Recently Seen, Part 11 (December 2017)

ebossert

Member: Rank 3
Damn food poisoning and a common cold messed up some of my movie-watching time recently.

Highly Recommended

Duresori: The Voice of East (2012) (Korean Drama) (repeat viewing) – A class of highschool girls practice for a choir performance, but are pressured by parents and the principal to disband and focus on their college entrance exams instead. This a very realistic, slice-of-life film that feels like a documentary at times. The stress and pressures of success are expressed well, as is the interaction between the students. Lots and lots of singing to enjoy too, both choir and traditional Korean styles. A very pleasant film that is culturally relevant.

Recommended

The Villainess (2017) (Korean Action) (repeat viewing) – A lethal hitwoman (Ok-bin Kim) is captured by the authorities and used as an assassin. The plot is similar to “La Femme Nikita” and more depth could have been added to some of the characters, but the action design is unusually intense because it shifts between first and third person perspectives in a natural way so that each action sequence appears to be one big unedited shot. The fights and chases are filmed in an extremely frenetic style. You can see basically everything, but the camera moves a lot. It’s nicely bloody and violent too, with a mix of guns and knives that are showcased; the motorcycle chase is particularly memorable because it involves knives instead of guns. This is crowd-pleasing, high octane entertainment.

My Tomorrow, Your Yesterday (2016) (Japanese Romance) – A young university student falls in love with a girl at first sight. They begin to date and enjoy happy days together, but the girl reveals a fantastical secret to him. This has a cool twist that I’ve never seen implemented quite like this before. It’s simplistic but thought-provoking, forcing the viewer to consider the perspectives of each scene. Perhaps a few minutes could have been shaved off near the end, but this is good stuff.

The Outlaws (2017) (Korean Crime Action/Drama) – The story follows a turf war that grows between a local gang in Seoul and a gang from China; the police are called in to attempt to bring peace to the neighborhood. Dong-seok Ma is great in the lead role, finding himself in a precarious situation. The antagonist is a really bad guy who brutally murders anyone who is in his way. The fire extinguisher fight is a highlight, but the hard-hitting finale in a bathroom is the best sequence of the film.

Not Recommended

Chatroom (2010) (British Drama/Thriller) – Five teenagers are introduced to each other in a chatroom called “Chelsea Teens!”, all with different personalities. But when one of them shows their darker side, it threatens the life of the others. Hideo Nakata uses an interesting visual gimmick to show the online “chatroom” sessions as physical locations, but the script is muddled and unimpressive in how it tries to portray and develop cyber-bullying and influence. The characters are basic and not that interesting. The acting is a bit awkward. This isn’t terrible, but there’s something missing here.

Flight 7500 (2014) (American Horror/Thriller) – As an overnight flight makes its way over the Pacific Ocean during its ten-hour course, the passengers encounter what appears to be a supernatural force in the cabin. This film by Takashi Shimizu begins with a terribly edited pre-credits sequence. Then there’s a really cheap jump scare where no danger is present. Most of the characters are total douchebags who I wanted to die immediately. Fortunately things do get a gets better afterwar, with a neat twist near the end. This actually had some potential, but it takes too long to get going. Having the twist revealed earlier would have given the subsequent events more time to have impact and would have allowed greater creativity down the stretch. Horror sequences are entirely forgettable, but there are a few decent suspense sequences involving turbulence.

ebossert

Highly Recommended

Glengarry Glen Ross (1992) (American Drama) (repeat viewing) – This is an examination of the machinations behind the scenes at a real estate office, occurring over the course of one night and morning. This is one of the great ensemble cast performances of the past 20 years (Al Pacino, Alec Baldwin, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Keven Spacey, etc.), with virtually everyone giving one of the best performances of their careers. The sparks really fly between the characters. Driven almost entirely on dialogue, the script is very interesting and engaging from start to finish. This is also one of the few films where rampant vulgarity and cursing is used in natural, useful ways. Totally essential viewing.

Ghost In the Shell (1995) (Japanese Anime Action/Drama) (repeat viewing) – Set in the future, an elite group of cyborg agents try to stop the Puppet Master – a consciousness born from the sea of electronic information that can possess cyborg bodies. This highly acclaimed anime film (directed by Mamoru Oshii) considers the nature of humanity and the soul, and does contribute some intelligent contemplations. The shootouts are well done (especially the showdown between the lead heroine and the spider tank) and the mood is a lot darker than the television series, due mostly to the eerie scoring and Motoko’s robotic eyes.

Luck-Key (2016) (Korean Comedy/Drama) – A perfectionist hitman falls and hits his head in a sauna, giving him amnesia. A down-and-out actor switches locker keys with him, prompting them to switch lives entirely. This is a very laid-back comedy with appealing humor. It also has a properly developed lead character and a surprisingly interesting story. The actresses are really cute too; and Yoon-hee Jo is a legitimately charming actress. The filmmakers had the opportunity to go “darker” in tone, which could have been even more fascinating, but chose not to. Nevertheless, this is still a surprisingly good genre-bender.

Recommended

The Bacchus Lady (2016) (Korean Drama) – An elderly prostitute takes in a Korean-Filipino boy when his parents have a dispute. This is a well-acted film that touches upon some subjects that are not explored that often in cinema. Not exactly a feel good experience, but this does point out the troubling financial difficulties of the elderly. Plot turns down the stretch are quite surprising. It moves slowly and feels a bit too long, but this is good stuff.

The Lion King (1994) (American Animated Drama) (repeat viewing) – Lion cub and future king Simba searches for his identity. His eagerness to please others and penchant for testing his boundaries sometimes gets him into trouble. This is a good movie that is competent and entertaining, but I still don’t see what the big deal is. The animation is nothing special and the story is basic and predictable.

The Jungle Book (1967) (American Animated Drama) (repeat viewing) – Bagheera the Panther and Baloo the Bear have a difficult time trying to convince a boy to leave the jungle for human civilization. Scriptwriting is rather weak, with a meandering story, flimsy conflicts, and undeveloped character motivations. The songs are merely decent. This is watchable fluff, but the remake from 2016 is better.

JepGambardella

Member: Rank 1
Highly Recommended

Luck-Key (2016) (Korean Comedy/Drama) – A perfectionist hitman falls and hits his head in a sauna, giving him amnesia. A down-and-out actor switches locker keys with him, prompting them to switch lives entirely. This is a very laid-back comedy with appealing humor. It also has a properly developed lead character and a surprisingly interesting story. The actresses are really cute too; and Yoon-hee Jo is a legitimately charming actress. The filmmakers had the opportunity to go “darker” in tone, which could have been even more fascinating, but chose not to. Nevertheless, this is still a surprisingly good genre-bender.
Did you know that it is a remake of the Japanese movie "Key of Life"?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2078599/reference

I liked the original one better, but it may very well be just because I watched it first. The Korean version is pretty good too. The basic story is the same, but beyond that there are some significant differences if I remember correctly.

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
I was out in the boonies for a while visiting friends, where I end up watching weird, as in USA, stuff. But got in a couple good ones.

2017 - Bad Genius Director: Nattawut Poonpiriya
Slickly made with all the zoomy camerawork and whatnot, but I don't get Thai acting and as soon as the requisite spoiled brat rich boy was introduced I lost interest. And it's not like the teacher would notice people talking to one another or banging out Morse code on their desks during exam time. I have no idea why this film got good grades from so many people.

2017 - Dunkirk Director: Christopher Nolan
8.397/10
A really well done war flick for the most part but it's jam-packed so tight, so as not to bore anyone I guess, that it lost any organic feeling that things were actually "playing out". This is no where even close to Private Ryan or Blackhawk Down or Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket, etc. no matter how much money it makes. Don't believe the hype. It is good and entertaining, tho.

2017 - Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond - Featuring a Very Special, Contractually Obligated Mention of Tony Clifton Director: Chris Smith
9.567/10
The whole Andy/Jim thing is wonderful, genius. I loved Carrey in Eternal Sunshine but aside from that and this Andy stuff, not much. If you don't like Carrey, you won't like this. I find him, here, to be very insightful about life and the creative process. Some of it is a little too cosmic, but he makes most of it work, and sound interesting. "We yearn for what happens at death" [Exhales a sigh of relief] "I don't have to worry about that any more".

2017 - Judah Friedlander: America is the Greatest Country in the United States Director: Judah Friedlander
7/10
I don't watch TV, so I had never heard of this guy, apparently he was on 30 Rock TV show. I laughed a lot, mostly because he is really quick witted working an audience. The "where you from" stuff. And the flipping of accepted notions: "I'm for Climate Change ... I don't want the same weather every day".

2015 - The Left Ear Director: Alec Su
5/10
I watched this in honor of our fallen comrade zelena. It's Chinese and very cinematic. I can see why he kind of liked it.

2015 - Human Director: Yann Arthus-Bertrand
7.87/10
Mostly a talking heads documentary. Equal parts nauseating and wonderful.

1996 - Stealing Beauty Director: Bernardo Bertolucci
3/10
Creepy. Nothing worse than Euro art men.

Last edited:

sitenoise

The Looming Storm (Bao xue jiang zhi) [2017] • China
Director: Yue Dong
6.759/10

I don't really have words for this one. From the producers of Black Coal, Thin Ice, it has that look and feel. It's remarkably excellent in the cinematography, acting, sound design, and place departments. Shot in a 90's Rural Chinese Factory town, with giant smelting factories, the film is so dirty and muddy it might as well be in Black&White. It's gorgeously and creatively shot. But the nugget of the film begs the question: "Couldn't this have been done better"? It's beautiful and dark, in search of a story.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
I didn't know that, but from the snippets I read and saw, I did think it looked like this year's Black Coal, Thin Ice.

I'm looking forward to Wrath of Silence, from the dude that did (the underrated) Coffin in the Mountain ... hopefully it won't be too long (and will be subbed when it does come).

plsletitrain

Blue (South Korea, 2003)

I see its not listed on IMDb. Their loss. Good thing I took from ebossert's recommendation. This is one of those rarely mentioned films which deserves to be commended and deserves to belong to someone's top whatever list. I don't know if its underrated (technically not rated on IMDb hehe) but I'm glad I listed this on my to watch list and gave it a go.

Run time isn't too painful. No unnecessary scenes, no dull moments, everything fell into place. It was very refreshing to see A-list actor Shin Hyun-joon act so dorky and funny. First parts sent me laughing so hard. Little did I know I was about to cry in the end. I promised myself I wouldn't cry because I know how its all going to end up--someone gets hurt, someone sacrifices, or someone dies. I've seen it all before. But the way they portrayed the scene still struck like a knife. I lost to my emotions and felt sad. Its a very touching movie of friendship and brotherhood (there's a romance part but I guess it was just a side story to give more emphasis to the friendship part).

I wasn't supposed to give a synopsis because we can just google it but since there's no synopsis provided on IMDb I'll provide one here. The story takes place in the navy. Two childhood best friends, Kim Jun and Tae-hyun (damn I usually refer to IMDb for the names but now my task is hard without it) are like brothers. They fell for the same woman, who's also in the navy. Kim Jun (played by Shin Hyun-joon) was the achiever between them. He had the woman, he was on top of his league, he was revered in his career. He's also very funny and happy-go-lucky. He's all smiles when he faces everyone but deep inside, he knows his struggles and the sacrifices he has to make for his bestfriend. Moved by envy, Tae-hyun starts to act weird and suddenly turns into a madman. He wanted to take part in his best friend's achievements too. He tried to woo the woman, he sought for promotion, he pursued to prove his name. This is where their friendship starts to fall off. A dangerous mission sends them both into the pits of the ocean and they're confronted with situations that call for hard decisions that will ultimately define their friendship.

Highly recommended.

plsletitrain

I see, thanks sitenoise. Whenever I search for a movie I just use the search bar. I typed Blue and it didn't show. I also typed Beurru and it still didn't show. They have to work on this dilemma.

sitenoise

The Dark Maidens (Ankoku joshi) Girls in the Dark [2017] • Japan
Director: Saiji Yakumo (of My Pretend Girlfriend fame)
3.01/10

The acting level here is below that of a school play, and the crazy thing is there are people who thought it was worth filming. It boggles the mind. Pre-pubescent high-schoolers unknowingly eat a classmate. Those wacky Japanese! Punt.

A Special Lady (Mi-ok) [2017] • South Korea
Director: some asshole who apprenticed under Kim Jee-woon
1/10

Film starts with showing a bunch of naked women. It took less than two minutes before some asshole started kicking one of them. The New Korean Wave!

Last edited:

divemaster13

The Legend Is Born: Ip Man (aka Ip Man 3) (2010)

A prequel or origin story of Ip Man. The original 2008 movie, starring Donnie Yen, was fantastic--one of the best "recent" martial arts films I've seen. The sequel, also starring Donnie Yen, was also very very good.

This movie (The Legend Is Born: Ip Man), which does NOT star Donnie Yen, tells the story of Ip Man as a teenager. He mixes with westerners, goes to a Catholic school, and refines his martial art style, which causes conflict with some of the more traditionally minded teachers. He is crushed on by one of the school's female students, but he only has a heart for this rich girl he met. Most of the antagonism/conflict comes by the way of treacherous Japanese, who wield much influence in the early 1920s China. There is also a conflict sub-plot that involves Ip Man's adopted brother, with whom he is very close (until a falling out).

Despite being somewhat hokey and a out-of-nowhere twist at the end, I liked this movie quite a bit. Not as much as the previous two (which were 4.5 and 4 star movies in my book), but fun nonetheless. The actor in the young Ip Man role bears an uncanny likeness to Donnie Yen, so there's that. The girls are cute and the action well-done. The Japs and their Chinese collaborators are typically nefarious and one-dimensional. Yuen Biao has a good role, and Sammo Hung has a cameo. 3.5 stars.

clayton-12

The Looming Storm (Dong Yue, 2017) begins with a brief scene that boldly announces a film of politically cynical intent, so bold that I wondered whether what would follow would backpedal hell fast in the face of the censorship board. In 1997, a steelworks security guard/wannabe detective finds himself hot on the heels of a serial killer. He is encouraged both by a jaded old detective who is way past the enthusiasm and optimism of his young acolyte and by his own young protege, and finds comfort in a platonic friendship with a prostitute dreaming of becoming a hairdresser in Hong Kong. The film sets itself up in firm genre territory, but as things progress, the entropy of the setting, in terms of both the physical and the social environment, takes centre stage. Going back to the question of censorship given the overtly political nature of the film, I think maybe the film was correctly viewed as not being about the Chinese political scene, but something much more global - the decaying industrial wasteland of 1990's Hunan, and the social upheaval that came with a collapsing manufacturing base, could have been anywhere in the world.
But the nugget of the film begs the question: "Couldn't this have been done better"? It's beautiful and dark, in search of a story.
I think I liked this a lot more than you - if I was given to mathematical ratings, I might add around 1.5 to your 6.759. I really quite liked the way first time director Dong didn't feel the need to keep the film within the genre conventions of which it begun, but had the guts to allow the primary storyline to decompose along with the society in which it was set. As for the question "Could this have been done better?", despite my admiration for the film, with all the weighty themes swirling around, it was a question I asked myself. I guess if the question is valid to ask, the answer must be yes

Last edited:

sitenoise

@clayton-12 re: The Looming Storm's nugget. I've never been good at seeing films about people as being metaphors for society, and I don't really enjoy 'politics' in film or real life so I'm usually blind to it--but I do like, and agree with your well put observation: "had the guts to allow the primary story line to decompose along with the society in which it was set."

What I was referring to as the film's "nugget" was 'why did he do it?' The answer was given, I think, in flashback when he was sitting in the back of the squad car, looking out the window, and wept. The contents of that flashback were telegraphed, at least to me, when we first saw it. There was something about how that was handled that took the wind out of the film's sails. I don't know how I would have done it differently but that's how I responded to it.

As I wrote, most aspects of the film were remarkably excellent. It was a personal film for me, a character study. And that flashback was certainly an understandable motivation. Because ... Yikes!

I hope everyone gets a chance to see this film. I recommend it!

Daniel Larusso

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie (2nd viewing)

2001 ‘カウボーイビバップ 天国の扉’ Directed by Shinichiro Watanabe
It keeps the quality of the tv show which is one of my favourite animes of all time. It has such an incredibly rich world and it's easy to get lost in it. Animation is excellent and characters are very likeable.
9/10

clayton-12

@clayton-12 What I was referring to as the film's "nugget" was 'why did he do it?' The answer was given, I think, in flashback when he was sitting in the back of the squad car, looking out the window, and wept. The contents of that flashback were telegraphed, at least to me, when we first saw it.
Aargh ... I have no recollection of any flashback at that point in time - I'll either have to be enlightened, or wait until I can check back in. I had thought that the answer to that question was straightforward, although I did read another review that alluded to some ambiguity.

The unanswered question I had - and I think that it was appropriately left unanswered, because none of the characters would be able to articulate the answer - was why the old cop didn't tell Yu ("Yu" as in "worthless") the thing that he didn't tell? Or maybe the answer is superficial (i.e. because it was really none of Yu's business)?

sitenoise

Aargh ... I have no recollection of any flashback at that point in time - I'll either have to be enlightened, or wait until I can check back in. I had thought that the answer to that question was straightforward, although I did read another review that alluded to some ambiguity.

The unanswered question I had - and I think that it was appropriately left unanswered, because none of the characters would be able to articulate the answer - was why the old cop didn't tell Yu ("Yu" as in "worthless") the thing that he didn't tell? Or maybe the answer is superficial (i.e. because it was really none of Yu's business)?
LOL - I'm not sure of the detail of which you speak. Do you mean the thing in the envelope? I was a bit perplexed by the ongoing post-ending ending ending ending bits.

My favorite scene was the one in the salon where Yanxi finds some reading material and then discusses it with Yu. Super hot in an uncomfortable way. That actress made the film soar in that scene.

After that, the scene on the bridge above the tracks was a breath of fresh air. When the old copper asks Yu "What was the point of all this"?, Yu flashes back to that scene.

That's my perspective on the nugget. I would have ended the film right there.

clayton-12

LOL - I'm not sure of the detail of which you speak. Do you mean the thing in the envelope? I was a bit perplexed by the ongoing post-ending ending ending ending bits.

My favorite scene was the one in the salon where Yanxi finds some reading material and then discusses it with Yu. Super hot in an uncomfortable way. That actress made the film soar in that scene.

After that, the scene on the bridge above the tracks was a breath of fresh air. When the old copper asks Yu "What was the point of all this"?, Yu flashes back to that scene.

That's my perspective on the nugget. I would have ended the film right there.
Yes, the thing in the envelope - it was the detail of the case that , if revealed, would have dashed Yu's hopes and dreams for a better tomorrow. But also if revealed, Yu wouldn't have gone batshit crazy to the point he did, and done what he did to avenge/clease/make sense of/shift blame for what happened on the bridge. For me, the revelation in the envelope, and Yu's protege's confession, were the two pivotal moments in the film.

Speaking of the ongoing post-ending ending ending ending bits, it wasn't until the last scene, when the snow started to fall, that I made a connection between the title and the dates - the looming storm was as much a reference to the economic crisis of the late 1990s as it was to the devastation of the snowstorms that hit south east China in 2008.

sitenoise

the revelation in the envelope, and Yu's protege's confession, were the two pivotal moments in the film.
I think you're right about the pivotal moments. They both seemed designed to leave Yu free to live and find meaning in his fantasy world. Social Metaphor much? lol

I revisited that section of the film and it reminded me of how silly and unrealistic the chase scene that preceded it was. I wonder why the director chose to make it so long and unrealistic. That part really took me out of the film. Chase scenes are like gun fights.