Recently Seen, Part 2 (Mar 2017)

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
I guess these are not to the taste of you, comrade, but what else to award this year?
I dunno. The Wailing would be my #1 pick, for its ambition if nothing else. I actually rated Himeanole higher in my personal ratings of enjoyment, but the award goes to The Wailing. Madame Bovary for photography. All the other big guns shot blanks for the most part, I think. Handmaiden had ingredients but was smothered in Hollywood sauce.

[Edit] Oops, we were talking about Japanese flicks .... I'd have to go with Japan v Russia Preliminary Round OG Rio, or Japan v Thailand Olympic Qualification Tournament.

ebossert

Member: Rank 3
Highly Recommended

Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990) (American Horror/Comedy) (repeat viewing) – This creative, witty sequel transports the little monsters into a high-tech skyrise in New York City. There are so many smart little jokes that one might miss without repeat viewings (be sure to listen to all of the background announcements on the PA system). The Gismo-clones are friggin’ hilarious (especially the nutball one with the cross-eyes) and the gremlins are crazy (my favorite being the spider one). Great stuff.

Recommended

Master (2016) (Korean Drama/Thriller) – A crime investigation team (headed by Dong-won Gang) goes after One Network, a corrupt investment company headed by Byung-hun Lee. One of the employees of this company (Woo-bin Kim) finds himself getting played by both sides, so he attempts to return the favor and steal a wad of cash for himself. The script isn’t bad, but it feels like it’s playing it safe most of the time and is rather cliched (e.g., there’s an account book that can expose everything, etc.) Characters are also one dimensional. However, performances are solid and help to carry this film. The finale is also satisfying and has some action thrills.

The Menu (2016) (Chinese Drama/Thriller) – A group of journalists investigate an explosion at a television studio which was caused by a man out to expose the network’s controversial CEO. Subsequent to the explosion, this man takes the station employees hostage and begins making demands in an effort to finally find justice for the rape and murder of his daughter. Theme are “on the nose”, but this is a pretty entertaining flick that has a mix of likeable and unlikeable characters that interact with one another during this hostage event. One side attempts to use media to incite violence, while the other side attempts to use media to save lives. Apparently, Hong Kong papparazzi are vicious in real-life, so this movies shows it.

Canola (2016) (Korean Drama) – A high school girl is a troubled teen who steals and cons people out of money, with the help of her friends. She is dramatically reunited with her grandmother, who has not seen her in 12 years. The girl attempts to transition into a new life. The important thing to recognize is that Go-eun Kim is a really good actress. This movie does get too melodramatic and drawn out near the end. But overall, Go-eun makes it worth watching.

Line Walker (2016) (Chinese Crime Action/Drama) – An inspector (Francis Ng) investigates a drug racket that is taking over the city. Unexpectedly, he receives a mystery message from a missing undercover agent “Blackjack.” He tries to locate and process Blackjack before it's too late. This is cheesy, fairly stupid, and has some absurd twists. But I found it moderately entertaining. The cast of Francis Ng, Louis Koo, and Nick Cheung definitely helps to keep things watchable. There are a few funny moments early on, like “You reek of plastic and spread your legs too willingly.” Some pretty good action too, like the shootout in Brazil, the shootout in a parking garage, and a knife fight near the end. This is critically hated, but more fun than expected.

The Italian Job (1969) (British Action/Comedy/Drama) – Enterprising swindler Charlie Croker (Michael Caine) attempts to execute an ingenious plan to steal a huge cache of Chinese gold en route to Turin, Italy, as collateral for a new Fiat plant. The diversion for the heist: a gigantic traffic jam during an Italy-Great Britain soccer match. There are a few slow moments during the middle section, but the action is decent enough. Most of the humor does not work well, but there are a few effectively quirky moments, like the scene where photographers are focused so much on a wedding that they don’t even bother to notice the cars that are zooming by them. I’m certainly not a fan of the soundtrack, which is obnoxious and overly repetitive during the finale. The ending is rather stupid. The remake from 2003 is far better.

Not Recommended

Cinderella (1950) (American Animated Drama) – This is the story of a gentle-hearted girl who attends the palace ball and meets Prince Charming. Right off the bat, there’s too much filler – the opening 20 minutes feel like a Tom and Jerry skit, only not as good. In fact, most scenes with the mice feel like they should have been in a completely different movie. Seems to me like they had a really shallow, flimsy script and were forced to pad out to a short 84-minute runtime. The voice-acting and songs are also unimpressive.

My War (2016) (Chinese War Action) – This film by Oxide Pang concerns the Chinese volunteers who were sent to fight in the Korean War against the U.S. during the 1950s. This is a propaganda film with very thin characters and practically no story, but it also has tons of action. The problem is that the action design is repetitive, lacking in strategy, and uses too many close shots and quick edits. Close-up explosion, close-up explosion, close-up explosion . . . yawn. There’s also too much slow motion. It gets monotonous quickly, and the moments of melodrama do not work.

The Long Way Home (2015) (Korean War Comedy/Action/Drama) – It’s the year 1953, three days before North and South Korea will sign the truce. A South Korean soldier attempts to retrieve a secret document from a North Korean soldier while both are separated from their reinforcements. This begins with an unrealistic but fun war battle, but goes downhill soon after. The characters are complete morons who act hysterical and have no idea how to use military equipment. This schtick gets old really fast and quickly becomes obnoxious. Attempts at drama do not work. Good luck sitting thru this.

Last edited:

Daniel Larusso

Down by Law (1986)
Good script and fun characters.
7/10

Philomena (2013)
Mom's recommendation. It was okay.
6/10

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)
So awesome!!!! It's visually stunning and it has great music. Loved the main characters and their love story. This is my favourite film from Jarmusch and I'm happy that I can include one of his films in my favourites list.
9/10

plsletitrain

I guess we ought to have a thread for bickering about unjust awards and critics' best-of rankings.
I remember on FG days there was an FG Film Club. Its like the members would take turns in suggesting a film for everybody to watch. Then after a certain time, like a week, they'd post their thoughts about it. I thought of starting it with us too. It would be cool to discuss with everyone especially when we've just watched it, the thoughts are still fresh. Problem is, accessibility of the films we might recommend. Like me, I'll shove a Philippine movie up your asses and most of its copy online don't have subs.

Daniel Larusso

Himeanole (2016)
I don't even know what to say about this film. It's both creepy and cringeworthy and overall it was such an unpleasant watch. I might be more lucky with other films from this director.
4/10

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
All for Love (aka My Lovely Week / The Most Beautiful Week of My Life). My sixth viewing. Korean movie with eclectic intertwining of relationship storylines. Starts off light and (somewhat) confusing, what with all the different relationships, but ends up engaging and powerful. One of the relationships is between a gruff, rather unsophisticated cop and an ivory tower-type lady psychologist. Much of the humor in this relationship lies in the "country" accent and language of the cop vs. the Seoul sophisitcation of the psychologist. I was glad my wife helped clear up some of the humor that was based in the language--sortof like if a redneck had to verbally spar with a Harvard grad. But you don't have to be a Korean linguist to get most of this humor (some of it is side-splittingly funny), and certainly not for the other relationships.

I love this movie. One minute you are laughing and the next your heart is breaking (yep, there's a little girl dying of cancer in there as well). The movie is supposedly similar to the film Love Actually (which I have not seen), so if you've seen that one, it might give you an idea of how this movie is framed.

4.5 / 5

Last edited:

sitenoise

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)
So awesome!!!! It's visually stunning and it has great music. Loved the main characters and their love story. This is my favourite film from Jarmusch and I'm happy that I can include one of his films in my favourites list.
Again, I don't think I knew this was a JJ film. And I thought I was the only person who liked it. I'm a big what's her face fan.

sitenoise

On the Occasion of Remembering the Turning Gate
Director: Hong Sang-soo
1/10

Just saw this posted. Not going to watch it. Score is based on the Title.

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
On the Occasion of Remembering the Turning Gate
Director: Hong Sang-soo
1/10

Just saw this posted. Not going to watch it. Score is based on the Title.
Did someone post or comment on this movie? I missed it. But I can confirm "skip it." It's better than a 1-star rating, but nothing really to recommend. A young actor fumbles through two physical relationships with women--one of whom he does not like much, and one of whom he is very fond. I rated it 2.5 / 5. Very "meh."

Zelena

Member: Rank 2
I remember on FG days there was an FG Film Club. Its like the members would take turns in suggesting a film for everybody to watch. Then after a certain time, like a week, they'd post their thoughts about it. I thought of starting it with us too. It would be cool to discuss with everyone especially when we've just watched it, the thoughts are still fresh. Problem is, accessibility of the films we might recommend. Like me, I'll shove a Philippine movie up your asses and most of its copy online don't have subs.
Yeah it's a good idea, it's always interesting when that happens spontaneously. Usually good when something anticipated by a Director we all know comes out. Any suggestions?

Daniel Larusso

Yeah it's a good idea, it's always interesting when that happens spontaneously. Usually good when something anticipated by a Director we all know comes out. Any suggestions?
I think its a good idea too. Who wants to open a thread and suggest the first film?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

sitenoise

Remember when ebo posted his "wtf did I just watch" review of The Treacherous. And we all went and watched it. Pretty cool when it happens spontaneously... if the film is 'available'.

But you guys like weird movies most of the time lollegs.gif

sitenoise

Game #1 of the Asian Club Championship between the NEC Red Rockets and Hisamitsu Springs is this Friday @8:08pm. NEC sports the sassy and violent little bad-ass Akari Oumi flanked by Mighty Mouse, the diminutive Mizuki Yanagita; while Hisamitsu will start five players with Olympic experience and a big Russian or something. Sound good? I can't wait. I'm in love with the Oumi Red Rockets.

Hmmm. Next films in my queue are Pieta in the Toilet, a couple USA films and I want to finally get around to viewing Flying Colors. Having said that, I have also pushed Mystery of Rambo to an imminent watch.. @divemaster13 just reviewed it nicely.

I think the two in bold would be good: a classic old-timey flick that we should all have under our belts and a new entry in the quiet poignancy parade.

plsletitrain

@ everyone

I think with regard to accessibility of films, in FG one of their guidelines is that the movie must be available on youtube. And at some times they even posted the link (I wonder how that worked with the admins). I wonder what guidelines will we use here.

Zelena

Member: Rank 2
Pieta in the Toilet, a couple USA films and I want to finally get around to viewing Flying Colors. Having said that, I have also pushed Mystery of Rambo
Erm.... maybe @plsletitrain can pick one? jk. I would watch Pieta in the Toilet -- I've seen the trailer around for a long time; pretty sure it's a 7. I'm not really feeling MoR. Give us some more options! How about we can pick Pieta in the Toilet or Pieta (not in the toilet) -- the Kim Ki-Duk one.

Where do you guys have the option for those goofy emojis?

plsletitrain

Erm.... maybe @plsletitrain can pick one? jk. I would watch Pieta in the Toilet -- I've seen the trailer around for a long time; pretty sure it's a 7. I'm not really feeling MoR. Give us some more options! How about we can pick Pieta in the Toilet or Pieta (not in the toilet) -- the Kim Ki-Duk one.

Where do you guys have the option for those goofy emojis?
Hahaha! Yeah I'll go with Pieta too, the Kim Ki-duk one. I watched it without subs before.

*evil look* I'm seeing a scenario where sitenoise will make me watch a movie that will most likely lull me (or us) to sleep so when its my turn, I'll pick a movie with gunfights. JK.

As for the goofy emojis, its sitenoise who's got those. I just copy those in my own files so I can use them too.

sitenoise

Well played! happy2.gif

I think you're right that we should go with one available on youtube, or another service. No use picking something everyone can't freely see. Let's mull it over and check availability. Probably a good time to all watch a classic together. I'd watch one of those Shaw Bros flicks Z made sound delicious. I'd have never picked something like that on my own, but I'm motivated by others' passion for a film. Or as Z mentioned, a Big Director new flick. Age of Shadows or Madame Bovary or Creepy type things. Something without Toilet in the Title.

I'm a bit frantic this evening, can't think straight. Lets convo for a couple days and decide on something for the weekend?