Review Mary Magdalene (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
MV5BMTYxNzMyMjI1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDM4NjgzNDM@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,674,1000_AL_.jpg

Mary Magdalene is a 2018 biblical drama film about the woman of the same name written by Helen Edmundson and Philippa Goslettand directed by Garth Davis. It stars Rooney Mara, Joaquin Phoenix, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Tahar Rahim.

The film had its world premiere at the National Gallery on February 26, 2018. It was released in the United Kingdom on March 16, 2018, by Focus Features, and in Australia on March 22, 2018, by Transmission Films. It is the last film scored by Icelandic composer Jóhann Jóhannsson before his death.

Cast
Production

In February 2016, Rooney Mara joined the cast of the film portraying the role of Mary Magdalene, with Garth Davis directing the film, Universal Pictures, Film4 Productions and See-Saw Films will co-produce the film, with Iain Canning and Emile Sherman serving as producers.[4] In April 2016, Joaquin Phoenix was in talks to portray the role of Jesus Christ.[5] In July 2016, Chiwetel Ejiofor and Tahar Rahim joined the cast of the film.[6][7] In September 2016, Hadas Yaron joined the cast of the film.[8] Hildur Guðnadóttir and Jóhann Jóhannsson composed the film's score, the latter's final score before his death in February 2018.[9][10]

Filming

Principal photography began on October 3, 2016[11][12] and concluded on December 2, 2016.[13] The film was shot in multiple locations in Southern Italy including Matera in Basilicata, Gravina in Puglia in Apulia, Trapani in Sicily and Naples [14]in Campania.[15]

Release

In February 2016, it was announced Focus Features will distribute the film worldwide except for New Zealand and Australia, where The Weinstein Company and Transmission Films will distribute, respectively.[16] It was originally scheduled to be released in the United States and Canada on November 24, 2017.[17] In August 2017, the release was pushed back to March 30, 2018,[18] In January 2018, it was pulled from the schedule.[19] In March 2018, it was announced The Weinstein Company would no longer distribute the film, and the producers were attempting to find another distributor to release the film.[20]

The film had its world premiere at the National Gallery on February 26, 2018.[21] It screened at the Audi Dublin International Film Festival on February 28, 2018.[22] It was released in the United Kingdom on March 16, 2018,[23] and in Australia on March 22, 2018.[24]

Critical reception

Mary Magdalene holds a 46% approval rating on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 41 reviews, with a weighted average of 5.6/10.[25] On Metacritic, the film holds a rating of 45 out of 100, based on 7 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews"

Doctor Omega

IFC Films has acquired U.S. rights to the biblical drama “Mary Magdalene” starring Rooney Mara, Joaquin Phoenix and Chiwetel Ejiofer. The distributor has set an April 12th release for the project from “Lion” director Garth Davis and opened last year in numerous global territories, but its North American rights were caught up in The Weinstein Company bankruptcy.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
The trailer doesn't impress me.

Where do people get the idea that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute btw? The Bible never says she was a prostitute. Is she a prostitute in this movie? (Even if she's not, which is novel, the trailer still doesn't impress me.)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Where do people get the idea that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute btw? The Bible never says she was a prostitute. Is she a prostitute in this movie?
I just woke up, so I can't be exact in the details, but there were a shitload of Marys in that section of the new testament, and a very influential priest/cardinal basically smashed a couple of them due to laziness or for manipulation purposes. There was Magdalene, who scholars believe was an upstanding woman in society who happened to follow The Nazz, and there was another Mary who was a prostitute, or thought to be. This asshole basically fused them, and it became canon, somehow (again, I want to say the guy was a cardinal, hence why so many people bought into it).

When I wake up a little more, I'll find more details for you, Seeker.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I think most patriarchal church leaders were/are assholes.

So this film might piss off conservative Christians eh? It might be good for something. The trailer still didn’t impress me though.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
It doesn't help that Rooney Mara can't act. Like, she has one expression, and no emotion her delivery.

And the fact that, and let's be honest, we really don't need yet another Bible-based movie.

Maybe I'll just go and watch The Dirt again.At least that had a kickass soundtrack. And tits.

Doctor Omega

Mary Magdalene
The Biblical biopic “Mary Magdalene” finally comes to the U.S. on April 12th, over a year after it was first supposed to be released. Rooney Mara stars as the titular Mary opposite Joaquin Phoenix as Jesus Christ in what’s been dubbed an ‘authentic and humanistic portrait of one of the most enigmatic and misunderstood spiritual figures in history’.

Mary Magdalene New Trailer.....