Review Hellboy (2019)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Ed Skrein Departs “Hellboy” Reboot

View attachment 3158

British actor Ed Skrein has exited the “Hellboy” reboot following a public outcry over the whitewashing of his character.

In the “B.P.R.D.” graphic novels, Major Ben Daimio is an Asian character, Upon the announcement of the hiring of the very Caucasian Skrein for the role, a minor controversy erupted over the racial change.

Now, Skrein has posted a classy statement Monday on his social media accounts explaining why he dropped out of the project.

“It is clear that representing this character in a culturally accurate way holds significance for people, and that to neglect this responsibility would continue a worrying tendency to obscure ethnic minority stories and voice in the Arts.

I feel it is important to honour and respect that. There I have decided to step down so the role can be cast appropriately. Representation of ethnic diversity is important, especially to me as I have a mixed heritage family.

It is our responsibility to make more decisions in difficult times and to give voice to inclusivity. It is my hope that one day these discussions will become less necessary and that we can help make equal representation in the Arts a reality.”

The controversy follows in the wake of Scarlett Johansson and Tilda Swinton’s casting in “Ghost in the Shell” and “Doctor Strange” respectively with the talk taking over much of the conversation about the film.

Lionsgate has also released a statement in regards to Skrein’s exit:

“Ed came to us and felt very strongly about this. We fully support his unselfish decision. It was not our intent to be insensitive to issues of authenticity and ethnicity, and we will look to recast the part with an actor more consistent with the character in the source material.”

David Harbour, Ian McShane and Milla Jovovich co-star in the film which shoots later this Fall.
Skrein is a class act. Too many actors would have just stayed with the part and said screw everybody. Kudos to him.

Also, how badass does Harbour look? This movie is gonna be awesome!

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
“Hellboy” Creator Talks His Reboot Involvement

hellboy-creator-on-his-reboot-involvement-696x464.jpg

Filming has wrapped on director Neil Marshall’s new film adaptation of Mike Mignola’s “Hellboy” comics, by all accounts a darker and more loyal take on the original material than the two previous films helmed by this year’s Oscar-winning director Guillermo del Toro.

del Toro’s first film (especially early on) was obviously inspired by Mignola’s material even with a few modifications like Rupert Evans’ character and a shift in Hellboy & Liz’s relationship. The second film, however, was both more fantastical and more pure del Toro.

Mignola will again be involved behind-the-scenes, but he recently spoke with EW and described how his involvement on this one differed to the previous movies – mainly he was far more involved this time out and mainly with the story as opposed to the designs:

“It’s funny, because my involvement has been very different than the Del Toro movies. The difference is I had known Del Toro for six years by the time we did the first movie. Neil I met a couple months before he worked on the movie.

It was very different, but I have been involved ever since they said ‘Hey we’re gonna make another Hellboy movie, and we’re gonna do this story.’ I’ve bounced back and forth with them about how to adapt this particular Hellboy story.

At various times I’ve jumped in and been much more active in the screenplay than I ever was on the Del Toro movies. But I did nothing so far as design stuff on the movie. Guillermo wanted me as a concept artist, but on this movie, there were other concept artists. I came in and I looked at some stuff, but they were trying to do something so close to what’s on the comics that they really leaned on what had been done by Duncan [Fegredo] and me in the comics.”

David Harbour stars as the character in the new film which also boasts Ian McShane, Milla Jovovich, Daniel Dae Kim, Sasha Lane, and Sophie Okonedo. The new Hellboy opens in January.

Doctor Omega

The “Hellboy” Reboot Delayed Three Months

Lionsgate has delayed its upcoming “Hellboy” reboot by three months, pushing it back from a January 11th to an April 2019 release.

The move is not unexpected considering the film has yet to release any publicity material beyond two in production photos of star David Harbour in character. It now opens one week after “Shazam” and opposite Robert Downey Jr.’s “Doctor Dolittle” remake.

Neil Marshall helms the new take on the Mike Mignola Dark Horse Comics title, with Ian McShane, Milla Jovovich, Sasha Lane, Daniel Dae Kim and Penelope Mitchell co-starring.

Doctor Omega

New “Hellboy” Is More Horror & Comics Accurate

Hopefully we’ll be seeing the first trailer for the upcoming “Hellboy” reboot this weekend with the movie set to have a panel at New York Comic Con on Saturday where it’s expected the first footage will premiere.

Speaking with Deadline ahead of that, comics creator Mike Mignola was asked about the film and answered one question on a lot of minds – why bother with a reboot when you could just continue the del Toro narrative? Mignola says it was time for a new take:

“We went back and forth on that. Early on there was some idea of continuing the storyline that del Toro had started but would that be fair to a new director? So, we decided to just start over. Neil [Marshall] is a horror director so the idea then was to a make a darker film. If you are going to use a guy, let him do what he does best.

So, we went through the script taking out the del Toro-isms and in some ways go out of our way to make sure we are doing a different ‘Hellboy’ with its own distinct character [as a project] but still adhering to the comics. While del Toro did a more fanciful version of ‘Hellboy,’ Neil has done a darker, more horror version of ‘Hellboy.’ They both started with the source material but then they each have led it in very different directions.”

So how did it ultimately turn out? According to Mignola, fans of the comic book series should be very excited and indicates this will be closer to the comic than the previous films:

“This is the first time I have been able to say honestly that I was on set and looking at something that looked like it jumped straight out of the comic. I never had that experience on any of the other stuff. There’s one scene in this movie where I was like, ‘Holy f—’ that’s pretty damn close – in the costumes and everything else – to a specific scene in the comics. That was a new experience.”

“Hellboy” opens in cinemas on April 12th 2019.

Doctor Omega

Has “Hellboy” Secretly Cast Lobster Johnson?

has-hellboy-secretly-cast-lobster-johnson-696x464.jpg

Earlier this year actor Thomas Haden Church revealed to JoBlo that he had just shot a role in the “genre of superheroes and supervillains” and that it was not a Marvel movie. However it was a role he was “not supposed to talk about” and one the producers were trying to keep quiet for as long as they could. Still, at that point a few months ago, Church was surprised it hadn’t already been revealed in the media.

That may have changed today with Discussing Film reporting that the role that Church hinted at earlier this year is in the upcoming “Hellboy” reboot starring David Harbour. That role? The iconic Lobster Johnson, a vigilante who worked in secret in New York City during the 1930s who had a reputation for violence and burning his trademark lobster claw symbol into foreheads.

Lobster Johnson is one of the wildcards of the “Hellboy” series, an occasional guest star in either flashback or ghost form and a fan favourite, and more recently scored his own spin-off comic series. The outlet adds that Church’s reps have no comment on the story.

Doctor Omega

xoSpBFy.jpg

While Guillermo del Toro’s “Hellboy” films are well liked, the franchise was neither particularly loyal to the comics or profitable – the films making not much more than their increasing budgets. The announcement of a more cost-effective reboot wasn’t a shock and the promise of “The Descent” director Neil Marshall giving us something R-rated, bloodier and more in tone with the Lovecraftian elements of Mike Mignola’s comic was promising. Also good was the casting including David Harbour in the titular role along with Ian McShane, Milla Jovovich, Sasha Lane and Daniel Dae Kim offering support. But the release of the not well-cut trailer last month proved divisive – Harbour looks good but the film is seemingly being marketed as something far more jokey and akin to del Toro’s films than promised. Even if it’s just a bad trailer, there are many del Toro loyalists out there who will turn this down cold and so right now Lionsgate has its work cut out for it.

Doctor Omega

Lionsgate’s upcoming David Harbour-led reboot of the “Hellboy” franchise has officially received an R-rating from the Motion Picture Association of America.
The project has been given that rating for “strong bloody violence and gore throughout, and language” it was announced by the ratings board.
This was expected as director Neil Marshall’s version is said to be much darker and more violent than the previous film adaptations by Guillermo Del Toro, even as the first trailer for it avoided showing any such darkness in favor of jokes – resulting in a lot of backlash.

Doctor Omega

“Hellboy” Clashes Emerge As Film Widely Panned

hellboy-clashes-emerge-as-film-widely-panned-696x464.jpg

Media screenings and review embargoes for the “Hellboy” reboot were held back until the last minute, lifting late yesterday. As reaction went up however, the reason was understandable.

With 58 reviews counted, the film sits at a dismal 12% on Rotten Tomatoes with the film widely panned for practically every element – labelling it loud, incoherent, and empty.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hellboy_2019

In the wake of the reviews, a new report has gone up at The Wrap suggesting there’s a reason for this. The trade says the end result is due to disagreements between the film’s two main producers (out of sixteen total), Harbour, and director Neil Marshall.

The site alleges producers Lawrence Gordon and Lloyd Levin fired Marshall’s go-to cinematographer Sam McCurdy for doing his job, and the decision to do so was “to send a message to Marshall that despite being the film’s director, Marshall was not in charge”. Lorenzo Senatore ultimately served as cinematographer.

That was just one of the numerous apparent disagreements on set. Others allegedly included Levin interrupting Marshall frequently in front of the crew and gave actors different directions than the director, Harbour repeatedly walking off set, Harbour and Ian McShane reportedly rewriting their own scenes and ignoring direction from Marshall, and a prolonged dispute over the design of a tree that’s core to the film’s story.

In addition, it says after Marshall handed in his cut of the film the producers reportedly took over as they never promised him final cut. Gordon and Levin worked on the previous “Hellboy” films and are teaming up again for HBO’s “Watchmen” series.

Marshall, Harbour, McShane, Gordon and a Lionsgate spokesman declined to comment for the story, but Levin’s attorney Martin Singer responded to basically every accusation in the story and says it sounded like it was “shaping up as a puff-piece for Mr. Marshall while tarnishing ‘Hellboy’ and my client.”

The previous “Hellboy” films opened at $23 million and $35 million domestically, with the new one projected to earn $17-20 million this weekend.

Doctor Omega

Along with a critical panning, Lionsgate and Millennium’s “Hellboy” reboot has also tanked with audiences who’ve given it a dismal C CinemaScore.

Opening to an estimated $4.9 million on Friday, the movie is heading for a projected $12-13 million weekend which would see it coming in third behind “Shazam” and “Little”.
It’s also well behind both the studio’s expectations of $16-21 million and less than half the openings of the previous two Guillermo del Toro-directed films. One key difference though is that the new “Hellboy” was cheaper, coming in at a reported $50 million.