Recently Seen, Part 16 (May 2018)

Discussion in 'Cinema: International' started by Daniel Larusso, May 5, 2018.

1. Daniel Larusso

Daniel Larusso Member: Rank 3

Best films I've watched lately...

[​IMG]
    Your Name. (2016) - 2nd viewing
    Beautiful love/fantasy/time travel story that covers emotions of falling in love for someone even if you haven't actually met. The feeling that someone out there loves you. Characters are so likeable and the animation is wonderful. Romance and comedy is so well balanced. Soundtrack is very catchy. Not only my favourite film from director Makoto Shinkai but also my favourite anime film of all time.
    9/10

Die Hard (1988)
    I can't believe I had never seen this film before. Around 10 years ago I rented Die Hard with a Vengeance (the 3rd one with Samuel L. Jackson) thinking that it was the original film. I thought it was okay but didn't care enough to watch the sequels until now. Only when I was watching the first film in the series I realized that I had never seen before, it blew my mind. What a great film!
    8/10

... and the worst:

Fires on the Plain (2014)
    Awfully cheap, feels like a student film.
    1/10

Outrage Coda (2017)
    Not a fan of the Outrage films...
    3/10

Die Hard 4 & 5
    Bad action films with nothing to do with the original. These are not Die Hard films, they just share the same title.
    4/10 & 1/10

2. JepGambardella

JepGambardella Member: Rank 1

I saw "Your Name" aboard an airplane and loved it - so much so that I bought the blu-ray when it came out, to watch it again on a bigger screen (which I haven't done yet).

I walked out of "Outrage Coda". A bunch of Yakuza guys from various gangs talking endlessly about who is allied with whom and who betrayed who? Maybe it got better at the end, but I didn't stick around.

I just finished watching "Survive Style 5", which must have been recommended by someone here or on the old board. What a bizarre (but enjoyable) movie.

3. sitenoise

sitenoise Member: Rank 5

I've been meaning to watch Your Name. for a while. I liked his foot fetish cartoon but not the one about a school teacher chasing lost voices from deep below.

4. ebossert

ebossert Member: Rank 2

Work has been atrocious lately. This is what I've managed to see during the past few weeks.

Highly Recommended

Birdshot (2016) (Filipino Drama/Thriller) – A 14-year-old girl wants to explore the land beyond the family’s isolated shack, but her father does not approve. She hunts and kills an endangered bird in a nearby sanctuary, which brings trouble. Meanwhile, a new cop rebels against his superiors and continues his investigation into a group of people who suddenly went missing. This is a solid movie from top to bottom. Acting is really good, with Mary Joy Apostol being a stand-out. Direction is also top notch as it creates a quiet tension that hangs over the characters at all times. There’s impressive character development, thematic depth, and social commentary in this movie too. Sound design is impactful and it sticks its ending too. For a blend of coming-of-age and police procedural, this is great stuff.

My Wife Is Having An Affair This Week (aka Listen To Love) (2016) (Korean Romantic Comedy/Drama Television Series) – A TV program director (Sun-kyun Lee) suspects that his wife (Ji-hyo Song) is having an affair. If you think this K-drama is going to cop-out with its premise, it does not! The script explores the psychological impact of infidelity. There’s a lot of very direct dialogue in this show, with some difficult conversations being had by many characters. This definitely has a more serious romantic/dramatic edge to it. For some reason, I really wanted this marriage to survive and these two characters to end up together. I’ve never seen a K-drama that showcases marriage as something this difficult, since it’s portrayed as a constant struggle. With that said, there’s plenty of comedy that’s blended in and somehow works really well. This is perfectly cast, interesting, and rather brief at only 12 episodes (70 minutes each). Impressive stuff that’s based on a J-drama from 2007, which I haven’t seen.

Recommended

Dear Etranger (2017) (Japanese Drama) – A 40-year old man (Tadanobu Asano) sees his life change when his wife gets pregnant and he is demoted at work. He already has a daughter from his first marriage whom he rarely sees and two step-daughters, from his wife’s first marriage. One of the girls creates all kinds of problems for the family. This is basically about a man who must deal with his insufferably bitchy teenage daughter who viciously resents him for not being her biological parent. This movie showcases the fact that teenage children are a gigantic pain in the ass, which makes it entirely realistic and dramatically impactful. Asano is really good in this. Deliberately paced and a bit on the long side, but it’s good stuff.

Who Killed Cock Robin? (2017) (Taiwanese Thriller/Drama) –A journalist witnessed a hit-and-run crash on a mountain road when his vehicle broke down. Years later, he discovers that his second-hand car is connected to that accident and he begins his search for the truth behind this long forgotten case. This is well-acted and shot. The story works in its simplicity and avoids getting too convoluted. It’s also quietly suspenseful, with a few legitimately disturbing moments of violence. On the negative side, there are some scriptwriting cliches and improbable coincidences that are used to drive the plot forward.

Not Recommended

Shinjuku Swan 2 (2017) (Japanese Crime Drama) – Our protagonist from the first film returns to scout more hot girls, but butts heads with the CEO of another scout company in this film by Sion Sono. Tadanobu Asano is added to the cast this time, but the script consists of many boring conversations involving dull-as-dirt characters. A lame flick that contributes only a few memorable moments (e.g., a short scene involving falling billboard lights, and the fist fight finale). It’s also way too long at 133 minutes.

Will You Be There? (2016) (Korean Drama/Romance) – A surgeon with a terminal illness goes back in time to see his old flame again. The acting is probably the best thing to see here. Unfortunately, the negatives outweigh the positives. The time travel conflicts are very generic and lacking in discernable logic – likely the product of a lame script. The tempo is also lethargic. This is a dull movie that is entirely forgettable.

The Room (2003) (American Drama/Romance) – Johnny is a successful banker who lives happily in a San Francisco townhouse with his fiance, Lisa. One day, inexplicably, she gets bored with him and decides to seduce his best friend, Mark. From there, nothing will be the same again. This is considered to be one of the best “so bad, it’s good” movies in existence, but it’s surprisingly boring given its reputation. The opening half hour is almost unwatchable because it lays on lame sex scene after lame sex scene. There’s also a lot of boring, repetitive dialogue between Lisa and her mother. Sure, there are a handful of funny moments when Tommy Wiseau attempts to act in this soap opera-ish debacle (especially the last 15 or so minutes). And yes, it’s a bad film that somehow had a $6 million budget despite looking like a Z-grade made-for-television flick, but a “so bad, it’s good” film should not be this difficult to sit thru.

5. Daniel Larusso

[​IMG]
    Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
    So awesome, best in the MCU. Thanos is such a good villain!
    8/10

[​IMG]
    Shinjuku Swan II (2017)
    Sion Sono's worst film since his early works. I wasn't a huge fan of the original film but I can remember that one had a story to follow and a very interesting relationship between our main character and Erika Sawajiri. This sequel feels so unnecessary, lazy and even cheap for a generic blockbuster.
    Story and conversations are very boring, there isn't anything memorable going on in this film.
    I wanted to find some stuff to enjoy but the fun fighting sequences are not enough to save this film.
    4/10

6. Daniel Larusso

7. BuX

BuX Member: Rank 1

I've recently seen:

The Wailing: South Korea, 2016,

Fantastic film, really recomend it. Na Hong-jin, who directed The Chaser, brings us in my opinion his best film. In a small town residents mysteriously die and kill each other. A local detective gets caught up in these happenings and through twists and turns becomes more involved which leads him and his family into trouble.

White Tiger: Russia, 2012,

White Tiger is a WW2 war film about a tank crew who get totally outnumbered and destroyed by a tank they call 'The White Tiger' who is invincible. One solider who survives being burnt alive inside a tank makes a recovery and claims to have seen The White Tiger. He is then tasked to destroy this said tank to help the Russians advance on the Germans. I really liked this film, part war film, part mystery/ghost film and by the end you realise what it was all about.

Full Metal Jacket: British/American,1987,

Stanley Kubrick used to live very close to my home in the UK, literally 10km away. Many of his films were filmed nearby, the crew from A Clockwork Orange had their lunch breaks in the local pub for example. One of the many films filmed near to me was Full Metal Jacket, the barracks scene in the first half, the 2nd half was filmed in East London. So i finally got round to watch it and im so glad I did. It was a fantastic film, had all the marks of a Kubrick film, and covered all aspects of war, from the start, till the end.

The Baader Meinhof Complex: Germany, 2008,

I have mixed feelings about this film, probably need a second watch. However I quite liked it. Left-wing terrorism was rife in West Germany in the 1980's and The Baader Meinhof Group was the most known, bombing buildings, killing politicians etc etc. This film based on these real life events capture the era very well, from clothing, cars and music. Although at 150 mins its quite a long film, with such an important event in German history its not so much of a problem. But here lies its main problem. Ouside of Germany these events are not so well known about, but for German viewers these events are still very recent, so will mean more to them that it would to me and others. Understanding the events, Munich Massacre 1972 and Lufthansa Flight 615 Hijacking along with others will help with the enjoyment of the film.

Closet Monster: Canada, 2015,

Directional debut from the 29 year old Stephen Dunn is a brilliant coming of age film about a boy who struggles with his sexuality, based on the directors own experiences. I really liked this film, follows the teenager from his young days, his struggles with family and himself. With great music, acting and story its by far one of the best coming of age films ive seen since Boyhood.

Amores Perros: Mexico, 2000, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XToRtfQbeHg

Wasn't expecting a film split into 3 parts. Each part totally different, all conected via a car crash. I thought this film was great, expecially a Mexican film. But I really was taken to it. I felt sorry for the characters, a connection with them too. One thing also connected are the dogs, each segment features dogs which really are the stars of the film. Beginning part is quite brutal, although acted, but get past that and its a great film.

This is it for now, more films to follow. Please comment and discuss.

#7 BuX, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  8. sitenoise

sitenoise Member: Rank 5

If I watch this doc will it make me think less or more of Sono as a person?

We had quite the go 'round on this film a while back. Who was naughty and who was nice. What kind of underpants do Japanese and Koreans wear, etc. It's a great, ambitious film, but I think The Chaser is still his best film.

Good golly, man. Glad you finally got around to this. I think I have watched it a dozen times. So immersive.

Been a while since I've seen it, but I gave it an 8.143/10 and remember it was an intense flick. Iñárritu is a great film maker, imo. I don't know why I never got around to Biutiful. Have you seen it?