Review Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
QdfNGNGk.jpeg

Another sequel on the cards is the follow-up to Disney’s 2014 live-action “Sleeping Beauty” revisionist film “Maleficent”.

The first film’s star Angelina Jolie, appearing at the Telluride Film Festival this week, tells Deadline she’s committed to the sequel and it’ll begin soon: “We have been working on the script and this is going to be a really strong sequel.”

Disney has numerous dates over the next few years set aside for live-action fairy tale films – “Maleficent 2” could slot into any of those.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Filming has officially wrapped on Disney’s “Maleficent” sequel with the film’s director Joachim Rønning and co-star Elle Fanning both putting up posts on Instagram over the weekend confirming the project is done.

Angelina Jolie returns as the titular character from the live-action “Sleeping Beauty” reinvention, as does various supporting cast members like Sam Riley, Imelda Staunton, Juno Temple and Lesley Manville. Harris Dickinson replaces Brenton Thwaites as Prince Phillip while Michelle Pfeiffer, Ed Skrein and Chiwetel Ejiofor also star.

Filming on “Maleficent 2” began this past May at Pinewood Studios in the UK with plot specifics under wraps, but it seems the shoot went very smoothly if it is already complete. The first film managed to score $758 million worldwide despite mixed reviews.

“Maleficent 2” is currently slated for a May 29th 2020 release.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I didn’t pay to see the first one and I won’t pay to see the second - if I happen to catch the shitty sequel on TV I can laugh at it for free.