Recently seen, part 25 (February 2019)

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
Reincarnation (2005)

J-horror by the same guy who did the Ju-on movies. (Takashi Shimizu)

@ebossert loved this. His 8/10 review on IMDb conveys what he appreciated about the film. It was a good read (I only read it after I watched the film), and I admire the passion. It ended up in my Netflix queue, so I assume he mentioned it here, or someone else did.

I, however, did not love it. Didn't even like it. Let me count the ways.

It did not make sense to me, and it was not interesting. The DVD said it was part of a "Horrorfest" of "8 films to die for." I would amend that to say it was part of a "Snoozefest" and one of 8 films to die of boredom for. :) I don't particularly like slasher/horror or gore/horror for its own sake, although as a part of a clever movie, it's okay. But Reincarnation could be PG-13 I think. That's not the reason I didn't like it or found it boring, I'm just pointing it out.

According to Shimizu's interviews on the DVD, he acknowledged that the themes of re-incarnation would probably be better received in Japan, as that society has more of a cultural framework to appreciate the movie's themes. He even said that he doubted that Reincarnation would do well in the U.S. and he hoped that a U.S. director might see it and remake it in a way more relatable to Americans.

I'm by no means the myopic "ugly American" unable to enjoy Eastern themes, but so much of this movie did not make sense to me. The set-up is that a director (I'll call him JD) wants to make a movie about the murders at a mountainside resort hotel. About 35 years prior, a professor took it upon himself to murder (knife/stab/hang) 11 other folks (guests and staff), including his own small children. In fact, the only survivor was the professor's wife, who he left for dead. After the murder spree, the professor kills himself. Oh, and he filmed the entire thing on 8mm.

So JD casts the movie to replay the events. By some amazing coincidence that I did not understand, every single one of the cast members was a reincarnation of the people in the hotel that day. The main focus of the movie is a college-age actress who is playing the role of the professor's young daughter, who was about 5 or 6. (JD "aged up" the role to be a teen for his movie.). But then there's another college girl who seems to be a reincarnation of that day also. What she's doing in the film, I'm not sure. She's not associated with JD's "movie within the movie" being made.

So JD takes the whole cast/crew back to the now-abandoned hotel to get them in the mood and to film some scenes. (He also makes a mock-up set in the studio). Our main girl sees ghosts. Who sometimes act like zombies. Sometimes they seem sad and frightened, but then sometimes they kill people. Like some random girl in the library, who was not involved in JD's movie but was apparently also a reincarnation of someone at the hotel who was hanged. Somehow the numbers aren't adding up. And if all these souls were reincarnated, then why were they still ghosts? Or zombies? I'm thinking it's because Shimizu wanted to create a scary mood and scene.

Now, let me digress. Ju-on didn't have much of a coherent plot and didn't hardly make a lick of sense either. But it was one of the most effectively creepy movies I've ever seen. I loved Ju-on. Perhaps one of my main issues with Reincarnation is that it seems to try so hard to plot itself...and failed. Even Shimizu admits this. In one of the interviews/commentaries he says that the more he tried to explain things, the less sense the movie ended up making. I get the feeling he was frustrated with how the plot developed. That frustration could not help but be picked up by this viewer.

And the actors/actresses...how to put this...I'll focus on the girl. She spends most of the movie terrified. Both "acting" as her role in the recreation AND really terrified as she sees all the ghosts and stuff. The actress plays "scared" very well. Wide eyes, shaking, knees wobbling, gasping. Yep, she's terrified. However, nothing on the screen is all that scary. Shimizu utterly fails at translating the character's fear into the viewer's fear. It's hard to get into the movie when the person on screen is quaking with fear, and you're not feeling it. Like if someone is laughing hilariously...and there's no joke.

Ok, so the ending. I get the major twist. Because the movie was not captivating me, my mind wandered a bit playing out different ways the movie could end. So, the "twist" I did figure out about an hour into it. That part was actually well done. But the very end? With the surviving wife? And that...room? Are we to accept that a person who has the misfortune to be re-incarnated gets eternally punished for something he didn't do? All this person did was just be born. Not their fault. And that gets them "the treatment"? Yeah, someone got their revenge, but...but... Well, it hardly seems fair.

Sorry so long-winded. Anyone who saw this and would like to tell me how misguided I am, please do! Get some discussion going!

2 stars. And that's being generous.

Last edited:

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
Over the Rainbow (2002)
I remember enjoying this a star more than you. It crescendos to a wonderfully happy ending. Jin-young Jang is smoochy sweet. Big bummer she's no longer with us.

It's a bit of a challenge to stay with the back and forth through time and hair styles, as well as the to and fro among different characters revealing the same narrative points simultaneously, but the plot is simple enough to just let it go. It's a nice romantic series of snapshots with very likeable characters and a happy ending.

plsletitrain

@divemaster13

Reading your review and debate-within-thyself makes me want to watch Reincarnation now. Its there on my convenience store so I will try to watch this later and that Rainbow movie (I like your synopsis--sounds like cutesy rom-com I will love). I swear if I list the movies I pledged to watch....................................................................

divemaster13

I remember enjoying this a star more than you. It crescendos to a wonderfully happy ending. Jin-young Jang is smoochy sweet. Big bummer she's no longer with us.
Yes, the last 20 minutes really pulled it up. I love how Korean movies have those serendipitous moments where one minor decision or a glance in the right direction at the right time (or the wrong direction at the wrong time) can set the course for love ever after...or not. I can't go higher than the 3 stars I gave it, because it takes a while sorting though clues for this memory and clues for that memory, but I could enjoy watching it again for sure.

And about Jang's passing...I know. She really did have a good screen presence. The story of her last days would make a good K-melodrama. Marrying your secret love just days before dying? Dying of the same disease that your character in a movie died of? I'd watch it in a heartbeat. And probably bawl my eyes out.

@divemaster13

I will try to watch ...that Rainbow movie (I like your synopsis--sounds like cutesy rom-com I will love). I swear if I list the movies I pledged to watch....................................................................
Be aware that, despite the cutesy DVD cover, there's not a lot of "com" in this "rom-com." It's lighthearted for sure, mostly, and the ending will give you the warm fuzzies, but there's not a lot of actual belly-laugh humor in it. Go in expecting love drama, not My Sassy Girl.

sitenoise

it takes a while sorting though clues for this memory and clues for that memory
Indeed. My other comment on the film: "It's a bit of a challenge to stay with the back and forth through time and hair styles, as well as the to and fro among different characters revealing the same narrative points simultaneously, but the plot is simple enough to just let it go."
Dying of the same disease that your character in a movie died of?
Just freaky

plsletitrain

Okay re: Over the Rainbow.................is there light at the end of the tunnel in here? Because I dunno if I'm just sleepy but this is as slow and uncharismatic as hell.

Please tell me that there's a makes-me-fall-off-my-chair plot twist in the end because that's the only way I'm finishing this.

divemaster13

Well, as I noted, the last 20 minutes brought it up half a star (from a 2.5 to a 3). So not a wowzer, just a nice warm glow. You won't fall off your chair.

I kept at it, through the mucky parts, because I wanted to know who Rainbow was, dammit! And what sort of relationship they did or did not have. The movie paid that off.

sitenoise

Please tell me that there's a makes-me-fall-off-my-chair plot twist in the end because that's the only way I'm finishing this.
I went and had a look at this to refresh. I watched it ten years ago! December 8, 2008. That amazes me. Those were the Golden Years when Korean cinema seemed like everything was worth watching just because it was Korean. After learning Korea if full of over-moisturized Ryan Goslings, things changed. In other words, if I had never seen this flick and tried to watch it for the first time today ... I might feel about it like you do.

plsletitrain

because I wanted to know who Rainbow was, dammit! And what sort of relationship they did or did not have. The movie paid that off.
Can you guys just please tell me who rainbow is or how she became to be? Because I really don't have the strength to go on with the blandness of the movie. Bland dialogue, slow pacing, a Ryan Gosling lead guy, an uncharming lead girl, etc.

divemaster13

I'll take this one; I'll be glad to do that for you.

I'm slammed at work, but I'll give you the rundown tonight (my time) or tomorrow. I'll step through the clues and coincidences. Just throwing out a name won't mean anything without the surrounding context.

Last edited:

divemaster13

Can you guys just please tell me who rainbow is or how she became to be? Because I really don't have the strength to go on with the blandness of the movie. Bland dialogue, slow pacing, a Ryan Gosling lead guy, an uncharming lead girl, etc.
Unbeknownst to both of them, "Rainbow" is the Jin-young Jang character; or, as you put it, the
uncharming lead girl
The key to the whole mystery is the best bud, who left for the states toward the beginning of the movie. He knew that pretty boy had a secret crush on Jang. But since Jang became best bud's girlfriend, he had no incentive to let that particular cat out of the bag. And since pretty boy has that convenient amnesia, and Jang never knew of the crush, they are both trying to solve the puzzle without the key.

But best bud does the right thing. He and Jang had broken up, if you recall, and he's not a bad guy. He drops the clue that enables the cute couple to figure out what happened. Ironically, that's about the time that pretty boy decides he doesn't want to know who Rainbow is because he's got a lovely woman by his side that he's fallen for.

And there was this part:
I love how Korean movies have those serendipitous moments where one minor decision or a glance in the right direction at the right time (or the wrong direction at the wrong time) can set the course for love ever after...or not.
The sequence of events in the past:

1) Pretty boy has secret crush. Depending on how far you got in the movie, you saw many scenes of the "college days" where his whole photography club was trying to guess who it was--but he would never let on.
2) Despairing of his unrequited love, he decides to enlist in his 2-year mandatory military service and heads off to boot camp.
3) As best bud sees pretty boy off on the train, he unwittingly gets clued in to who Rainbow is.
4) (It's key that best bud and Jang, up to this point, have not been an item at all.)
5) Best bud evidently was crushed on Jang also, or else it was a coincidence (not exactly sure on this point), but as soon as pretty boy is on the train, best bud runs back to the college and he gets all cozy with Jang. They're chatting. The share an umbrella in the rain; looking all googly at each other.
6) But pretty boy is on the train; his heart aching. He decides that the Army can wait 1 more day. He jumps off the train and high-tails it back to town with flowers in hand to open his heart.
7) He sees his secret crush, his Rainbow...and his best bud sharing that umbrella. He knows the score. He drops the flowers and heads back to the Army. Poor pretty boy.

But back in the present, best bud comes clean to Jang, who then has her eyes opened. At the same time, pretty boy's amnesia lifts and he has his eyes opened! Now they can both share their own umbrella, making googly eyes at each other. The movie then goes into flashback mode to show how the different clues they were running down could be re-interpreted, based on their new knowledge. It's very sweet.

I eat that sort of thing up in Korean movies. Add the way the best bud handled things, and add the cute couple getting together in the end, the last 20 minutes made up for the slow boring parts before. But overall, still a mediocre movie. I liked it "ok." Did not love it.

plsletitrain

@sitenoise

When you have time, can we sit down and talk about your penchant for man-abs................................................ Because I really don't like scrolling over the pages while Ryan Goslings in bare abs occupy half of my page!!!! fight7.gif

plsletitrain

@divemaster13

Thank you for explaining. So if I got it right, best bud has found a new love and true love won when Ryan Gosling and uncharming lead girl ended up together? Sounds fair to me.

I wish I saw that part where pretty boy in flowers and left by the train only to see the love of his life sharing an umbrella with another guy, and his bestfriend at that...........................Awwwwwwwwwww, that must've hurt as hell.

divemaster13

So if I got it right, best bud has found a new love and true love won when Ryan Gosling and uncharming lead girl ended up together? Sounds fair to me.
Not exactly. When best bud comes back to Korea, he basically sees pretty boy and his ex going around in circles trying to figure out who Rainbow is. Maybe he feels a little guilty, so he drops the clue. (He literally drops the clue--if you'd seen it, you'd know what I was talking about). But best bud doesn't have a new girl.

I wish I saw that part where pretty boy in flowers and left by the train only to see the love of his life sharing an umbrella with another guy, and his bestfriend at that...........................Awwwwwwwwwww, that must've hurt as hell.
Hurts more when filmed in slow motion!

divemaster13

Highly Recommended

Drug War (2012) (Chinese Action/Suspense/Drama) (repeat viewing) – A drug cartel boss (Louis Koo) who is arrested is coerced into betraying his former accomplices as part of an undercover operation. This film by Johnnie To is briskly paced, with the protagonists moving from location to location as their colleagues perform surveillance and support in secret. The script is intelligent and at times subtle in its use of indirect communication. There’s not much traditional character development, but the characters are somehow multi-dimensional. In terms of action, there are two sweet shootouts: one in a warehouse involving mute gunmen; and the finale which is inventive and violent. Koo doesn’t say much but expresses himself well in a fine performance. This is a damn good movie.
Based on this recommendation, I put Drug War toward the top of my Netflix queue, and got a chance to watch it tonight.

I agree on all counts. Johnnie To always comes up with new and clever ways to make a police or gangster movie interesting and inventive. I've really developed a liking for his movies. I like how he lets things play out, without explaining everything step by step. For example, the scene where the narc detective goes undercover to meet with HaHa. You think it's just normal undercover work, but then the next scene puts a whole twist on what you just saw. One that I don't recall ever seeing in a movie. It's like a high-wire act. A very well-choreographed high wire act.

And that last shoot-out was a doozy.

4 stars.

Last edited:

plsletitrain

Not exactly. When best bud comes back to Korea, he basically sees pretty boy and his ex going around in circles trying to figure out who Rainbow is. Maybe he feels a little guilty, so he drops the clue. (He literally drops the clue--if you'd seen it, you'd know what I was talking about). But best bud doesn't have a new girl.
Oh, I thought he had a new love. Is this one of those cases of "giving way for your friend" usual plotline in romance movies? I hate it.

I actually found him cuter than pretty boy. So best bud, I can be your RAINbow, come here................................................................ lol.

sitenoise

@plsletitrain

I actually liked Jung-jae 'Ryan' Lee in Over the Rainbow when I watched it ten years ago. I've liked him in a few movies where he plays a dweeb, like: il mare, Asako in Ruby Slippers. When he goes Full Gosling I don't like him, like Housemaid, An Affair. Now that I think about it, that's how it is with the Real Ryan. He's been wonderful in a few movies.

Over the Rainbow feels like one of those At Its Point in Time movies. Like I mentioned: if I were to watch it now for the first time I might wrinkle my nose at it. But Jang Jin-young would still be charming gunmega.gif