Fun Foods You Won't Eat!

duzit

Member: Rank 6
@Carol
What is Offal? And what does this mean: O.o
There's not much that I won't eat, see previous post, and I'm always up for trying new foods...

duzit

Member: Rank 6
There is a lunchmeat called "Headcheese". It is made up of bits & bobs, has some gelatinous stuff in it. It looks quite disgusting. I bet it is similar to Offal. I have eaten some organ meats and if prepared correctly they are good.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Headcheese, if done right, is delicious. I know a guy who makes homemade headcheese, and it's amazing.

As I stated, there's little I won't eat. I'm also an enigma, because I think of myself as a food snob in some areas, but then I love Spam.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
Totally opposite, in this area, mate. I love anything banana or banana flavored (flavoured?) To each their own. More bananas for me.
You're quite welcome to them, mate.

My lad liked banana lollies, but not the actual food.

My father actually came from Queensland - the Big Banana Land. Although I don't think he cared much for them either.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
I've never had a banana daiquiri - and I wouldn't be prepared to risk it.
put enough rum + lime in and you wouldn't even know the 'nana was there.
Seriously, my friend's daughter (10 years old) was helping us make a pasta sauce - she was busy chopping mushrooms in tiny, tiny bits. "That's so I don't know they're there" she said "Because I don't like them." Well, it works for her.

ant-mac

put enough rum + lime in and you wouldn't even know the 'nana was there.
Yes, I would.

I also don't like rum. I don't mind lime.
Seriously, my friend's daughter (10 years old) was helping us make a pasta sauce - she was busy chopping mushrooms in tiny, tiny bits. "That's so I don't know they're there" she said "Because I don't like them." Well, it works for her.
I also will not eat mushrooms. Disgusting things.

They come right after bananas and before pumpkin on the list of things I will not eat.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
"That's so I don't know they're there" she said "Because I don't like them."
As a kid, I wouldn't eat onions in any capacity, so my mom would do that. Or my folks would tell me it was celery, because I was naive. Then one day at school, a friend of mine told me I was stupid, because I said there was celery in the food, when it was actually onions. They never did forgive him for that one.

I also don't like rum. I don't mind lime.
As long as you do drink scotch, you're okay in my eyes, mate. Cheers! :emoji_cocktail:

ant-mac

As long as you do drink scotch, you're okay in my eyes, mate. Cheers! :emoji_cocktail:
To be honest, I can't ever remember drinking Scotch. Sorry...

That doesn't mean that I dislike it, I just can't be bothered to chase it down.

I enjoy Jim Beam bourbon - and have had two one litre bottles in the house for the last three to five years. The one I opened is still a quarter full. I've also got a half-full bottle of St Agnes brandy that must be at least ten years old. I've got two one litre bottles of Kahlua that must be about two years old and a cask of white wine for my hock, lime and lemon drinks that I've yet to open after two or three years.

However, over that same ten year period, I've consumed several one litre bottles of Bailey's Irish Cream, several one litre bottles of Kahlua, two or three casks of white wine, as well as several cartons of XXXX beer from Queensland - the only beer I actually care for. I generally only drink beer during the warm weather - and can get through the average summer with two or three cartons over about three to five months.

I enjoy a drink, but I don't drink to get drunk like many Aussies. I like to enjoy the sensation and savour the taste. However, if I don't remember to have one, it doesn't bother me.

Carol

What is Offal?
Hi Dizit - sorry, I must have missed yours before when getting stuck into the defence of bananas.

Yes - innards / wobbly bits. I know there's precious little logic to being a carnivore where meat from outsides but not insides is concerned - and I DO like all sorts of pate and sausages, whatever is minced up in them, also haggis (which I've heard is actually illegal in America).
Mum used to make steak and kidney pudding for my dad, who loved it, but I couldn't stand the smell. She also used to love tripe, but I couldn't get over the slitheriness. And school dinner's liver really was an abomination. Still, it took me years to figure out this other thing they served, called "tuna", was actually supposed to be fish. For starters, it was artificial limb pink, and crumbly...

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
Pineapple
Pumpkin
Smoked food(with the exception of eel)
Oysters
Caffeinated drinks
Fava beans
Beets

Carol

Smoked eel OK but not smoked salmon - I'm sure lots of people would be the other way round.
I like both, in fact the only eel that is terminally off-putting is "traditional" London eel pie - the smell emanating from the doorway of the relevant caffs stops me even entering: you know when people start talking up a food "tradition" they really mean you were fed it when way too young to understand what was happening to your taste buds and /or they've done a marketing course to ensnare. wide-eyed hipsters.
Eel sushi was my first - skin on for added crunchiness... but I've never found that in London.

Carol

And it might be the international style of this thread coming out but two of you have specified not liking pumpkin - it never really got onto my list of edible things anyway - more of a newfangled American Hallowe'en import for decorative purposes.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I only ate pumpkin once and that was enough. Now I only carve them.
Last year the bar I go to, had an American import beer which was made with pumpkin, it was the most disgusting beer I have ever tasted.