Philippine Movies Thread

Discussion in 'Cinema: International' started by clayton-12, Mar 4, 2017.

1. plsletitrain

plsletitrain Member: Rank 5

@sitenoise

I'm excited to hear what's your take on Ruined Heart. If you're thrilled at it all, or puppy-eyes enthused, your sitenoiseness-ness has just turned a notch higher. Hehe.

2. plsletitrain

Ang Dalawang Mrs. Reyes (The 2 Mrs. Reyeses) 2018

A seemingly comical plot with uncomical dialogues, this movie just falls squarely into "miscasted" territory. Judy Ann Santos and Joross Gamboa are unconvincingly husband and wife of 15 years. And its not even the age disparity. Judy Ann Santos and Joross Gamboa just don't fit in a bed together. But the worse problem for me, among others, is casting Joross Gamboa and JC De Vera for gay roles. They looked awkward and too painful to watch. And its hard to manage because the movie centrally revolves on the fact that they're gays. Guess who better plays the gay-man-without-acting-too-girly role? Paolo Ballesteros! Or maybe I'm not fully sold and convinced on Joross' and JC's acting prowesses that it was very painful to watch them both.

The movie was overacted. Judy Ann may be her generation's Maricel Soriano (can pull off both dramatic and comedic roles) but she was wrongly placed here. I don't even know why she bothered accepting this project. Angelica Panganiban was okay, but she and Judy Ann were wasted because of the poor dialogue. Add to that cliches and over-the-top acting, it's easy to get lost on this.

Plot summary: Lianne Reyes(Judy Ann) and Gary (Joross) are husband and wife with a 14 year-old daughter. Lianne suspects Gary has a mistress so she signs up for breast augmentation to revive the sexiness. While in the hospital recovering from complications, her husband confesses to her that yes, he has an affair, but not with a woman, but with a man. Next we're shown the lives of Cindy Reyes (Angelica) and Felix (JC), husband and wife of 5 years without a child. Cindy tries her hardest to live up to her mother-in-law's standards (played by Carmi Martin--she was too much here---really the wrong is all over the place) but despite Cindy's wanting to preserve the marriage, Felix just seems dry and unresponsive. The reason being: he's in love with a man. The two Mrs. Reyeses then embark on their full-blast conquests to separate the two.

Not recommended.

3. plsletitrain

Ronda (2014)-

IMDb’s synopsis goes like this: A policewoman roams the city of Manila to fulfill her duties as a police patrol and to look for her lost son.

And yes, almost half of the movie just shows her literally roaming the streets of Manila.

Ai-ai de las Alas takes on this rare non-comical role of policewoman Paloma Arroyo, mother of a teenager (Leo) who has gone missing. She carries on an illicit affair with her son’s school guidance counselor, played by Cesar Montano while as a policewoman, she carries out her job with her partner, Tamayo (Carlos Morales).

A good chunk of the movie literally just follows a police vehicle running. Even the (too long) credits minutes into the film just shows the vehicle being driven along the streets of Manila. These bits take too long. Not much is said about how she had a gap with her son (or is it just a generational thing?) but we can glean that they might have had a falling out and that the son is in his rebellious state. His son’s sexuality has also been subject of one of the film’s pivotal points but the film just left it at that and carried on with the usual day-to-day job of a policeman, as if nothing happened.

To be honest, even the presence of versatile and veteran indie actors in the film (Bernardo Bernardo, Perla Bautista, Angelie Bayani, Menggie Cobarrubias--now that's a star-studded ensemble!) didn’t do much to me because ya know, I have pacing issues. That problem is unique to me so if you’re one who doesn’t mind watching some good 5 minutes of a police car being driven along the streets, (no, there's not even a young woman staring pensively outside), without dialogue, then suit yourself. But as I said I have issues with these stuff that’s why my interest is easily lost. It didn’t help that the story isn’t engaging to begin with. It didn’t start with a bang, it had a mildly interesting middle part, but the ending was a bit of a question mark. No, there were no cliffhangers. More like, just that? It just faded into darkness. Just that.

Not recommended.