Recently Seen, Part 13 (February 2018)

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
Anyone who still thinks Korea does formulaic Hollywood crap better than Hollywood is in denial.
Ouch. sad5.gif I am not in denial!!!!!!!! fight7.gif I still love them. How can you fault a woman in love??? sad2.gif Uh-oh, my Korean ship is fast sinking. I think I need zelena to paddle with me.

No seriously, I don't think there's still a theme/concept/formula that's never been done before. Movies get released by the minute, there's a chance that one movie is a re-hash of another. There are elements that one can identify from the other, but that doesn't mean that they've become generic. I say it all boils down to execution. What I'm still fond of Korean films is its Koreanness. The craziness, although its not necessarily unique or a first. They're explorative and innovative. At least there's still the element of retaining their own identity. It may be in the form of language (as opposed to say, some Filipino films where almost half of the dialogue uses Western language) or the distinctly Korean culture of spanking and shouting.

Guys don't leave me!!!!!!

sitenoise

I wish I could say: for every Along with the Gods there is an A Quiet Dream (or an M, or A Blind River).

We do need zelena to keep us full of hope and love.

My fear, and I think comrade Z disagrees, but is that Korea is entering the same sick loop Hollywood got into: Instead of funding fifty $10,000,000 films they will only fund ONE $500,000,000 film. I exaggerate for effect, but it's the nature of technology. The Atom Bomb effect. "We made it, we have to use it to see what it does". That's what all the Big Budget High Technology movies are like. Some are good, some are bad.

Having said that, you should check out Along with the Gods. It is quite funny, in a kind of Koreany way. But it is also a lot like the witty banter and snarky facial expressions you see in Avengers movies.

The Avengers [2012] • USA 8.7/10
Avengers: Age of Ultron [2015] • USA 9.2/10

Justice League [2017] • USA, UK, Canada 2.3/10
Wonder Woman rocks my world but the rest is insufferable.

I'm totally with you that it comes down to execution, and that Koreans are top notch at it.

sitenoise

I'm still pissed fmm.gif I read a letterboxd review that said "the movie is devoid of any truth. Everything is calculated".

It's like Professional Wrestling.

There's a side plot which knee-jerks its way in and out of the flick about the hero's brother. Here's what's totally Korean: he gets to be murdered, buried alive, and commit suicide. One form of death would not suffice. But the other Korean thing is the same thing: he gets to be murdered, buried alive, and commit suicide. Their plot writing is full of what I've called the "Haha made you look" bullshit complexity which tries to fool you into thinking it's smart.

b&b-boring.gif

plsletitrain

I read a letterboxd review that said "the movie is devoid of any truth. Everything is calculated".
I dare anyone to come up with an inherently unique concept for a film and it will only take a matter of time before someone injects that that concept has been told before, in one form or another. Truth be told, nothing is original anymore. Everything's calculated. You can't claim a clear copyright of a concept, unless it was an obvious piracy. South Korean industry doesn't follow track from Hollywood. Its not in their minds. They're not here to impress. They're a unique bunch of crazies and creative minds. Any hollywood-ness of their concept comes as a coincidence, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not kissing Korea's ass but my take on these recent upsurge of complaints against their film making is something I really can't see. They've had their hits and miss. Mostly hits for me, mostly miss for some. They're still a distinct brand and I don't know if its because I have not seen much from them (but to be fair to me I think I've seen quite a handful of Korean films already) but I still honestly think they've got it in them. I'm not giving up.

sitenoise

I'm not talking AT ALL about this thing of originality or concepts that have been done before. No problem with that. As you say, it's all about the execution. And I'm not saying everything isn't calculated. I'm saying some calculations are better than others. I'm saying that Korea is inching towards calculating in that way comrade zelena thought of Pixar. Pure calculation. Nothing organic, no truth, not real.

I'm also only talking about these big budget films, mostly films about rich and powerful men and their rich and powerful man problems, but also whatever the heck you'd call Along with the Gods. I guess "action". But because it's Korean, it's action/comedy/drama/family/melodrama/monster/thriller movie. It's like the people who assemble them are all still in post-graduate scriptwriting class. How clever can they be? How many times can they make the audience think one thing and then pull a switcheroo on them?
b&b-boring.gif

plsletitrain

I'm saying that Korea is inching towards calculating in that way comrade zelena thought of Pixar. Pure calculation. Nothing organic, no truth, not real.
Hmmm...point well-taken. But I do honestly think that they're not inching that territory. I may be blind or too naive, but I really can't see that. All I see is a film, with a crazy plot, whether the plot tickles the fantasies or manipulates me. If I get manipulated, they've succeeded. If not, then they failed. I actually pondered about that manipulating the audience thing. I asked myself, if we wish this hadn't been the case, what type of movies do we get? How can we define the criteria of a "wow" film? If we eliminate these films we consider calculated, will we be satisfied with what's left of us? I don't think so.

I'm also only talking about these big budget films, mostly films about rich and powerful men and their rich and powerful man problems, but also whatever the heck you'd call Along with the Gods. I guess "action". But because it's Korean, it's action/comedy/drama/family/melodrama/monster/thriller movie. It's like the people who assemble them are all still in post-graduate scriptwriting class. How clever can they be? How many times can they make the audience think one thing and then pull a switcheroo on them?
I haven't seen the film but if you're talking about the twist they usually do, leading us to a certain conclusion only to prove us right or wrong, I think that's really clever. I go back to my previous thought, if I don't get these films with the crazy plot twist, will I be contented and happy? I guess not.

sitenoise

If I get manipulated, they've succeeded.
Exactly! Manipulated in a good way. A way that satisfies you.

There's that old saying about storytelling: "If there's a gun on the table in Act 1 it's going to be used in Act III". Film makers do this ALL THE TIME. Like that Pancreas movie. It had that little background thing about the serial killer, and then the spoiler alert about it at the end (you know, by that I mean what happens to her). A good con is one you don't see coming, but when it's revealed you say "Oh yeah, shoulda seen that one coming". A bad con is obvious. You see it coming a mile away. Some people might have seen the Pancreas ending coming a mile away. They probably didn't like the movie. I thought it was brilliantly clever--Executed even better.

My Korean problem is when the cleverness calls attention to itself. Not really about twisty endings, but about a relentlessly convoluted way of telling a story. So it's less about the people, the characters, than it is about how clever the story is. You know me, I like films about people. I'm not as impressed with films about (Pixar) technique storytelling.

Having said all that. I think you should check out Along with the Gods. It's got a really cute, good actress, little girl; an over-moisterized hairdo (Ju Ji-Hoon) who I thought was good, funny, cool--the best part of the film. Ha Jung-Woo, who I have liked a lot but here, he's just more eye-candy for you (or not ... Ju Ji-Hoon may be enough). On the downside, the hero is that guy from Sassy Girl. Cringe worthy.

Last edited:

plsletitrain

Where have I seen Ha Jung-Woo before???? Isn't he the guy from M? I swear the name rings a bell. Ju Ji-hoon-- he's quite just the eyecandy type, can't say positive things about his acting. His acting skills looks quite contrived.

I'll check to see if the film's trailer or synopsis appeals to me. But I'll add this to my watchlist and get back to it in another time. I'm still on the process of finishing M.

sitenoise

I don't really know about Ju Ji-hoon, except that he's over-moisterized. It works for his character in this film (for me). Ha Jung-Woo has been in a ton of films. I've seen 16 films with him. My favorites are My Dear Enemy, The Yellow Sea, and The Chaser, back before he became Ryan Gosling starring in films about rich and powerful men and their rich and powerful man problems. A big one for him was The Terror Live. Oh and that film about being stuck in a Tunnel. Probably called Tunnel. which I didn't like, and The Handmaiden--the Pixar version of The Treacherous (as far as lesbian scissors go).

plsletitrain

By the way, I can now see where you guys come from on why you go gaga over Kong Hyo-jin. She's so fine in M; sexy and charming and blooming.

What happened to her.......

sitenoise

By the way, I can now see where you guys come from on why you go gaga over Kong Hyo-jin. She's so fine in M; sexy and charming and blooming.

What happened to her.......
Blooming! I love that.

Do you mean 'what happened to her in real life, or her character in M?'

plsletitrain

I mean, in real life, she lost the sexiness and appeal in her later works.

I'm now writing my review for M, this is so kilig!!!!!!! yipee.gif

sitenoise

what is kilig hmm11.gif

I don't know if that means you liked it or not.

Will you post your review in a separate post? Maybe @divemaster13 will chime in. (And of course I'll have to defend any insults you might throw at it.)

plsletitrain

Kilig is a Tagalog word that has no English equivalent. It means that feeling in 6th grade when you see your crush in the canteen and you felt like he/she looked at you too, in that kind of way. Butterflies in the stomach, etc. That's kilig.

I'll start another thread. And no, its all positive words. I love the film.

ebossert

Member: Rank 3
Highly Recommended

The Looming Storm (2017) (Chinese Thriller/Drama) – Set in 1997, a security guard from a steel factory desperately chases a serial killer in a small city in Southern China. Acting is top notch across the board. Even the relationship between our protagonist and a local hairdresser has some really good moments. Some fantastic imagery involving a grungy steel factory, with large decrepit-looking structures and steel everywhere. When films use this much of a grey color scheme, they usually feel monotonous, but this one contributes some vivid grey visuals. Tons of hard rainfall too. A few good chase sequences to enjoy, one of which is a lengthy one in and around the steel plant. The electronic/industrial score is excellent and very moody. A no nonsense flick with a surprising emotional resonance.

Recommended

Let Me Out (2012) (Korean Drama/Comedy) – After openly criticizing an Indie filmmaker in his class, a film student is challenged to make a film of his own. On the set of his zombie film, melodrama quickly bleeds out of the script and into the shoot. The special effects are underwhelming, the star is a total diva, and the cast and crew are one step away from mutiny. The entire movie is basically focused on the difficulties of film production and the importance of teamwork and collaboration to that process. Lots of logistical problems are shown, from dealing with cast and crew to securing film locations. Interesting stuff, although the on-set spats get a bit repetitive.

The Black Death (2015) (Thai Horror) – Set in 1565, this film begins with a battle, but things quickly turn macabre when the dead soldiers turn to zombies. A nearby village then becomes the target of these monsters. When the zombies eventually invade the village in mass, you will be rooting for some characters to live and other characters to die, which makes it a fun watching experience. There are two bad-asses here; a swordsman dude and a woman blacksmith who uses two big mallets to beat the zombies’ heads in. Pacing is a bit slow at the start, but a good chunk of the middle section consists of a zombie outbreak. This does get bloody and violent, which is a good thing. The ending is a cliffhanger, which could annoy some viewers.

Meatball Machine: Kodoku (2017) (Japanese Cyberpunk Horror) – Yoshihiro Nishimura directs the second film in this franchise. While dealing with a mid-life crisis, a middle age man and his really cute girlfriend (who is less than half his age) attempt to survive when aliens invade the planet and begin to destroy human life. The lead actor (Yoji Tanaka) is a guy who has had a ton of supporting roles in his career, so it’s nice to see him in the lead for once. This gets perverted even before the aliens show up. And once they do show up, it becomes immediately offensive in its style of violence, which is excessively graphic and bloody. It showcases freaky body-horror imagery that combines machinery and human flesh. Creative and demented stuff, but it does get a bit tiresome at times.

Vampire Cleanup Department (2017) (Chinese Comedy/Horror/Romance/Action) – A young man crosses paths with the Vampire Cleanup Department – a special division of the Hong Kong government that was founded to deal with vampire activity. He joins the department as an intern, but meets and falls in love with a cute lady vampire who appears harmless. This as a call-back to old school vampire flicks from the 80s and 90s in Hong Kong. However, this one is slower paced and focuses more on the interaction between our protagonist and the lady vampire (which is cute and endearing). Horror content is the old school spooky variety instead of visceral violence or scares. The final fight with the vampire dude is good, but nothing exceptional. Overall, a charming movie with a surprisingly enjoyable romantic comedy element. Don’t go into this expecting much action.

Not Recommended

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Movie (2017) (Japanese Fantasy Action/Drama) – Two alchemist brothers go on a quest for the Philosopher’s Stone after an attempt to revive their dead mother goes horribly wrong. Near the beginning, there’s a fun, lengthy battle of wizardry that is creative in how it incorporates stone. But like many Japanese “blockbusters”, the pacing drags badly because there’s not enough action and the story is dreadfully boring. Costumes look rather dumb, but the locations near the beginning are great. Special effects are mostly good, with some great stuff here and there (the armored dude looks very real, and I like the humanoid monsters). But it feels like this film blew its budget within the opening 10 minutes.

Bottom of the Barrel

Make Me Shudder (2013) (Thai Horror/Comedy) – A group of student want to challenge themselves by entering the most haunted building of their school, which is forbidden. The protagonists prove to be completely insufferable within the opening 10 minutes. The humor is pure garbage, and is supplemented with dozens upon dozens of loud jump scares. I kid you not, this could have the world record for most jump scares in a single film. There are a few atmospheric sets and locations, but they are completely wasted by having these obnoxious characters scream and act hysterically every single minute of the film. How could any human being find this movie funny? It’s just a bunch of terribly acted douchebag characters screaming at the top of their lungs for two hours. There were apparently two sequels to this piece of crap.

sitenoise

Thor: Ragnarok [2017] • USA
Director: Taika Waititihttps://www.imdforums.com/pedia://filterBy=%22Taika%20Waititi%22&field=director
9.123/10

One of the best comedies I seen in a while, although Chris Hemsworth as Thor was better than the lead singer for Metallica who took over the role after his haircut. My only complaint is that the grunting man standard style fisticuffs and sword fighting were boring and stupid and cheapened it a lot. Cate Blanchett was pretty cool as the goddess of death, or whatever.

South Korea is light years behind this kind of entertainment.

sitenoise

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri [2017] • UK, USA
Director: Martin McDonagh (of In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths fame)
4.967/10

Gotta drop at least a couple stars for the performances, especially since they were given against such a horribly stilted script. Watch The Looming Storm if you want to see a film go where this one chickened out on at the end--where uncontrolled rage and revenge can go.

Even though it's made by an Irish guy, this is where Hollywood really blows. It's a stilted speechfest, oscar-baity bunch of icky poo.

Daniel Larusso

Member: Rank 3
Thor: Ragnarok is good fun and an improvement to the previous films.
I saw Black Panther, I thought it was meh. Didn't care much with characters and story,
The best film that I've seen lately was Blade Runner 2049. Amazing sci-fi film about love!