Recently Seen, Part 14 (March 2018)

Daniel Larusso

Member: Rank 3
Best stuff I've seen this weekend is...

Tokyo Idols
Very interesting documentary about the rise of young stars and the creepy old men behind their success.
One of these creepy old men says that he loses interest if the idol is more than 15 years old. In a different scene, we see a bunch of old men handshaking and acting like children to 10 year old girls.
On the other hand, we see the main start of this documentary (her name is Rio) rising to the top thanks to her hard work and determination. That´s the best part. As for the creepy old men's side it's just disturbing.
7/10

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
Love Clinic (2015)

Korean rom-com that pits a studly gynecologist who specializes in giving women in their 40s plastic surgery to tighten up their girly parts, against a female urologist who specializes in giving Korean men surgery to augment their TAP. These two get off on the wrong foot with each other, and they discover not only are their respective practices next to each other, they are neighbors in their personal residences as well.

The set-up begs for the R-rated approach and in that the film does not disappoint. The language is sexually charged and most of the comedy relies on how well each one can insult the other's masculinity/femininity. The gal, especially, can really dish it out.

This was a "just okay" movie. More of an "I chuckled" than "I laughed out loud." Good enough to pass the time, but not that I'd specifically recommend. My gut rating is 2.5; however, one of the comic subplots revolves around a 20-something neighbor lady whose sole purpose in life it seems is to use men for sexual conquest. Part of the comedy of the movie is her failing attempts to get a rise out of the hunky gyno-doctor. This girl is just smoking hot, no two ways around it. And she gets naked several times and has the best breasts money ever bought. For her, I'm rounding up.

3 stars.

divemaster13

A Girl at My Door (2014)

Doo-na Bae stars as a police chief recently transferred to a dying seaside village. It seems she had some sort of scandal during her Seoul employment and her supervisors want her to lay low for a while and let things blow over. She does have some problems, not the least being her ability to drink copious amounts of soju each night. Like 3 liters or so as a nightcap. But she's determined to be the voice of law and order, even if it means running up against the town's main economic engine, a volatile lout who exploits illegal immigrant labor.

Ms. police chief soon notices a young teen girl, about 13, who is the town's whipping post. She is called a "whore slut brat" and beat upon--and this is by her own grandmother. She is teased and smacked around by her classmates. Her stepfather (same lout as above) is worse, especially when drunk, which is about every night. The girl gloms on to the police lady, who attempts to shield her from further abuse.

I was very much liking this movie. The main actors are all outstanding. We know Doo-nae Bae, of course. The teen girl is the same actress as the little girl in My Brand New Life, and the girl needing saving from The Man from Nowhere. Both actresses do amazing jobs here--Bae, as the stoic police woman who hardly emotes at all, except via those eyes and her ever-tightening facial expressions, and the young teen, who acts out like you might expect from a girl who has been abused her whole life. Or, maybe, how you might not expect. The actor playing the stepfather will have you hissing at the screen every time he shows up.

The plot and story, also, are compelling and had me along for the ride for sure.

Then, about two-thirds of the way in, some things played out that had me saying to myself "if this movie goes in THAT direction, and gives me yet another vision of nihilism that makes me want to curse the TV, curse the world, and curse humanity, and everything ends like that and ROLL CREDITS, I'm going to give this fucking movie ZERO STARS" and give a hearty middle finger to the Korean film industry that seems to relish not just making you feel bad, but feel suicidal.

But no! The movie does not take that path and instead goes in a different direction that I found unsettling, but interesting and, importantly, completely in line with the characters' experiences and motivations. I bought in 100%. Crisis averted. This is an amazingly good and effective film. The only reason it doesn't get the full 5 stars is that I try to give that rating to those films I see myself watching over and over again. I don't see this one getting 7 re-watches over the years, but I'm sure I'll revisit it again sometime. Highly recommended.

4.5 stars.

Last edited:

divemaster13

Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen (2010)

I'm a fan of the following:

--movies with Donnie Yen
--movies set in 1920's Shanghai
--movies where the beaten-down Chinese rise up against their evil Jap oppressors
--movies with robed martial arts students pledging fealty to their master in a dojo like something out of a Hitler rally
--movies where said master kills students barehanded if they disobey
--movies with Anthony Wong
--movies with Shu Qi
--movies where Shu Qi plays a glamorous Chinese nightclub singer and gangster moll when she is actually a Japanese spy
--movies where there is a "masked hero" (cross between Zorro, Batman, and Bruce Lee's Green Hornet) putting the martial arts beat down on evil Jap oppressors and suck-up Chinese collaborators
--movies where said hero gets all "waaaaaah; waaaaah! woop woop woop," like Bruce Lee as he takes on and defeats over 100 Jap martial arts fighters single-handedly
--movies where this hero breaks out the nunchukas to aid in his fighting effort
--movies where the Chinese are, apparently, the reason the Allies defeated the krauts in WWI (hey, gotta give 'em points for the panache)

I usually don't like moves where the bad guys have the hero dead to rights (or, in this case, strapped to an electric chair zapping him with the juice), and the lead bad guy comes in and says "ah, let him free so he can go recover and then show up to my dojo and fight my 100 henchmen and then go mana-a-mano with me." But in this case, I forgive it because it is just so f'ing cool.

4 stars

plsletitrain

Member: Rank 5
@divemaster13

These are my first Asian films. Martial arts-Kung Fu type. Before, I was under the (mis) conception that Asian films equate Kung Fu. Of course, over time I've proven it to be wrong. I've left my martial arts binge-watching when I started to join the Asia board because I found there are so much more to Asian movies than the Martial Arts. But I miss these types. I will get back to them once in awhile now.

Daniel Larusso

Member: Rank 3

Your Lie in April (2016)
Depressed boy meets overly happy girl that changes his life.
Girl is very cute and movie makes you get attached to her as much as possible.
The emotional music, the flashbacks of happy memories in slow-motion and the drops in the actors' eyes, I've had enough of these japanese melodramas back in highschool to know how it all ends.
2/10

Radiance (2017)
6/10

THe Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)
5/10

Last edited:

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
Do you guys see ads on this site? I just updated my iPhone and when I visited this site there was a giant "3.75%" Mortgage Rate" ad taking up the whole screen. I have an adblocker that maybe hadn't kicked in yet. I restarted my phone, dinked around a little, and I no longer see the ad. I've never seen any when visiting here on my laptop--with all kinds of ad blockers running, so I don't know if they are here and I'm just not seeing them or ... well ... I dunno.

If this site starts with those kind of obnoxious ads, I'm gone.

divemaster13

There's an ad "rectangle" at the top of the page, but it doesn't cover anything for me or do any expanding, wiggling around the page, or make any sudden noises. It's easy enough for me to ignore.