" was desperately unconvincing.

And the designers had to go and put stovepipes on the Dragon's back, of course.

James Cameron had nothing to worry about.

I also think Sophie Aldred makes - on the whole - a pretty cringe-worthy debut here too.

"I ain't got no Mum and Dad!"

"Bilge-bag!" etc.

Largely the fault of the dialogue throughout, and she went on to settle down, but I never overly rated her as an authentic actress, tbh.

I did like Season 24 though - and I don't think it deserves to be rated as the complete disaster fans commonly hold/held it up to be.

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Largely the fault of the dialogue throughout, and she went on to settle down, but I never overly rated her as an authentic actress, tbh
You gotta remember, though. We got those adventures over here in the States around 89-90, and I was a hormonal teenage boy. Here's this quirky, funny Doctor with a young girl who didn't seem to appear much older than me, running around with explosives and a baseball bat, dressed like some Bohemian anarchist. It was everything I could have wanted. I loved Ace, dammit! :emoji_wink:

Doctor Omega

Departures_and_beginnings.jpg

BONNIE LANGFORD....

“I got into the show because a friend of mine, Faith Brown, had been in a Cyberman story (Attack of the Cybermen). I said it was the sort of thing I’d like to do, and suddenly John Nathan-Turner was showing me this character outline for Mel. I said I’d like to do it and that was that – suddenly I was being besieged by the press and everything. I don’t think I quite realised what I was taking on.

“I think I was a bit of a shock to the system for most ‘Doctor Who’ fans. I didn’t realise how protective they were about their programme and having a slightly larger reputation for one brand of work than ‘straight drama’, I wasn’t particularly popular.

“I think the fans care deeply about ‘Doctor Who’, which is great, but it does mean that they restrict themselves – they should be a little more open-minded and not pre-judge things too much. I got a lot of ‘Oh, I’m not going to like Mel’ before I even started recording the show. People thought I was going to turn it into a musical or something, which is so stupid – ‘Doctor Who’ had been running for twenty-four yars before I came along, and I doubt one year of me was going to change it very much in the grand scale of things.

“Shortly after I arrived, we got the news that Colin was leaving, through no decision of his own, and Sylvester McCoy was joining. That became quite a scream because in his first story we had Kate O’Mara as the Rani. The three of us could not keep a straight face because of the great long scientific speeches Kate was doing. She memorised them all beautifully and by the time she’d get to the end, Sylvester and I would crease up and they’d have to start again.

“I left at the end of that year because I wanted to do other things. I also thought that after a while, people might get a bit fed up of this loon with red hair running about shouting ‘Doctor’, and I didn’t want Mel to be thought of as just another cipher. Her departure was fitting – she was going off to nag some other poor space traveller and drive him bonkers!”

Last edited: