Information How Come Some People Dress Like This In Hot Weather?

MIKEPR

Member: Rank 1
Sometimes I've notice people wear odd stuff in the summer.

Long sleeve shirts which can include sweatshirts & jackets.

Now I can understand why some may wear long sleeve in warmer weather.

Being someone who's never felt comfortable in short pants I figure some may feel the same about short sleeve shirts but heavy sweatshirts or jackets?

Also I saw a couple of videos where one girl went out one July with family and it hot and wish she wore shorts.

My thought was "Well gee it's July in San Diego what did you expect?"

The other shows one visiting Australia assuming it's gonna be cold and it's hot and doesn't take he jacket off.

Gee did she bother listening to the weather and was it worth wearing it the whole time you were out?

How do you explain these?

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Some folks do it because of how comfortable they are.There are times when my wife will wear long sleeve shirts in summer, depending on how warm or cold she feels. Some folks are more comfortable in long sleeves and pants, no matter the weather. The same as how I used to wear shorts all year round, even in blizzards (and winters can get cold in Iowa). Now, I'm getting old, and put layers on just to run garbage out to the garage.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
It also depends on what your body considers hot. I've seen plenty of people who are dying of heat exhaustion when it gets to 28 (celcius - about 82f) but since where I'm from it can get up to 42C (107f) I'm OK in that weather and can wear pretty much anything.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
I'm from the North so if I was out West in the heat I would sweat my ass off being I have thick blood. The blood thing happens when folks being from colder regions our blood thickens up. This mainly happens to keep us warm when it's cold out. People in the South or out West coast have thinner blood. Out there they do good in the heat. If they were to come to the North or East coast they will freeze. Plus, Northerns out west tend to look weird since it could be cold or in our case a hot 65. This also funny when you have family visit from out West and they want warm coats since they are freezing.

Another thing is people on blood thinners tend to get cold really easy. There's even some pills out there that have a overheating side effect and you can get to hot and pass out.

chainsaw_metal1

A co-worker of mine was talking about her sister and her family who live in Florida. They were down visiting, and it was in the 70sF there. She and her husband were in shorts and t-shirts, and everyone down there was wearing jackets and sweaters. All because, as you mentioned, her sister's blood had thinned being in the warmer climate.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
It also depends on what your body considers hot. I've seen plenty of people who are dying of heat exhaustion when it gets to 28 (celcius - about 82f) but since where I'm from it can get up to 42C (107f) I'm OK in that weather and can wear pretty much anything.
Only 42C?

Where are you? Tassie? :emoji_wink:

ant-mac

I didn't want to scare people away from visiting.

Assuming that our "deadly" wildlife hasn't already done that.
Yeah, but the good thing about our wildlife, is that there are seldom any survivors left to complain about it. :emoji_neutral_face:

Gavin

VIP
Yeah, but the good thing about our wildlife, is that there are seldom any survivors left to complain about it. :emoji_neutral_face:
Well I always make sure to warn our overseas visitors about vegemite behind the ears to avoid dropbears. Haven't lost a single visitor to a dropbear attack for years now.

ant-mac

Well I always make sure to warn our overseas visitors about vegemite behind the ears to avoid dropbears. Haven't lost a single visitor to a dropbear attack for years now.
Bugger them! I'm not wasting my vegemite on visitors. What would I have on my toast in the morning? What would I use to protect the underside of my car from stone chips?

Besides, dropbears still have to eat you know...

ant-mac

Dammit! You said behind the ears! I thought you said behind the rear, and, well...let's just say, I had one hell of a yeast infection.
Well, between your yeast infection and the yeast extract in Vegemite, it shouldn't be long before you've finished brewing and bottling your first lot of homemade beer.

When's the official tasting going to be?

I'll bring my own stubby holder and stomach pump. :emoji_wink:

chainsaw_metal1

Should be another few weeks. I'm working on a pale ale and a stout. They're both a little heady, I warn you, but definitely full bodied. I'm just stumped on a band name. I'm thinking about "Down Under", but I'd hate for someone to accuse me of false advertising, suggesting it's from Australia. It's simply, well...you know.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
a dropbear attack
They migrated to Oz? Only a few years ago I was warned about them by a ranger at the Grand Canyon... guess the bad publicity forced them to move down under. I certainly didn;t meet any in Arizona, despite the warning....

Gavin

VIP
They migrated to Oz? Only a few years ago I was warned about them by a ranger at the Grand Canyon... guess the bad publicity forced them to move down under. I certainly didn;t meet any in Arizona, despite the warning....
That's interesting. I thought they were a native Australian species. Relatives of the Koalas. Must have been imported to the US.

ant-mac

That's interesting. I thought they were a native Australian species. Relatives of the Koalas. Must have been imported to the US.
Yeah, apparently they were shipped to the US, in an attempt to help eradicate the infamous dropbear beetle.

What sort of uneducated and unprepared morons would try something as idiotic as that?

Oh, wait...

Carol

Member: Rank 5
The possibility of Drop Bears having any local impact are probably vanishibj ;,/w4wsbncoveffeim]
Hoping that you can dig yourself out from under, Hawk... you uncannily echo the Famous Last Swearwords of the endearing but utterly misguided Birdwoman of St Pauls (fondly but inaccurately remembered to this day in Mary Poppins). As all Londoners know, the migration and acclimatisation of cliff-dwelling rock pigeons to the window-ledges, parapets, statues and bollards of our fair city led to many needless deaths by ballistic guano over the early decades of the last century. Once naturalised in their metropolitan home, they ate, bred and crapped their way to near-species-dominance, second only to humans... the mad old Birdwoman had gone six ways to Stockholm Syndrome years before, and was actually egging people on (even children) to buy more birdseed to perpetuate this invidious life-cycle. She finally went the way of all avian collaborators, disappearing under a spontaneous avalanche of accumulated and freeze-dried ordure which slid from the pediment of the West Front of the cathedral one breezy autumn day, felling her like - well, like a gigantic drop bear made of poo, less cute, and much, much smellier.

streak1981

Member: Rank 3
Since I've lived in South Florida my whole life (born & raised), one would think that I'd be used to the lack of seasons down here. But alas, I'm extremely warm-blooded, which means that back when we'd get the occasional cold snap, I'd still wear short-sleeved t-shirts & tank tops whenever I'd venture outside. As the years go by, however, the climate seems to get hotter & hotter down here (ESPECIALLY in the winter), which means that I'm forced to stay indoors since I can't stand going outside for longer than two minutes. Shit, I started walking at the park w/ my mother over a month ago, & we're forced to go after 6:30pm!!!)

I even spent almost three months in Rhode Island (had to get an internship for school in order to get my AA degree), & I didn't even bother wearing anything too heavy. I remember it snowed the entire time I was there (March-May), & one day it actually reached the mid-70s. Thought I was gonna die of heatstroke.)

However, despite all of this, I prefer to wear pants when I go outside (doesn't matter where), mainly cause I hate showing off my legs.