Review Hell Bent (2015)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0000000000000000000.jpg p03b37r3.jpg

Your thoughts on this story....

If you took everything from him, betrayed him, trapped him, and broke both his hearts... how far might the Doctor go? Returning to Gallifrey, the Doctor faces the Time Lords in a struggle that will take him to the end of time itself. Who is the Hybrid? And what is the Doctor's confession?

On to the next story.....

THE HUSBANDS OF RIVER SONG....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/the-husbands-of-river-song-2015.5340/

Back to the previous story....

HEAVEN SENT....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/heaven-sent-2015.1620/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

(Posted this elsewhere last year, but reposting it, now that this particular episode has it's own thread.....)

I have to say, on the subject of the gender change, I think this following scene is truly dreadful - and is a really hamfisted and heavyhanded way of hammering home the point that Time Lords can now (casually) change gender.

For a start, to get there, the Doctor has to turn into a violent idiot and commit the cold-blooded murder of an unarmed person standing in front of him, because, hey, it's not "cheating death" now. It's just man flu.

And he couldn't save Adric, but will murder and defy the laws of time to save Clara. Because she is more important to him than Katarina, Sara Kingdom, Adric (and Peri?).

The "selfie" quip is groan worthy too and shows that Moffat's talent for humorous dialogue pales next to Robert Holmes and many others of the past.

The misandry that the now female General immediately stands up and comes out with about "all that ego" is another jaw-dropping moment. One matched only by Clara saying to the Doctor in another episode that she would "slap you so hard, you'll regenerate."

If equivalent dialogue was directed from male to female characters, there would be uproar. It is simply not equality and the sign of a somewhat clueless writer at work, in my opinion.

This scene was clearly part of a clumsily planned agenda, presumably in cahoots with Chibnall to layer the gender changing into the WHO mythos.

If that layering had been done dramatically and well, that would be fine.

People often don't think they will like something until they have seen it done well by good writers/actors etc.

Many fans did not want to see Spock die, but as Nick Meyer explained: "The point is not that we kill Spock, but that we kill him well."

They did, of course and we got a great ending to a great film.

But this and other ways of introducing an astonishing new tweak to the mythos was not done dramatically and well, imo. It was done glibly and cynically, little by little. In a silly way. Not in a remotely dramatic way. Story by story. In fact, I think this particular scene was fatally written in the spirit of aggressively defying critics and not to entertain and enthral an audience, which I feel is entirely the wrong approach to take and so wrong headed it's astonishing.

I felt similar arrogance was displayed in the opening credits of one episode where Clara declared she was the Doctor and her face then appeared in the credits, with Jenna Coleman's name before Capaldi's. Cocking a snook at fans who had felt Clara was becoming too dominant as a character in the show.

That is losing your way as a dramatist, I think.

And overall, I think this following scene was the clearest indicator that Moffat was "Who-ed out" and should already have left by this point, even assuming he should ever have been given the job of showrunner in the first place...

Phew! I've finally got all of that off my chest! :emoji_alien:

But what do others think?

Here's the scene in question.....

Doctor Omega

So who da heck was this woman.....?

The_Woman_Hell_Bent.jpg hb1.jpg

Ever since her appearance in the Doctor Who Season 9 finale, “Hell Bent,” fans have been speculating about the identity of the mysterious lady in the barn.

As some of you will recall, the scene took place on the Doctor’s home planet of Gallifrey and featured an old lady who warned Peter Capaldi’s Doctor the Time Lords would kill him now that he has returned.

As for that barn, it was first seen in “The Day of the Doctor,” and again in “Listen,” where it was implyed this was where the Doctor slept (the barn is located in the drylands of Gallifrey, near the Capitol). So, that of course led many a Doctor Who fan to wonder if that barn lady was actually the Doctor’s mother. Well, showrunner Steven Moffat has the answer.

Responding to a fan question in issue 496 of Doctor Who Magazine as to whether the old barn lady was the Doctor’s mother, Moffat answered:

“We’ve no idea who she is, nor should we. But a quick glance at the evidence, would remind you that the Doctor is a ‘high born Gallifreyan’ so that would seem unlikely. So what was he doing in that barn, and who were those people? The Doctor won’t tell me. It’s almost like that nameless wanderer in time and space likes a bit of mystery…”

The showrunner added:

“Oh, it’s funny, writing stuff about the Doctor’s past. You always have to leave options – you can’t be definitive. Or at least that’s how I feel about it. I like the audience to have a choice. If, in 'Listen,' you’re happy that the little boy in the bed is the Doctor, then great. But if you’re not, that’s fine too. I keep saying, Head Canon is important, because that’s where the show really happens: in the hearts and minds of all the people watching.”

In the finale, the barn lady (played by Linda Broughton) was only credited as The Woman, which was the same name given to Claire Bloom’s Time Lady in the David Tennant Doctor Who two-parter special, “The End of Time” -- a character whose identity former showrunner Russell T. Davies left up in the time vortex on the show but confirmed as being the Doctor’s mother in his book The Writers Tale:

"I like leaving it open, because then you can imagine what you want. I think the fans will say it's Romana. Or even the Rani. Some might say that it's Susan's mother, I suppose. But of course it's meant to be the Doctor's mother."

Still, it wasn't made official on the show so... everything's up in the air. But the Time Lady was a high born Gallifreyan while the lady in the barn wasn't.

The woman in the HELL BENT barn is also mentioned in this theory video.......................

Doctor Omega

“Oh, it’s funny, writing stuff about the Doctor’s past. You always have to leave options – you can’t be definitive. Or at least that’s how I feel about it. I like the audience to have a choice. If, in 'Listen,' you’re happy that the little boy in the bed is the Doctor, then great. But if you’re not, that’s fine too. I keep saying, Head Canon is important, because that’s where the show really happens: in the hearts and minds of all the people watching.”

Bring back JNT. :emoji_rolling_eyes: