Fun Foods You Won't Eat!

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
iStock-friends-and-family-enjoying-dinner-small.jpg

We all have them. Those foods that you absolutely will not eat. Like, you've been stranded on a desert island for weeks, with nothing to eat, and you're rescued by a boat where they only have one thing to eat, and as hungry as you are, you won't even touch it, and spend the next week on your way back to civilization ignoring your growling stomach as everyone around you eats that food you can't stand.

Personally, I grew up in a household where I was encouraged to eat all types of foods, and got the usual response of "you'll eat it or go hungry", so there's little I won't eat if hungry. My exceptions are lima beans, peas (I like pea pods, and I'll choke down most of the peas in Chinese food, but to sit and eat peas as a side dish just won't happen), raw onion, and bologna. I don't know if there's some kind of gourmet bologna out there in the world, but here in the States, it's basically like a big hot dog, but ten times as nasty. It smells horrible, and tastes worse. At least hot dogs I can cover in chili, cheese and saurkraut and make them edible.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
raw onion
This
I would jump ship and swim back to the island, wait for the next boat lol.

I grew up in a household where I was encouraged to eat all types of foods, and got the usual response of
"try first before saying you don't like it" was what we got to hear

For the rest, when starving, I can pretty much eat everything except the raw union or stuff like smelly cheese or stinky sausage types. Anything else that I don't eat is because I just don't like the taste of it. I like sweet, no bitter. Love chocolate, hate asperges kinda thing.

chainsaw_metal1

Oh! I forgot. Potato Salad. Which is insane, because I love egg salad, and it's really the same thing, but with potatoes added. I don't know if it's the texture of cold potato, or what, but I can't eat it.

"try first before saying you don't like it" was what we got to hear
I heard that more than once. It made me realize that there are some really great foods out there.

duzit

Member: Rank 6
Fruit Cake & Three Bean Salad. Thru no fault of the food, but my piggishness I cannot even look at either one of those foods without my stomach doing a flip-flop..:emoji_ghost: After I gorged myself & then re-gergitated every morsel, "everything in moderation" hits home with a real meaning◆◆◆♡♡♡

streak1981

Member: Rank 3
Prepare yourself; I have one hell of a long list...

Meat (pork, beef, poultry, etc)
Lobster (something about the nickname "Cockroach of the Sea" grosses me out, especially since I abhor roaches)
Shrimp
Avocado (my mother shoved a forkful in my mouth when I was little... I cried, screamed, & puked, all the same time!!!)
Bananas
Corn (kernels... don't mind popcorn or the bread, as long as the kernels aren't added to it... damned things remind me of teeth)
Tilapia (used to love it, until I read up on it. NASTY)
Gelatin (for those who don't know: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin)
Fruit (don't get me wrong, I like the taste/flavor of most fruits, I just can't stand the texture)
Potato salad (YUCK)
Kashi brand anything (their "heart healthy" cereal gave me heart palpitations)
Cuban bread (lard is one of the ingredients)... damned shame, too, since I'm Cuban
Mangos
Goat cheese & milk (I had a goat as a pet once... I'd feel too weird consuming any of the by-products)
Sheep's milk cheese
Any cheese containing rennet
Beer (tastes gross)
Strawberry milk/shakes (I used to throw it up as a kid)
Whole milk (the idea of the fat content in it does not make me want to drink it... don't mind baking w/ it, though)

I know there's more, but that's all I can think of. I will tell you this, if you locked me up in a windowless room w/ only these foods for a year, by the time the year is up, you will find every item on that list deposited in a neat, untouched little pile w/ my dried up corpse laying ten feet away.

streak1981

Forgot a few...

Oatmeal
Grits
Porridge
Pumpkin
Anything w/ nutmeg... More for health reasons, though... Wreaks hell on my stomach.
Lettuce (same reason as the nutmeg)
Sweet potatoes

chainsaw_metal1

@streak1981 You and I would have a hard time being roommates. I love meat, cheese and beer way too much. heeheehee

I was watching a program on Netflix where the group was making a recipe from the late 19th century, and they needed to make homemade gelatin, which meant having to find a butcher who could sell them calves hooves to boil for it. Fascinating stuff, but mom always said I was an odd child.

streak1981

@streak1981 You and I would have a hard time being roommates. I love meat, cheese and beer way too much. heeheehee

I was watching a program on Netflix where the group was making a recipe from the late 19th century, and they needed to make homemade gelatin, which meant having to find a butcher who could sell them calves hooves to boil for it. Fascinating stuff, but mom always said I was an odd child.
I can have cheese, it just has to be the kind that's suitable for vegetarians to eat. As for beer, I don't mind cooking w/ it, just don't expect me to drink it.

O.o

Don't worry, I've always been odd as well. lol

Carol

Member: Rank 5
Raw onions - raging indigestion - will cheerfully munch pickles though

Offal - (unless in pate, haggis, salami or any other highly spiced configuration) - never said it was logical - school liver (grey, scuzzy with protruding tubes..) might be to blame.

Olives with anchovy in: odd, because both are very welcome together on a pizza, or separately in all sorts of ways. But one inside the other - blah!

Pineapple on a pizza. Because.

But that's about it - as and when I try new things I reserve the right to file an excresence under "never again"- so there may be lots of things out there I won't like when I get to them.

streak1981

@streak1981: gosh, what can you eat then?
I tend to prepare my own food most of the time, & have been doing so since I was three. Mostly because I don't trust the food that others prepare for me, unless I'm watching them make it. Which is totally weird, since I don't mind going to restaurants & eating their food (if it's suitable). However, I still tend to get suspicious of their preparation methods.

As for what I eat, carbs mostly. A lot of the foods I put down in those lists have to do w/ texture. For example, in my house, there's always the tradition of eating grapes on New Year's, & I could only choke down about five of them (you're supposed to eat twelve in order to correlate w/ all twelve months) before handing them off to someone else, because I just couldn't bring myself to chew on the damned things anymore. My mother was watching me, & told me that I looked like I was chewing on a turd.

I also tend to eat fish like mahi & salmon, as well as crabmeat, & some other stuff I can't remember right now. I'll eat tofu in certain things... My favorite ways are in miso soup, & fried rice. Gotta get protein from somewhere.