Fun PC Scam?

duzit

Member: Rank 6
I was wondering if anyone else has gotten any pop up, out of the clear blue sky, I swear I did not click on anything, a voice message along with a new window (my active window went to shaded & could not be used) with the voice telling me they have detected Spyware that was sending my credit card info to God knows who. Then it went on to say to IMMEDIATLY call a 1-800 #. My entire PC was useless, could not X out of the pop up, could not do anything. On the pop up window, it showed my IP address & my Internet provider company info. It was very un-nerving. I finally did an Control/ALT/Delete to completely shut the PC down. This happened to me twice in the matter of about 3 hrs.

I'm using Windows10 w/MicrosoftEdge.

Anyone else experience this? I'm sure it's a scam.

Last edited:

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
Only time I've gotten that was on the bootleg movie sites. On those sites you need to keep the pop-up from popping up. I've have to close the computer down with just the power button. My sister also had the same trouble. I don't know what to tell you but since that bug went around a few weeks ago I been on my guard. I haven't ran Explorer in a few years, I been on firefox and chrome for awhile now. I would suggest googling it, looking up videos, and worst case get it in the shop.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
So far I have had the freeze up screen 2 times now, no bugs or anything. I was pretty scared there, but this was last year. I'm still leary with year thing here and there. What site were you on? Fake news, Ad pop up quiz site?

duzit

No, I was either here or at an image hosting site that I have used for years with no trouble.
I don't use the PC very often and never with any credit card info.

Funny, I did check my Virus & Updates today & everything is current. And, then this happens.
It's scary.

duzit

I Googled & found out there's a whole lot of these scams going around. They tell you not to reply to the pop ups, which is exactly what I did. Other than making sure security is updated, they didn't tell you how to stop them. The PC should be OK, no damage done, but I won't know till I get back on it again.

So, PC users beware of the big bad pop up...:emoji_japanese_goblin:

Hawk4570

Member: Rank 1
I got the same thing a couple times looking for funny gifs & images. I usually access task manager via ctrl/alt/delete, click on my listed browser (chrome) and 'end task' to regain control without having to shut down.

I don't think there's much avoiding these scams until whatever security vendor you use issues an update for them.