Information I really find smart people annoying at times!

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
I know I don't type the best and I misspell words at times. I even noticed that a few sentences don't come out right. When I type fast there are a few letters that get lost on here. It could be it's late at night/morning when I'm responding. I had someone question me and ask if I graduated HS tonight. I just sat there and went really. Look I was a slacker in HS, and I didn't care for it. I did graduate with my class. I know the guy who called me out is a psych.. That's great for him, but I didn't to college so hold it against me. Did he ever think that maybe people out west talk different then most? I have meet a few people from cally, some were cocky, others rude, and then there were the know it alls. I just really hate it when people from out of state talk down to me and others.

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
First of all, you should really ignore those grammar nazi's out there. They do this on purpose and made it their life goal to annoy people that can't or won't write perfect words and sentences. Everyone else doesn't really care or are bothered by it from anyone for that matter and you should focus on them and not the muppets that are trying to correct you all the time.

Second, these people you speak of aren't the smart ones at all. They are mostly really stupid, have no life and always use others to make them feel better about themselfs. I have seen so many cases like this where these perfectionalists go at eachother, throwing around all the most expensive, big words they can find and in the end it doesn't really make sense at all.

This isn't limited to cally or people out of state, it's all over the world and happens in every language, so you aren't alone in this at all. English isn't my first language and you would probably laugh at some of the horrible grammatical / spelling mistakes some can write or even say outloud without noticing it's so wrong. If whatever you say makes sense then there is no reason to judge your spelling at all. If english is your first language and you make the obvious mistakes like saying your instead of you're or alot instead of a lot, well, this is being trolled all over the internet since day one and it's not gonna change ever.

duzit

Member: Rank 6
I know I don't type the best and I misspell words at times. I even noticed that a few sentences don't come out right. When I type fast there are a few letters that get lost on here. It could be it's late at night/morning when I'm responding. I had someone question me and ask if I graduated HS tonight. I just sat there and went really. Look I was a slacker in HS, and I didn't care for it. I did graduate with my class. I know the guy who called me out is a psych.. That's great for him, but I didn't to college so hold it against me. Did he ever think that maybe people out west talk different then most? I have meet a few people from cally, some were cocky, others rude, and then there were the know it alls. I just really hate it when people from out of state talk down to me and others.
HPD,
You're doing just fine the way you're doing it. Just like DeJoHnNiE said, ignore the perfectionists. The
important thing is that you join in & have fun. :emoji_hugging::emoji_heart_eyes:

Hux

Member: Rank 6
I had a girlfriend who used to correct text grammar (the whole point is brevity!!). She did it because she wanted to demonstrate her own intelligence because she lacked confidence in that area.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
people from out of state
Do people in your state have a very distinctive accent? You'd be very popular in Britain, as most of us get our impression of how Americans talk direct from Hollywood!
At least I can tell New York from Boston, deep South from Valley Girl, but I know there's a long way to go...
As for people who get snitty about grammatical and spelling perfection on a quite spontaneous chat board like this - "Feck off," in my very best approximation to Father Jack's West of Ireland (not to be confused with Dublin, Belfast or even, gawd 'elp us, Boston Irish accent)
I'm here for the fun, and only proofread when I'm paid handsomely for it!

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
@High Plains Drifter - From someone who has been a grammar nazi in the past, let me apologize if I have ever done this to you (fairly certain I haven't, but if I have, sorry guy). I don't go out of my way to correct anyone on web boards or other social media, unless the person is someone who is being a complete ass, and we're in an argument, then I go after them.

For me, I grew up with a mom who insisted on sounding as intelligent as possible, because she didn't want my sister and I sounding less than that. That also came from her own upbringing, growing up poor and having strict parents that demanded she sound better than her station in life. So it's ingrained in my brain to feel pain when I see the wrong usage of your/you're or there/their/they're, and so forth. But I won't belittle someone for their misuse unless we're already in a fight, or they're a personal friend, and then they expect it of me.

We're all cool here, mate. I won't give you any crap whatsoever about your use of language. :emoji_grinning:

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
@High Plains Drifter - From someone who has been a grammar nazi in the past, let me apologize if I have ever done this to you (fairly certain I haven't, but if I have, sorry guy). I don't go out of my way to correct anyone on web boards or other social media, unless the person is someone who is being a complete ass, and we're in an argument, then I go after them.
Nope, no one on this forum you're all safe.

Do people in your state have a very distinctive accent? You'd be very popular in Britain, as most of us get our impression of how Americans talk direct from Hollywood!
I never noticed it till I was watching Youtube videos about my state. I really don't think I have one. Honestly, I think everyone sounds different. It could be where your from, city, state, country, etc.

Last edited: