Recently Seen, Part 6 (July 2017)

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
be able to "see" your layering space and time rather than the scene absorbing you.
There's the rub. There's something clumsy, or cocky, about the way this director employs the technique such that I'm forced out of the scene instead of being absorbed by it. The transition isn't smooth. At the moment of recognition that the director jumped space and time in a tricky way I found my self too often feeling like I got ripped off on the previous scene. I don't want to look backwards. The director tried to create mystery through obfuscation. That's not cool. There's nothing objective about what I'm saying, though. It's like "I love this song. It's got a great beat and I can dance to it." Someone else thinks the song is annoying.

I think Rage is a great movie I found annoying disapproval.gif

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
If I was over there, I'd be most looking forward to:
A Taxi Driver (co-incidentally by the same guy who made me suffer Secret Reunion, but hey, you can't condemn someone for the rest of their life),
I just read a pretty good review-ish of A Taxi Driver. I hadn't heard of it before, didn't know it had our buddy Kang-ho in it, and didn't know you suffered Secret Reunion--which I enjoyed until the ending. I'm on the lookout for Taxi Driver now. It sounds interesting.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
I ... didn't know you suffered ...
Maybe "suffered" was me being a tad melodramatic! Here's what I posted around 7 years ago:

Secret Reunion (Jang Hoon, 2010) apparently went gangbusters at the Korean box-office when released earlier this year, proving that the folk in Hollywood are not the only ones who can churn out an uninspired action comedy with a couple of drawcard names and then make a packet down the megaplex. Entertaining enough, but it’s never really sure whether it wants to be a laugh-out-loud situational comedy, or a serious drama about family and belonging, and as result it fails to be either. Jang’s follow-up to Rough Cut was disappointing.