Review The Whittaker Doctor

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
She's an attractive woman I would say but a female Doctor is not for me I'm afraid! The truth of the matter is that I have not enjoyed a single episode of Capaldi's reign and only The Doctor's Wife and Day of The Doctor had anything going for them in the entire Moffat tyranny so I will be calling it a day, sadly, too!
JB

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Actors that have starred in Doctor Who reacting to the premise of a female doctor and the thirteenth doctor herself, Jodie Whittaker.

Actors include:
Patrick Troughton - Second Doctor
Tom Baker - Fourth Doctor
Peter Davison - Fifth Doctor
Colin Baker - Sixth Doctor
Sylvester McCoy - Seventh Doctor
Paul McGann - Eighth Doctor
David Tennant - Tenth Doctor
Peter Capaldi - Twelth Doctor
Nicola Bryant - Peri Brown
Bonnie Langford - Mel Bush
Billie Piper - Rose Tyler
Noel Clarke - Mickey Smith
John Barrowman - Captain Jack Harkness
Freema Agyeman - Martha Jones
Alex Kingston - River Song
Karen Gillan - Amy Pond / Amy Williams
Arthur Darvill - Rory Williams
Jenna Louise Coleman - Clara Oswald
Pearl Mackie - Bill Potts
Matt Lucas - Nardole

Doctor Omega

Quite a surprise to hear Chris not rule out the possibility of attending WHO conventions in the future.

I don't think it will be anytime soon though.

Doctor Omega

Jodie Whittaker’s “Doctor Who” Costume Revealed

jodie-whittaker-as-the-doctor-bbclogo_doctor-who_s11_costume-reveal-cropped-696x464.jpg

The first official photo of Jodie Whittaker as she will appear in costume in the new season of “Doctor Who” has been released.

Sporting teal culottes, yellow braces, a striped jumper, boots, piercings, bleached blond hair and a matching trenchcoat, the outfit is more whimsical than was probably expected and brings up the interesting question of the tone that new showrunner Chris Chibnall will be going for following the crowd pleasing soapie-style David Tennant era, the more fairy tale-esque fantasy of the Matt Smith era, the darker sci-fi overtones of the Peter Capaldi era, or more likely something else entirely.

Whittaker has reportedly begun filming her scenes as the new incarnation of the Time Lord. The new series also stars Bradley Walsh as Graham, Tosin Cole as Ryan and Mandip Gill as Yasmin, all three to be the Doctor’s companions in the upcoming series.

Whittaker, the first female Doctor, takes over from Peter Capaldi and will make her debut on screen when the Doctor regenerates in this year’s Christmas special on BBC One.

ND9KKiF.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

First, honest impression is that it is..... awful. :emoji_confounded:

A stolen version of Davison's coat, hanging awkwardly on Jodie's frame. The braces are a bit Mork and Mindy. The stripe across the jumper, no thanks. The ill fitting, too short trousers.

If ever a costume will need tweaking as they go along, this in my opinion, is it.

Such a shame. I really hoped they would do better than this. :emoji_confused:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I hoped it would be closer to what she was wearing in the original promo. She looked great in that. I realize it would have felt like she just kept up Capaldi's look, but it worked. This...makes Colin's outfit look better? Maybe?

johnnybear

Admitted I'm no expert on fashion or matching clothes but she looks absolutely ridiculous to me! I'm glad I'm giving the new series a miss next year! :emoji_grin:
JB

Doctor Omega

They go to all this trouble of casting Jodie as the Doctor. Then seem to go out of their way to make her look like a badly dressed incarnation of Romana.

With a bit of Mork from Ork thrown in.
(If Bradley Walsh ends up dressed in a Victorian frock coat, looking more like the Doctor than Jodie, that will be the icing on the cake! :emoji_confused:)

One has to wonder how much of this disaster is Jodie's influence and how much of it is bad advice on the part of the costume designers.

johnnybear

I truly wonder why they cast her in the role knowing what a backlash it would cause and just how many long term fans will tear up their life cards and veto the whole show?
JB

Doctor Omega

Costume is very important. As Colin found out, sadly.

Jodie was already facing a challenge in taking over the role.

This will not have helped her cause. :emoji_confused:

I wondered if it was just me regarding this outfit, but looking around on other forums, it seems to have gone down pretty badly with most people. Mork and Mindy gets mentioned a lot.

However, in the interest of balance, here are a few comments I have found that speak well of it.....

Clearly not many fashion mag readers around here - the whole outfit is very trendy. Which in itself is a problem, the Doctor shouldn't be concerned with keeping up with the latest trends. My favourite Doctors looked like they'd raided the charity shops. Still, that's what a lot of fashion minded peeps look like these days...so maybe it's bang on.

Looks just fine. Honestly, who the hell fell in love with the Doctor first for what he wore? We all got on board with the outfit once we were on board with the Doctor's persona. I'm sure this will be just fine. And you know, if it's not, I'll come round in three years.

I'm not a fan of the shirt, but everything else definitely has a Who-vibe.

I was hoping for a long skirt and kind of a Victorian era woman kind of look but this is fine.

It's a bit reminiscent of Colin Baker...not a great look to be reminiscent of. But, I'm sure she'll make a better Doc so I doubt it matters.

And in response to someone calling it terrible....

It's is supposed to... It's Doctor Who ! It's volontarily kitsch.

But Doctor Who always kind of looked like that. It just seems that, now its a woman in the role, all of a sudden The Doctor looks likes a 'stereotype militant lesbian vegan etc etc'. It just makes you sound like you have a pretty deep chip on your shoulder regarding lesbian vegans or, dare I say, liberal minded people in general.

I think she looks just the same kind of goofy and quirky that The Doctor has always been - an alien trying to 'blend in' with humans but inadvertently dressing quite outlandishly in the process.

long coat, braces, short trousers, boots.

pretty much standard 'dr who' look.

How ill fitting it all looks may well be intentional. Think about it, for over 900 years the Doctor has been male. He likely never really acquired a lot of clothes that would fit a woman's body. Now that he is a she... she may have to stock up on more fitting clothing... eventually. Assuming she catches on well enough to continue on for several seasons. My biggest disappointment, they aren't making her Ginger. The doctor so wants to be Ginger, and a woman would be the prefect opportunity for it. Oh well...

Well, it’s not great, but I’ll just have to trust that it’s right for her character and reserve full judgment until next year.

It isn't immediately appealing but, given that they'll likely play with The Doctor's inexperience as a woman it will likely be riffed on as her having no idea how to dress. In any case I'm curious to see where she goes with this.

And, despite having read all of these positive quotes and the points some of them are making, I still think this outfit is a huge disappointment. :emoji_confused:

johnnybear

I can see their point about the show never having The Doctor dress well but I'll still be watching the other side next autumn on Saturday nights! :emoji_laughing:
JB