Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Still a great film - and Karloff still remains the only actor to truly give his monster a child-like tortured soul that made you pity him as much as fear him.

Bride is definitely the better film, but this one has stood the test of time to remain an acknowledged classic.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
An absolutely glorious film.

When I first saw it nearly half a lifetime ago, I simply couldn't get over how good it looked and was. I still feel the same about it now.

No version since has come close to this iconic classic. Why they even bother to try is still a mystery to me.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
33144f5cd8a9f0d63ac815a496702237.jpg

And James Whale would be thrown off the set by today's corporate suits and banned from the lot, because he would have no interest in plugging his film into any desperately conjured up shared "DARK UNIVERSE" He would just want to make his own film, in his own way.

When those films of old linked up in that original "shared universe", it was all part of the fun - and truly organic and unforced - complete with charming continuity errors and contradictions from film to film. :emoji_alien:

Now it is all about rivalling Marvel and DC and however many other SU's and is not done for love or fun at all. It is big, soulless business. And the silly sods have neither the wit or intelligence - or genuine love for the source material - to realise that they cannot - and never will - duplicate the timelessness of those originals.

And they are deluding themselves if they think they can hope to produce improved takes on the original Monster Universe simply by adding a lot of sound, thunder and big Hollywood names in their remakes. while missing the entire atmosphere and flavour of the originals.

dark-universe-cast_1.jpg.imgo.jpg

The Mummy has hardly got them off to a good start....

Last edited: