Recently Seen, Part 26 (March 2019)

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
Fulltime Killer (2001) (Hong Kong Action) (repeat viewing) – Two assassins (one played by Andy Lau in flamboyant fashion) compete against one another in this movie directed by Johnnie To. This is a stylish, engaging and fun movie. A portion of the film is spent with Lau and his video shop girlfriend (played by Kelly Lin) who hang out and chat, which adds some character and charm to the proceedings. There’s quite a bit of indirect communication in this, which may require the viewer to piece together a few things for themselves. The action scenes are good, employing some original methods, such as chaotic water hoses. One particular sequence stands out, taking place in an apartment complex with both assassins eradicating dozens of policemen. There’s also a funny scene involving fake grenades. Simon Yam and Cherry Ying have supporting roles. This would make a sweet double feature with “Time and Tide.”

Running on Karma (2003) (Hong Kong Drama/Action) (repeat viewing) – Johnnie To directs this genre-bending film about a lady cop (Cecilia Cheung) who meets an ex-monk bodybuilder (Andy Lau) with the ability to see the karma of other people. The comedic elements are good, the development of the relationship between the two leads is well done, the pacing is brisk, and the content provides a bit of insight into the concept of karma itself. Viewer beware that this has significant tonal shifts and some dark elements that make it both ridiculous and dramatic at the same time.
I liked Running on Karma. I gave it 3 stars. It was hard to get over Andy Lau in the muscle suit but overall a pretty good movie. Fulltime Killer I rated 4 stars. Right in my wheelhouse, that one.

This post brought to you by my bromance with Johnnie To LOL.

BuX

Member: Rank 1
Han Gong-ju (2013)

I went into this completely cold. I knew nothing of the plot or circumstances of the film. I'm not going to give any major spoilers below, but will have to frame the discussion, so if you haven't seen it and want to go in blind (like I did, and very much recommend you doing as well), then read no further.

The movie starts off with a group of teachers surrounding Gong-ju, a teen girl about 16. Everyone is obviously distraught. "It's not your fault" they tell her, but it is soon obvious that she isn't welcome in her school any more. So her teacher schleps her off to another city and calls in a favor to get the principal of the new school to enroll her as a student. Since her mother and father are obviously absent from the picture, he convinces his mother to take her in to live with her. The teacher's mother is not real keen on the idea.

I don't think I need to disclose any more actual plot points. The viewer is not clued in to exactly what Gong-ju did, until the movie is ready to reveal that. Sure, there are hints at the nature of the situation, but we don't know the details. We follow Gong-ju as she tries to get on with her high school life, and little by little the film opens itself up to us. And with every revelation, we get to know (and like) Gong-ju more and more.

Unlike the stereotypical circumstance of the school kids not accepting, or making fun, or bullying the "new kid," several of the female students are intrigued by her and try honestly to befriend her. Gong-ju revelas some talents that make the girls like and respect her even more. Gong-ju vascillates between accepting the friendship and setting rigid boundaries that test those friendships.

The last half hour of the movie is some of the most powerful cinema I can recall. We've gotten to know and love Gong-ju...and...and...well, it angers me to think how Korean society obviously considers girls. Like something to be discarded, I guess. Whether as a toy or a piece of trash. Once used, just throw it away. This applies to her parents, (some) of her peers, school administrators, and a large number of other adults. Even her teacher, who does show her kindness, seems to be motivated by getting rid of the problem by hiding it than by offering real help. Other adults in a position of authority behave despicalby. There is a scene at the school that is just devastating. When the dad shows up, and we finally realize why, it is doubly devastsating. The musical cue at the end is the final straw. I felt like someone reached into my gut and yanked emotions out of me I didn't know I had.

What makes it even more effective is that the movie is based on a true story. This really happened. I didn't know that going in to the movie, but a few wiki links I researched after watching made it quite obvious that the way Korean society was portrayed in the movie was 100% accurate as to how the girl was treated. This angers me.

One further thing to note: the movie was quite confusing in that it bounced between "present" and "flashback" with no real cues that was happening. I had to rewind and rewatch some scenes b/c at some points I was very confused about who Gong-ju was talking to and what their role was. Helpful hint: When Gong-ju is working at the 7-11; that's the past. The other store is the present. When she's talking with her long-haired friend, that's the past. The short-haired girl is the present. If you keep that straight, you can suss out the rest, but you really have to be paying attention. That's the only reason for the half-star deduction.

4.5 stars
Such a good film, its worth every bit. Shame more havent seen it.

BuX

Member: Rank 1
Fulltime Killer (2001) (Hong Kong Action) (repeat viewing) – Two assassins (one played by Andy Lau in flamboyant fashion) compete against one another in this movie directed by Johnnie To. This is a stylish, engaging and fun movie. A portion of the film is spent with Lau and his video shop girlfriend (played by Kelly Lin) who hang out and chat, which adds some character and charm to the proceedings. There’s quite a bit of indirect communication in this, which may require the viewer to piece together a few things for themselves. The action scenes are good, employing some original methods, such as chaotic water hoses. One particular sequence stands out, taking place in an apartment complex with both assassins eradicating dozens of policemen. There’s also a funny scene involving fake grenades. Simon Yam and Cherry Ying have supporting roles. This would make a sweet double feature with “Time and Tide.”
Funny, I only rewatched the other day too. Its a great film, love it. My only issue is the voice overs, which is really annoying as it just sticks out

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
:emoji_point_right: SITENOISE MOVIE ALERT :emoji_point_left:

Asako I & II (Netemo sametemo) [2018] • Japan
Director: Ryûsuke Hamaguchi
There aren't enough stars in the universe

People staring pensively out the window of a moving vehicle. Check. Only briefly, to my chagrin. Lead actress delivers her big emotional moment in profile but her hair is covering her face because her head is bowed. Check. Umbrellas. Rain. People running. Check check and check. Philip Glass via a kazoo soundtrack. Check. Not really, but it is both absurdly odd and perfect.

Some young Japanese actresses, when they first show up onscreen appear incapable of doing anything. The bad ones try to act their way out of it. The good ones become the character. But what if the character is a meek, blank canvas of selfish nothingness? Maybe it's bad acting. I love that tension ... of immanent failure at any second.

Asako is described as "Dainty but determined"

She falls in love with an Osaka free spirit who goes out to buy shoes one day and never returns. Years later she moves to Tokyo and meets a salaryman who is Free Spirit's doppleganger. She falls in love again. In the meantime Free Spirit becomes a model and movie star (lol) He decides to return to Asako. Uh oh.

That sounds hokey, and it is.

There are a few big hokeys here, but overall the script is very clever. The story is simple with a lot of plot points. And, against sitenoise movie type, it burns through a lot of them very quickly. That's what's cool about the little blank canvas girl. There are several interesting people around her with reasonably interesting things happening to them. It's as if the world is moving at a quicker speed than Asako.

There is the big WTF question. WTF man. I was completely sold. I bought every minute of it. And then the last shot of the film comes along. WTF man. You have to ask yourself: "Is that love"?

Usually when I enjoy a film this much, especially one with a knockout blow like this one, I tend towards hyperbole. I've tried to contain myself here in the hope that you'll believe me: This is a good film. Looks like I have to watch the director's 5 1/2 hour magnum opus Happy Hour now.

I knew I was going to like it. Check the posters:

Asako J.jpg

Asako I & II.jpg

Asako K.jpg

sitenoise

Heaven Is Still Far Away (Tengoku wa mada tôi) [2016] • Japan
Directed by Ryūsuke Hamaguchi
4/5

Before diving into this Asako I&II director's 5 1/2 hour flick I found this 1/2 hour flick. I usually don't like short films but this was very pleasant, interesting.

I don't think it's a spoiler to describe what it's about, what goes on, because I think it's supposed to be obvious but it completely escaped me. Not because it's subtle but because I'm stupid. lol

A 30 something man and a much younger girl live together. The relationship is weird. They don't appear to be lovers or relatives. My best guess was she was the daughter of one of his relatives or friends.

Another girl shows up who wants to interview the guy about her dead sister, who the guy knew, sort of, for a documentary she's making.

The majority of the film is said interview.

There are some nicely biting, smart, psychological bits of dialog.

After the interview the guy and the younger housemate girl are walking home in the rain and the girl describes how she can see it and hear it, but can't feel it or smell it.

doh-aww.gif

plsletitrain

I really don't have much to do watching a woman take swimming lessons..........

Kidding! I'll get back to this later or tomorrow...if I can.

sitenoise

I didn't like it as much as many/most others but I'll defend drying paint till my last days on earth :emoji_eyes: