Review S01E07-Special Relationship

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8

Unexpected changes have taken place in recent months concerning Burnside and Laura Dickens. There may even be romance in the air. They are both quite cold, but with a reason. Laura confided her frigidity is due to a bad marriage, and Neil has been helping her and reassuring her how much a valuable member of his team she is. Restaurant rendezvous and walks hand in hand in the park have become the norm.
An SIS agent in East Berlin has smuggled out of his workplace 10by 8 photos of great importance to SIS ,detailed maps of hitherto unknown missile sites. They must be got hold of. Someone must go into Berlin and fetch them, hidden in the agent's flat, rolled up and put down a plughole. But who? Checking Laura's file, Burnside realises that Laura has a special qualification, the ability to understand totally was it's like to live in communist East Berlin. He ignores her suitability and plumps for the SIS man already in West Berlin, Bob Clements, but he isn't a Sandbagger. This comes to nothing as Clements unfortunately breaks a leg in a car accident. Burnside really has no choice now. Caine knows only too well what's going on.
Caine volunteers.
Burnside " you know don't you?"
Caine " well it was me who got her out of field school. I'll go though"
B: " don't be daft, for this job you must be Berlin orientated, the ability to be an East Berliner. Laura is the only one qualified"
C: " are you sleeping with her?"
B: " sleeping yes, anything else, no, she has a hang up about sex"
C: " I guessed let me go, save you worrying"
B: " thanks but no , she's a sandbagger. Get her briefed"
Laura is briefed on the mission and heads to East Berlin. She's quite relieved to go, having spent recent days learning all about the SIS Hungarian network of spies. Very dull, but necessary homework.
But it's a trap, as soon as she enters the apartment block, soldiers surround her, the SIS agent is there, bruised, beaten up and made to talk. Laura is in the hands of the infamous STASI.
Panic back at SIS HQ, Burnside realises under interrogation Laura will crack, and the first thing she'll reveal is what's recently been learnt by her , the whole of the Hungarian network, names addresses the lot! She must be rescued and pronto. On top of this Wellingham pesters Burnside at a meeting , wanting him to give the marriage to his daughter Belinda another go.
Burnside " sorry no, it wouldn't work"
W: " try just for my sake"
B: " I'd help if I could, but the price is too high"
W: " I'll remember that remark and this conversation", he says coldly

Back to the previous episode,
https://www.imdforums.com/threads/s01e06-a-feasible-solution.4854/

NEXT EPISODE;
https://www.imdforums.com/threads/s02e01-at-all-cost.4942/

Last edited:

michaellevenson

The only possibility is a swap, but SIS is holding no one of importance..But the French are holding a Deryabin, aKGB officer who the Russians and by association the East Germans, want back. There's no time to lose. Burnside flies to Paris to meet Beaumel, head of French intelligence.
Beaumel " I can appreciate the problem Neil. Nasty, particularly as it involves a girl. We will release Deryabin to you , but we want something in return. All that top secret UK/US eyes only material that you get. I want access to it for one year"
Burnside" ARE YOU CRAZY I daren't"
B'mel " sorry Neil, those are my terms"
Burnside reluctantly agrees.
B'mel " to insure no leak, you personally will bring the material to me once a month here, I will extract what I want and hand you back the files"
B: " okay I agree, when can you have Deryabin in Berlin?"
B'mel " not so fast Neil. I want guarantees. We could release Deryabin and then you not keep your end of the bargain. You will put the agreement in writing, signed by Sir Geoffrey Wellingham and your 'C' James Greenlee. They will authenticate it with their thumb print, which we have on record, and if the material doesn't arrive I will show the agreement to the Americans"
Beaumel is a slimy toe rag, but I suppose only doing what's best for his intelligence agency. But Burnside is caught between a rock and a hard place. He has no choice.
Back at HQ,
Caine " the Americans will find out as soon as the French use the info. God what a disaster. The special relationship with the CIA , we can kiss that goodbye. Are you sure there's no other way?"
Burnside " sure "
C: " lets hope Wellingham 's in a good mood!"
More....

michaellevenson

"C" reluctantly signs the agreement.
C: " I was hoping not to end my career in disgrace, but we have no choice"
Wellingham is a different story.
At the F.O.
Wellingham : " Absolutely no! I have no intention of resigning, I want to end up as Baron Wellingham, let me see if I've got this right, I'd help if I could but the price is too high"
Burnside. " we must sir, if we don't the Hungarian network is finished..and I love Laura Dickens"
W: " you're a liar Neil. Lying as always , cheating ,double crossing to get your own way"
B: " not this time"
W: " so are you asking this as a personal or professional favour?"
B: " both"
W: " only you could pull a trick like that. You're saying if I don't sign you'll never have the woman of your dreams"
B: " what I'm saying is if you don't sign, dozens of our Hungarian agents will die!"
Wellingham dabs his thumb with ink from his fountain pen presses down on the paper, and signs.
W: " you've had your last favour from me Neil. You may proceed with the swap"
More...

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Burnside and Geoff Ross meet in a London park.. Burnside hands his CIA buddy the letter.
Ross " oh my God , Neil are you out of your mind?"
B: " I think I must be..let's talk"
The next evening in Berlin at checkpoint Charlie in a building on the western side, Burnside nervously paces the room when Willie enters.
Caine " I've just seen Ross here, and Beaumel., how come?"
B " Ross wanted to help, Beaumel.wanted to supervise Deryabin's handover"
Later at the checkpoint, on the western side is Deryabin flanked by Burnside and Ross, on the eastern side, Laura flanked by armed soldiers.
The two parties move forward,Laura just metres from Neil. A shot rings out, hits Laura in the back,she dies instantly. Deryabin is grabbed by Burnside and Ross and dragged back to the west. A tearful Neil looks back at Laura's dead body.
Back in the building overlooking the scene.
Caine " YOU BASTARD.WHY DIDN'T YOU SWAP?"
Burnside " I couldn't go through with it. The CIA would never trust us again. It would have been the end of the special relationship"
C: " It is, at least Laura thought it was special"
B: " I couldn't swap her and I couldn't let her talk. Please Willie, you must see that"
Beaumel runs in,
B: " the agreement is void Beaumel so get out!"
" we had an agreement I delivered my part of it"
B: " read it properly, it says ' thereby effecting the release of Laura Dickens' she was never released"
" I will still tell the Americans"
B: " you're too late. I told Ross , ask him yourself. NOW GET OUT"
Caine is still bemused shaking his head
B: " I had to get her in the open to save the Hungarians"
C: " so who shot her?"
B " someone Ross brought over from the East. No one will ever know"
C: " I know"
B: " but I trust you Willie"
C: " I don't trust you. Do you realise I'm the last one left (shouting) AND YOU'RE NOT KILLING ME. (calmly walking out) , do you want my resignation now or in the morning?"
100/100

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Laura Dickens seconds from death, courtesy of Burnside and Ross, the CIA/SIS special relationship more important than Burnside's with Laura.
WP_20181009_13_36_21_Pro.jpg