Review My Life as a Courgette (2016)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
my-life-as-a-courgette-still-526x284.jpg

My Life as a Courgette (French: Ma vie de Courgette; also titled My Life as a Zucchini) is a 2016 Swiss and French stop motionadult animated comedy-drama film directed by Claude Barras.

It was screened in the Directors' Fortnight section at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival.

This is the second adaptation of Gilles Paris' 2002 novel Autobiographie d'une Courgette, as there was a French live-action television film adaptation called C'est mieux la vie quand on est grand which aired in 2007.

The film was nominated for the Best Animated Feature Film at the 89th Academy Awards

It was also selected as the Swiss entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 89th Academy Awards, making the December shortlist.

Cast

• Gaspard Schlatter as Courgette
  • Sixtine Murat as Camille
  • Paulin Jaccound as Simon
  • Michel Vuillermoz as Raymond
  • Paul Ribera as Ahmed
  • Estelle Hennard as Alice
  • Elliot Sanchez as Jujube
  • Lou Wick as Béatrice
Reception

Critical response

The film has a rating of 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 78 reviews, with an average rating of 8.2/10.

The site's critical consensus reads, "My Life as a Zucchini's silly title and adorable characters belie a sober story whose colorful visuals delight the senses even as it braves dark emotional depths."

On Metacritic, the film received a rating of 85 out of 100, based on 25 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".