Review Ghost Light (1989)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
A potentially good story ruined, in my opinion, by overly pretentious scripting, as if it thinks itself a profound masterpiece full of symbolism and abstract meaning that we are supposed to be impressed by.

No, Platt. Just give us a good yarn, without the monkey business!

I am quite sure that Robert Holmes would have made mincemeat of this script as a script editor.

The fans were starting to take over the asylum with such nonsense, even back then.

This is where the rot started,, I think.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
A potentially good story ruined, in my opinion, by overly pretentious scripting, as if it thinks itself a profound masterpiece full of symbolism and abstract meaning that we are supposed to be impressed by.
I dunno. Yes, the writing is quite pretentious, but I liked that they seemed to be trying something bold with the material. The show seemed to try too hard to be for younger audiences in Davison's run, and then went the other way during Colin's run. I appreciated that they wanted to explore The Doctor's character more than had been done for a long while.
I think possibly the best McCoy story. This scene possibly the best McCoy scene of his tenure.
This, Curse of the Fenric, and Battlefield were my favorites. Mostly because of what I previously stated, that they were looking at making The Doctor more than a space hobo. There was something else to him besides an eccentric time traveler.

But favorite scene? Hmmmm....this might be in my top five of his scenes.