Spoilers Favourite Asian Films

Elessar

Member: Rank 2
Ex nihilo:
I don't like Journey to the West movie much either. From the classic book "Journey to the West", the only adaption worth mentioning is the 1986 serie. It was a childhood treasure for me, both the book and and the serie.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
My feeling is that if you've spent a few minutes (or more) composing a reply and want to Preview it, a "More Options" button is a 50/50 gamble on whether or not you'll lose your writing if you hit it. True, once you've done it once you know, but hiding the most desirable options in submenus, I dunno.

"Upload a File"? I'd bury that sucker--even though it might be the most desirable for some. The jerkball in me would discourage all but the most professional forum software users from 'uploading files'.
I agree with what you're saying and I'm happy to tell you that the new Xenforo version that is coming soon will have a full Post Reply editor with built-in preview right from the start :). We just have to wait but it's coming !

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
2007 - M Director: Myung-se Lee ... The best film ever made. A simple story about a man in search of his muse, manufactured with audio/visual mastery
2009 - Cafe Noir Director: Jung Sung-il ... So cinema-y. The most amazing film experience I've had in a long time. Too complicated for a blurb
1995 - Maborosi Director: Hirokazu Koreeda ... It's sad. It's beautiful. It's a two hour painting
1997 - 2/Duo Director: Nobuhiro Suwa ... Improvised indie. It's people
2000 - In the Mood for Love Director: Kar Wai Wong ... Sexy
2000 - The Isle Director: Ki-duk Kim ... Brutal and beautiful
2001 - One Fine Spring Day Director: Jin-ho Hur ... Relationships end for inexplicable reasons. This film captures that inexplicableness
2001 - Millennium Mambo Director: Hsiao-Hsien Hou ... A love poem to Shu Qi. Hou had a boner the whole time he was making this film. Kinda creepy, but whatever it takes
2003 - Green Tea Director: Yuan Zhang ... A love poem to Zhou Wei. This is also Christopher Doyle's money shot
2004 - This Charming Girl Director: Yoon-ki Lee ... The template for character study
2005 - Blue Cha Cha Director: Wen-Tang Cheng ... Ambiguous art-house. I've never felt so much for a character who gave me so little
2005 - Noriko's Dinner Table Director: Shion Sono ... So transporting. I went to that world. I understood Sono
2006 - Summer Palace Director: Ye Lou ... "Because it is only when we make love that you understand that I'm gentle"
2006 - Strawberry Shortcakes Director: Hitoshi Yazaki ... I want to marry every woman in this film
2008 - Love Exposure Director: Shion Sono ... Balls, man
2015 - Tag Director: Shion Sono ... Because you can never love enough Sono, and I thought it was important to include something after the year 2009 to push back the naysayers who think that's when Asian Cinema took a nose dive. Oh wait, that's me

Last edited:

elanor

Member: Rank 3
2007 - M Director: Myung-se Lee ... The best film ever made. A simple story about a man in search of his muse, manufactured with audio/visual mastery
2015 - Tag Director: Shion Sono ... Because you can never love enough Sono, and I thought it was important to include something after the year 2009 to push back the naysayers who think that's when Asian Cinema took a nose dive. Oh wait, that's me
Lots of cerebral films. All probably very good. I have M on my IMDb watchlist, thanks to your recommendation. It looks very beautiful.

Shion Sono is not one of my favourite directors, sorry that I'm not able to love him. But then I prefer emotionally gripping films with lots of visual beauty ;)

sitenoise

Lots of cerebral films. All probably very good. I have M on my IMDb watchlist, thanks to your recommendation. It looks very beautiful.

Shion Sono is not one of my favourite directors, sorry that I'm not able to love him. But then I prefer emotionally gripping films with lots of visual beauty ;)
M is a 'tricky' beautiful film. It's manufactured. Cafe Noir is a beautiful film. It's photographed. If that makes sense

I'm not sure why I like Sono so much. But there's no need to go there if there is no lure. I like films about normal people talking and staring off into space. (I'm told) lol1.gif

ebossert

2000 - Battle Royale
2001 - Pulse
2002 - Infernal Affairs
2003 - A Tale of Two Sisters
2004 - Beyond Our Ken
2005 - Noroi
2006 - Death Note 1 and 2
2007 - Eye in the Sky
2008 - The Good, the Bad, the Weird
2009 - Castaway on the Moon
2010 - Confessions
2011 - Couples
2012 - Confession of Murder
2013 - Miss Zombie
2014 - The Raid 2: Berandal
2015 - Our Little Sister
2016 - The Wailing

sitenoise

Since I erred in posting a couple films from the 90s, and I like ebo's one per year list, here's my version 2. It was fun and satisfying filling in the missing years.

2000 - The Isle Director: Ki-duk Kim ... Going with this over In the Mood for Love
2001 - One Fine Spring Day Director: Jin-ho Hur
2002 - Oasis Director: Chang-dong Lee ... Nice to be able to add this different love story. I know it stumbles a little near the end, but the performances. My gosh
2003 - Green Tea Director: Yuan Zhang
2004 - This Charming Girl Director: Yoon-ki Lee
2005 - Noriko's Dinner Table Director: Shion Sono
2006 - Strawberry Shortcakes Director: Hitoshi Yazaki
2007 - M Director: Myung-se Lee
2008 - Love Exposure Director: Shion Sono
2009 - Cafe Noir Director: Jung Sung-il
2010 - Confessions Director: Tetsuya Nakashima
2011 - Re-encounter Director: Yong-keun Min ... Very happy to add this. It's a very natural film. Authentic, organic, the Korean way. It has one of the best Oh no! Don't shoot ... Hey! Great shot's ever.
2012 - The Cowards Who Looked to the Sky Director: Yuki Tanada ... Yuki Tanada is such a bright light.
2013 - Flowers of Evil Director: Hiroshi Nagahama ... This is rotoscoped anime. 13 Episodes. Good story, great production, great music.
2014 - Blind Massage Director: Ye Lou ... I nominated this as best film of that year 30 minutes into it.
2015 - Tag Director: Shion Sono ... I love all the running
2016 - The Wailing Director: Hong-jin Na ... This is such a marvelous failure it erases the failure. The farther away from it I get, the less I care about continuity, or ideas, story, whatever. I think of it as a string of skits. And so many of them are blow-the-roof-off good.

Last edited:

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
I don't have time at the moment to make fancy formatting or give my thoughts as to why these movies make my list, but here they are for now:

(edited: Ha! I didn't see the "since 2000" caveat. Most of mine are older!)

Favorite films (Asian); alphabetical, by country

Korean
All for Love (aka My Lovely Week / The Most Beautiful Week of My Life)
Bichunmoo
The Big Swindle
The Classic
Family Ties (aka Birth of a Family)
A Family
The Good, the Bad, and the Weird
Guns & Talks
The Harmonium in My Memory
Il Mare
Marathon
A Moment to Remember
My Lovely Sam-soon (TV series)
My Sassy Girl
No Blood, No Tears
Romance of Their Own (aka Temptation of Wolves)
Secret Sunshine
Stairway to Heaven (TV series)
A Tale of Two Sisters
You Are My Sunshine
Wanee and Junah

Japanese
Angel Dust
Bandits vs. Samurai Squadron
Battle Royale
Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion
Floating Weeds
Hara-kiri
House
Ikiru
The Mystery of Rampo
Onibaba
Red Beard
Shark Skin Man and Peach Hip Girl
Spirited Away
Three Outlaw Samurai
Throne of Blood
Zatoichi Meets the One-armed Swordsman

Chinese/Hong Kong
The Bride with White Hair
Butterfly & Sword
C'est la Vie, Mon Cheri
A Chinese Torture Chanber Story
Comrades, Almost a Love Story
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Drunken Master II
Erotic Ghost Story III
The Five Deadly Venoms
Fist of Legend
Flying Dagger
Fong Sai Yuk
Hard-Boiled
Hero
House of Flying Daggers
Infernal Affairs
Iron Monkey
The Killer
Lust, Caution
Men Suddenly in Black
Naked Killer
Police Story
Police Story II
Red Cliff
The Road Home
Sex & Zen
Wing Chun

Last edited:

manel8

Member: Rank 1
Great bunch of titles! Many of those I have not watched, good additions to the must watch list, thanks!

Daniel Larusso

2000 - The Isle
2001 - Visitor Q
2002 - Infernal Affairs
2003 - Gozu
2004 - Swing Girls
2005 - Noriko's Dinner Table
2006 - Memories of Matsuko
2007 - Closed Diary
2008 - Love Exposure
2009 - Castaway on the Moon
2010 - Cold Fish
2011 - Himizu
2012 - Wolf Children
2013 - Why Don't You Play in Hell?
2014 - Tokyo Tribe
2015 - Love & Peace
2016 - The Handmaiden

Daniel Larusso

First of all, I had a lot of fun doing the one film per year thing ebo started. I hope you did too. Second, Closed Diary! I thought that was a film only me and a few teenaged girls liked. Awesome. View attachment 168

I may add my review of it to the Recently Seen thread. Because.
Yeah, I liked the concept. I'll do the 90's next.

Closed Diary is a very special film. Erika Sawajiri + Yui bring me back memories of the time I was getting into japanese culture.
I should re-watch it someday to see if it still holds up. I just checked and unfortunately, it seems the film never got its bluray release.
I remember this film beeing very moody, the romance very sweet and I just wanted to live in that small town where the film takes place.

There's another film from this director that used to be a favourite of mine as well - Go (2001). Have you seen it?

Daniel Larusso

1990 - Dreams
1991 - Raise the Red Lantern
1992 - Hard Boiled
1993 - Sonatine
1994 - Chungking Express
1995 - Fallen Angels
1996 - Swallowtail Butterfly
1997 - Fireworks
1998 - The Bird People in China
1999 - Dead or Alive

sitenoise

1991 - Close to Eden (Urga) Director: Nikita Mikhalkov
1992 - The Story of Qiu Ju Director: Yimou Zhang
1993 - Moving Director: Shinji Sômai
1994 - Undo Director: Shunji Iwai
1995 - Maborosi Director: Hirokazu Koreeda
1996 - A Petal Director: Sun-Woo Jang
1997 - 2/Duo Director: Nobuhiro Suwa
1998 - Tie After Life Director: Hirokazu Koreeda ... The Emperor and the Assassin Director: Kaige Chen
1999 - Tie Not One Less Director: Yimou Zhang ... Whispering Corridors 2: Memento Mori Director: Tae-Yong Kim, Kyu-Dong Min

And, for lack of a 1990 film, I'm going to mention a film that should never be left off anybody's list of Favorite Asian Films
2000 - Vertical Ray of the Sun Director: Anh Hung Tran

Daniel Larusso

1980 - Kagemusha
1981 -
1982 - I Are You, You Am Me
1983 -
1984 - The Crazy Family
1985 - Ran
1986 - Castle in the Sky
1987 - The Red Spectacles
1988 - Akira
1989 - Kiki's Delivery Service

elanor

now also by me the yearly concept:

2000 - Time and Tide
2001 - Spirited Away
2002 - Hero (lots of contenders)
2003 - Aragami
2004 - Howl's Moving Castle
2005 - Duelist (a weak year for me)
2006 - Big Bang Love, Juvenile A / Curse of the Golden Flower(two strong contenders)
2007 - Crows Zero
2008 - Beast Stalker
2009 - Castaway on the Moon / Bodyguards and Assassins
2010 - Villain
2011 - Always
2012 - Wolf Children (lots of contenders)
2013 - Saving General Yang
2014 - Pirates
2015 - Memories of the Sword

Last edited: