Controversial Rant Space

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
rant-warning.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think we need an area that is to some degree a area where we can post what is getting to us or pissing us off for the moment. Plus, I need an area to vent at times, and I have a lot of venting to do.

I follow many actors/actress/musicians pages on Twitter, and Facebook. I have never seen any ever being so dumpy, and feel sorry for me. I'm not going to follow someone who is wanting pity. There are more people out there having it worse off, and not being so dumpy.

First up today I read this on an actors page that I use to follow and it pissed me off to where I wanted to tear the guy a new a**hole. The line was "I'm broke. Buy some books please."
Ok first off this guy hasn't worked in over 10 years and his books are kinda dull/boring. He watches the book reviews, and shares all of them on his page. Everyone is nicey nicey about the reviews and people flat out plays the kissa** card.
Also on the acting part, It is somewhat sad that no one can say like "Maybe, just maybe you shouldn't have bashed that last movie you did, and you might still be working". Another one "Maybe it's time to hire a better agent, and not one a few states over. Who seems more on his wife's career than your own." Every Time he posts about few big name directors he has worked with in the past and they should give him a gig in one of their movies. I just want to go "Dude, get out there, hit the pavement, do theater, minor stuff, prove your worth the role, and get back in the ring." Instead everyone goes well they are ungrateful, etc. I mean see it from their eyes, for once, they want working actors, and not ones asking for a handout. I already quit following the pages cause of the pity me stuff. I get really tired of someone going feel sorry for me, and people will buy it. I'm sorry but I see so many pity cases around me. I know what to look for, and I can see through this being a buy my stuff ploy. Guess what, a few suckers have taken the bait, and bought if not all but a few books.

Last edited by a moderator:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I had been tossing the idea around about starting a thread like this, so right on. I completely agree with your rant, and as for others, remember, there's a sucker born every minute. If you can get someone to feel sorry for you, they'll buy your crap.
I work as a meat cutter for a grocery store chain (I won't name them, simply because they actually have people who hired to just sit at a computer and go online to see if their employees are talking about the company, and I don't need to get talked to about what I say online again). It's not the worst job, but obviously, not what I went to school for, and after 17 years with the company, I'm frustrated and realize that I have too many benefits that I would be giving up if I just up and quit, plus, no one would pay me what I make now. Anyway, the company bends over backward for customers, to the point of screwing employees. Some places will announce when closing time is, and hurry people out the door, or lock their in door before close. Nope, our company is afraid of pissing customers off, so we get a lot of nights where people walk in just before close, and then proceed to shop. We close at 9 PM, and I have seen customers shop until 9:30, because they have absolutely nothing else to fucking do but fuck with other people. These aren't folks who just got off work and need something quick, no. They have had all evening to come in, then wait, come in five minutes before closing time, and grab a cart and do their week's shopping. I even had a woman the other night admit that to me, that she had just been home watching TV, then decided she had to come in, knowing it was inconvenient!

Also, when did those in customer service become second class citizens? Most of my customers are cool, but there are some who seem to actively hate the fact that they woke up and didn't die the night before, and make it their goal to go out into the world and be shitty to everyone and make them miserable. It's sort of like running into online trolls in real life, except instead of having them call me an SJW or assume I live in my mom's basement, they treat me like I'm three-years-old, or they act like they know my job better than I do. Some days, I would like to just hand over my apron and knife and ask one of them to show me how to do my job the right way. Or stick my knife in their throat. Either one would give me joy.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
I got ripped on a township forum I'm on cause I'm mean and against the local pot fest....

ever since they legalized weed out here everyone feels that everyone else is on the bandwagon. I don't mind it for real medical problems and not like my friends that paid 120 bucks for a green card. Yes, there was a doctor in town that would take a pay out and hand out the cards like candy. He did this for every back problem that came his way. We had 18 year olds with back problems and they had a green card, but that was when my area was first ok'd for the shops.
Now, the shops are really bad over 10 in a 2 mile stretch and the traffic is really bad in these areas. I dread driving in some of these spots. The locals are not suppose to smoke and drive, but they do anyway. When their stoned leaving these places it is really bad. That when they leave the green shops they tend to not stop and cut right into traffic. I have nearly been sideswiped by them, cut in front of, and they are driving so flipping slow to where they nearly get rear ended in the truck I'm driving. So I really get annoyed with them on the forums.
I guess the Stoners or Pot Heads really hate those terms, and Red Forman memes. They come after me and anyone calling them that. They want to be know as medically challenged, green card holders, cannabis card holders, and nothing calling them stoners whatsoever. The terms are really mean, and outdated, and don't reflect them whatsoever. Yet they gather up at the local high times festival, cannabis cup, and cannabis carnival with other medically challenged people but us normals can't go to the concert cause were not special enough.

BTW I'm not saying cannabis is bad, but people need to see both sides, and not be so much as dumba**es about it. I'm just getting tired of hearing about drunks are worse drivers, then they are.

Also it sucks to go to the stores around here at times cause thats all you can smell is some really nasty skunky a** smelling stuff on some people. Everyone from young to old, and it's really weird to see the elder on this stuff at times.

chainsaw_metal1

I can see where you're coming from. Here in my state, they still haven't legalized it, so
I'm engaging in illegal activity, but I'm one of the actual considerate stoners (I don't mind that term) and just stay at home and indulge.
I see where it can be a problem in the case you're presenting. Sorry it's been a bad experience in Cali.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
I can see where you're coming from. Here in my state, they still haven't legalized it, so
I'm engaging in illegal activity, but I'm one of the actual considerate stoners (I don't mind that term) and just stay at home and indulge.
I see where it can be a problem in the case you're presenting. Sorry it's been a bad experience in Cali.
I'm not in Cally more less out east. My mom has a friend in Cally with a card, and she said medical is some strong stuff. When she smokes it she won't leave the house cause as she put it, "It'll knock you on your a**."

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
I'm allergic (or something) to marijuana. It feels like food poisoning and induces projectile vomiting that lasts for hours. N20 does the same. I never made the food poisoning analogy before but it's accurate.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I'm allergic (or something) to marijuana. It feels like food poisoning and induces projectile vomiting that lasts for hours. N20 does the same. I never made the food poisoning analogy before but it's accurate.
I tried it in my youth, but I never liked it.

Over the years different friends - and my ex - tried to change my mind...

They failed.

SoapboxQuantez08

Member: Rank 2
Today's rant:
All the talk on Twitter (post after post) about immigrant children being separated from their parents.
Do we really have to dwell on it? Yes, it's tragic, and it shouldn't be happening.
A lot of things are tragic, and shouldn't be happening.
We don't have to ignore it, but can we drop the subject?
If you're really concerned, make one post and drop it. Otherwise, it's just the opposite, period.

chainsaw_metal1

Oh, you mean how immigrants who were legally attempting to seek asylum in states with asylum status are being thrown into concentration camps and families are being split apart, while the liar-in-chief blames Democrats for it, saying it's their law that he's following, even though the law is a Republican law that doesn't actually have anything at all to do with what tRump's administration is doing, and is on par with actions taken by Nazi Germany?

No, haven't heard about this.

SoapboxQuantez08

Member: Rank 2
Oh, you mean how immigrants who were legally attempting to seek asylum in states with asylum status are being thrown into concentration camps and families are being split apart, while the liar-in-chief blames Democrats for it, saying it's their law that he's following, even though the law is a Republican law that doesn't actually have anything at all to do with what tRump's administration is doing, and is on par with actions taken by Nazi Germany?

No, haven't heard about this.
Yes, indeed you haven't.

ant-mac

Today's rant:
All the talk on Twitter (post after post) about immigrant children being separated from their parents.
Do we really have to dwell on it? Yes, it's tragic, and it shouldn't be happening.
A lot of things are tragic, and shouldn't be happening.
We don't have to ignore it, but can we drop the subject?
If you're really concerned, make one post and drop it. Otherwise, it's just the opposite, period.
I imagine it has something to do with the freedom of speech. Civilized people of good character were obviously disgusted by what they were witnessing and decided to voice their opinion. Hopefully, the force of public opinion will eventually have a real effect and change the situation concerning those individuals seeking asylum.

If nobody objects, nothing changes.

Besides, if you don't like what you read on Twitter, than don't read it. It's not mandatory.

McQualude

Here's the thing, I'm very liberal but I do believe we should enforce our laws about illegal immigration but there also has to be some leeway. Splitting families isn't the answer. We could end illegal immigration in a year if we wanted but Republicans (and Democrats) don't want to end illegal immigration. This is a dog and pony show put on for the Republican base so they can say ... we tried but those damn bleeding hearts stopped us. Just like during the election cycle they make a big noise about abortion but once a Republican is elected, it becomes a non-issue again. Republicans get elected on anger and tricks and sadly their base falls for it over and over. Conservatives are emotionally driven, if the talk sounds tough that's all they care about.

And if you want to know how to end illegal immigration in a year, take away the jobs. There are enough laws on the books that would punish companies that hire illegals but those are very rarely enforced. Take away the jobs, most of the illegals wills top coming, but that would hurt business which depends on illegals so ... back to the dog and pony show.

ant-mac

Here's the thing, I'm very liberal but I do believe we should enforce our laws about illegal immigration but there also has to be some leeway. Splitting families isn't the answer. We could end illegal immigration in a year if we wanted but Republicans (and Democrats) don't want to end illegal immigration. This is a dog and pony show put on for the Republican base so they can say ... we tried but those damn bleeding hearts stopped us. Just like during the election cycle they make a big noise about abortion but once a Republican is elected, it becomes a non-issue again. Republicans get elected on anger and tricks and sadly their base falls for it over and over. Conservatives are emotionally driven, if the talk sounds tough that's all they care about.

And if you want to know how to end illegal immigration in a year, take away the jobs. There are enough laws on the books that would punish companies that hire illegals but those are very rarely enforced. Take away the jobs, most of the illegals wills top coming, but that would hurt business which depends on illegals so ... back to the dog and pony show.
That sounds rational and reasonable and - provided it's carried out in a civilized and sympathetic manner towards the poor and weak - I might be able to support it. After all, I do recognize the right of any sovereign nation to control its borders - within reason. However, even if this approach were successfully implemented, you're still only dealing with approximately half of the issues that affect the phenomenon of global migration.

There are many factors that can have some sort of an affect on global migration, but they can be roughly divided up into to categories, which can be summed up as "pull" factors and "push" factors. Pull factors generally include the desire to move to a country with better education prospects, better employment prospects, better medical facilities, better living conditions - in general, better living standards. Meanwhile, push factors include poverty, starvation, war and so forth. In general, a continuing and imminent threat to the life and liberty of oneself and one's family.

You might just succeed in removing the pull factors, but what are you going to do about the push factors? When you're faced with danger and death, any alternative can seem better. Even if that includes being treated like an animal by those you are fleeing to for help.

McQualude

That's an interesting hypothetical but the problem at hand is illegal immigration into the US which is driven primarily by the availability of work. Shut off off employment and we will shut off a significant portion of the illegals coming here. Most of the construction business in the US now depends on cheap illegal labor. The guys that roofed my house, all Mexicans. The guys mowing the lawns, Mexican. Working on the farms, Mexican. Doing HVAC, Mexican. If I wanted a manual labor job, I couldn't get it because they would have to actually put me on the books and I don't speak Spanish. We have a right and a duty to defend our borders. Illegals are being allowed into the country because it is good for business and are deported for two reasons: political posturing and when it's good for business. You know it is/was common practice in some areas to hire illegals and then call ICE every Friday to round them up -- before they get paid. The company gets free labor and the taxpayer foots the bill. This whole issue of splitting up families is silly, they should all be deported. But they shouldn't be coming here at all. People get caught up in this idea that what's good for business is good for the country, no, it's just good for the wealthy but the average joe is getting scammed and paying the price, literally.

ant-mac

That's an interesting hypothetical but the problem at hand is illegal immigration into the US which is driven primarily by the availability of work. Shut off off employment and we will shut off a significant portion of the illegals coming here.
What part of my previous post - assuming that you're addressing me - do you think is "hypothetical?

In your very first sentence, you yourself are citing an instance of a "pull factor". And you also state that by removing this pull factor, you might stop a significant number of immigrants - but not all of them - moving to your country. So you obviously realize that pull factors are only responsible for part of the migration problem.
Most of the construction business in the US now depends on cheap illegal labor. The guys that roofed my house, all Mexicans. The guys mowing the lawns, Mexican. Working on the farms, Mexican. Doing HVAC, Mexican
So by letting these Mexicans work on your property, aren't you actually contributing to the problem you are worried about?
If I wanted a manual labor job, I couldn't get it because they would have to actually put me on the books and I don't speak Spanish. We have a right and a duty to defend our borders. Illegals are being allowed into the country because it is good for business and are deported for two reasons: political posturing and when it's good for business.
As I said previously, I do recognize the right of any sovereign nation to control its borders - within reason. And by that. I mean the mothods they choose to employ to carry out the control program.
You know it is/was common practice in some areas to hire illegals and then call ICE every Friday to round them up -- before they get paid. The company gets free labor and the taxpayer foots the bill.
It sounds to me like these immigrants are only part of the problem that your nation is facing.

It also sounds to me like you're deporting the wrong people.
This whole issue of splitting up families is silly, they should all be deported. But they shouldn't be coming here at all.
Shouldn't they?

What about your recent ancestors? Should they have come to America?
People get caught up in this idea that what's good for business is good for the country, no, it's just good for the wealthy but the average joe is getting scammed and paying the price, literally.
Actually, in general, immigration is good for the economy of a country. If it's done appropriately and the people are treated properly.

However, how do you think all of this got started in the first place? Part of the reason why it started was because desperate immigrants, eager to provide a better life for themselves and their children, were willing to do what it took, whilst the people who were already citizens of the nation, were not.

As I've previously mentioned, pull factors are only part of the reason. There are also push factors.

chainsaw_metal1

Here's something else about the jobs these immigrants are taking. No one here wants to do them. I worked for a year for a company who runs the huge industrialized hog farms. Horrible places with back-breaking work. And while you can find a lot of folks who will do the job when there's not much else out there, the company knows who works harder. I made $6000 more a year than the Mexican guys on my crew, and they outworked me every day. But again, look at that number. They can afford to hire more of those workers than native borns like me, and even if they have some raids on farms and guys get deported, there are always more to hire. Because most folks here don't want these jobs. Again, there are a lot of people who will do any job if they need money, but how many stories do you hear of people who are waiting because they want professional work, and will sit around and not work because there's nothing available in the field that they want to work in? If they think a job is beneath them, they won't do it, and businesses know, these immigrants will. now, I accept that these places should pay a living wage, and be willing to hire everyone, not just those that they can underpay. But at that same time, there are a lot of Americans who need to grow the fuck up and not think that they are above working hard. I spent a year and a half working in an office before I went off to work with hogs because the company I worked for was a shit company and didn't pay me enough. Then I went back to school to finish a degree so I could go back to working in an office, and shit went sideways, and now I've been working as a meat cutter for 17 years. Am I pissed? Yes. But I have a family to support, and so I do what I need to. I live in an area where you see a lot of people who simply live off of the government. White folks. Who then bitch about minorities on welfare, and vote conservative. Our country is broken, and this wall business is a a smokescreen to keep everyone from seeing what's actually wrong with America and fixing what really needs fixing, without pandering to conservatives racist tendencies.

High Plains Drifter

The Drifter
VIP
The whole kids thing is getting on my nerves to where I'm calling out anyone on my friends list. They post the one photo of the kids protesting and people use it as kids behind bars. Even the posts from a few years ago, I had to just google search it and find the truth behind the photos. It's not hard to do but people don't want to put the energy into it.

Besides people are so wrapped into this I want to know what the government is doing behind the curtain, or hiding in their other hand. Everytime there is a big story Washington is doing something so everyone will focus on this issue and not the hidden one they are doing.

We get immigrants up here in my state but they have work visas and come up here and pick sugar beets. I have no problem with them, doing it all the legal way. Plus, I found out that there is a US embassy in Mexico, and the illegals could apply for asylum there, and green cards there. So there is no reason why they should be scaling the walls in the first place, or losing their kids.

BTW I don't watch the local news anymore I have to watch BBC just to find out what the US is doing in other countries. Over here so tired of if trump farts, tweets, or first lady coat is the main issue. I have to watch or read foreign news just to find what is up anymore.

McQualude

What part of my previous post - assuming that you're addressing me - do you think is "hypothetical?

In your very first sentence, you yourself are citing an instance of a "pull factor". And you also state that by removing this pull factor, you might stop a significant number of immigrants - but not all of them - moving to your country. So you obviously realize that pull factors are only responsible for part of the migration problem.

So by letting these Mexicans work on your property, aren't you actually contributing to the problem you are worried about?

As I said previously, I do recognize the right of any sovereign nation to control its borders - within reason. And by that. I mean the mothods they choose to employ to carry out the control program.

It sounds to me like these immigrants are only part of the problem that your nation is facing.

It also sounds to me like you're deporting the wrong people.

Shouldn't they?

What about your recent ancestors? Should they have come to America?

Actually, in general, immigration is good for the economy of a country. If it's done appropriately and the people are treated properly.

However, how do you think all of this got started in the first place? Part of the reason why it started was because desperate immigrants, eager to provide a better life for themselves and their children, were willing to do what it took, whilst the people who were already citizens of the nation, were not.

As I've previously mentioned, pull factors are only part of the reason. There are also push factors.
As I said before, a country has a DUTY, an obligation, to defend and control its borders. Families shouldn't be broken apart but they shouldn't be coming here either so they do share responsibility for their dilemma. The problem is they are not all Mexican so we can't just push whole families back across the border. And some of those family members might be criminals (technically they are all criminals but you get my point.)

And I didn't hire the Mexicans, I went out of my way to hire a local company that uses locally produced shingles but I cannot control their business. They hire Mexicans. Do I believe they are all illegals, yes. Do I know they are all illegals, no. Am I contributing to the problem, no I am not. The blame lies with those who have influence over laws and enforcement of laws and those who do the hiring. I'm no more responsible for companies hiring illegals than I am responsible for drunk drivers. We have a representative government. We vote for people to make decisions in our city/county/state/country's best interest. Unfortunately those people can be corrupted into making decisions in the best interest of those with wealth.

My ancestors ... mine came to this country legally as far as I can determine but that's neither here nor there. I'm not responsible for my ancestors. What about people that have less than you? Do they have a right to come into your house against your wishes and take what they want? If you have spouse or children, should they be allowed to take your children's clothes? Their food? Their beds? If people are freely allowed to move into your house and use your family's resources, does it improve your household economy? Maybe you should try that ... allow people in and out of your house unchecked and let me know how that works out for you. That's the difference between reality and hypotheticals.

Legal immigration can be good for an economy, ... but we are talking unchecked and inappropriate immigration. Hypotheticals aren't going to solve the problem. And partially, or mostly, solving a problem is not failure. Mostly solving a problem is mostly solving a problem. And removing the availability of jobs will significantly curtail illegal immigration.

McQualude

Here's something else about the jobs these immigrants are taking. No one here wants to do them.
No one wants to do most jobs, that's why companies pay people. No one wants to sling burgers, spend 9 hours in a bank window, at a cash register, or bag groceries, or many other things. That excuse that no one will do those jobs is BS, it's just that no one will do them as cheaply as illegals.

Protecting our borders is not racist and protecting immigrants isn't liberalism. This is a political issue that shouldn't be political. People should be treated respectfully but they became criminals when they crossed the border illegally. The problem is that each party wants to pick a side to exploit rather than fix it.