Fun The Last Movie That You Watched?

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
This week--rewatches of Scream and Scream 2, with all DVD commentaries and bonus features. Also a first watch of All Quiet on the Western Front (1930).
I really dig the first two Scream movies. They work both as a deconstruction of the slasher genre, and as a re-invigoration of that same genre. It's too bad the slasher film couldn't make a full comeback, but in that same vein (pun intended?), perhaps audiences have, indeed, grown up too much for the return masked killers.

And All Quiet on the Western Front is one of my favorite movies, based on one of my favorite books. It actually follows the book fairly closely, and it transfers well to the screen. The only real problem is that the title comes from the last line of the book, which they had to try to convey visually.But it's well written and acted, and a true classic.

Mad_Monster_Party

Sandbox Chief Commissioner
Ghostbusters (2016)

For all of the negative reviews I have read and watched for this movie, I think they are off the mark. I am a huge fan of the first Ghostbusters (the sequel is okay, but nowhere near as good as the first), and I really went into this one trying not to compare them too much. Honestly, I found the movie pretty funny. It's not the original, and it isn't trying to be. It succeeds in what it is attempting, which is an homage to the original but telling its own story. The four leads are great, the story is entertaining, the effects are good, and I laughed. If I have any complaints, it is that the first movie blended humor and horror pretty well (maybe not all out horror, but there are some dark moments). This one plays it as a straight comedy all the way through, which I still liked, but some more of those dark moments would have made for a more balanced movie. I'd rate it a 3 1/2 out of 5 chainsaws.
Yeah, I had a generally positive view of it myself.:emoji_alien:

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I, Tonya (2017)
Good movie, well made and acted. I like the way they approached the story. Usually they would go very dramatic with something like this, but the black comedy really works.
It definitely deserved the oscar nominations it got.

sitenoise

Member: Rank 5
You Were Never Really Here [2017] • UK, France, USA

Finally! Finally! Jonny Greenwood plays his fucking guitar for a soundtrack. I might have punted this film if it weren't for the score. Well, maybe not. Joaquin Phoenix is uber-mesmerizing. The photography, its framing, its angles, is gorgeous. The sound design is astonishing in the way that it melds the cacophony of New York street noise into the score melodically and rhythmically. That blew me away.

If all the interspersed dreams, hallucinations, memories--whatever they were-- were inserted more gracefully, more softly, I would have thought: "Okay, dream logic. Don't expect much, just let it flow over you. I'm cool with that". But they weren't. They were inserted bombastically, loudly. This gave the impression they were going to add up, they were going to mean something, be worthwhile. For me, they weren't. I don't care if the protag was or wasn't a war vet; if he had an incestuous relationship with his mother; if he was abused as a child. He was just a bad dude with a hammer who may or may not have rescued a little girl from pedophile politicians.

Watch it loudly.

clayton-12

Member: Rank 4
The Florida Project (Sean Baker, 2017): I got all nostalgic over here on the Cinema: International board, and this film harkens back to a certain type of Disney matinee cinema that I loved - a bunch of kids, summertime, mischief, mateship and adventures. All of the fun and magic is here, but the innocence of childhood is shown as enduring and intact in a post-innocence world - imagine something like The Apple Dumpling Gang redone against a backdrop of homelessness and prostitution. Child actor Brooklynn Prince steals the show, but Willem Dafoe's portrayal of a motel manager with a gruff paternal benevolence deserves to be an enduring character.

chainsaw_metal1

Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle (2017) - 4/5

I really enjoyed this movie much more than I expected. It references the original film without being a complete knockoff or having endless callbacks or cameos. The story is at times cliche, but it's a well done movie with some great acting. Jack Black steals the show, and as always, Karen Gillan is gorgeous.

Mad_Monster_Party

Sandbox Chief Commissioner
Favorite movie of the year so far?

I know it’s really early but what do you think?

Even if you don’t have a favorite one, what are some that you might want to go back to and rewatch in the future all the same?

Thanks in advance for any comments or opinions!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunflower007

Member: Rank 3
:emoji_relaxed: ~ The last movie I've seen today was Pet Sematary(1989). I rate it with 9 stars. Great movie I loved it a lot. The novel was outstanding. Its one of my favorite books of Stephen King. I decided to see it today with my family. Since we were talking about it during dinner with my family. I found out that there is going to be a remake of the movie & its going to be released next year.

*~:emoji_kissing_cat:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I'll be there, till the stars don't shine
'Til the heavens burst and the words don't rhyme
I know when I die you'll be on my mind
And I'll love you, always
Always

By: Bon Jovi - Always
:emoji_microphone:

McQualude

Sleeper. Interesting how relevant it is today. The dialog felt like it was written this year. 3/4

How It Ends. Two very talented actors on a roadtrip to save a damsel in distress. Simple, but very well acted. The ending may not be to everyone's taste. 3/4

McQualude

The Last Jedi. The worst Star Wars movie yet. Direct to DVD quality writing. Pandering to children and marketing, poorly. 1/4

Sunflower007

:emoji_neutral_face:~ The last movie I've seen was Donovan's Brain (1963). It was quite a let down. Didn't do its justice to the book, I swear this adaptation was too sugar coated. Maybe it was done that way since it was the 60s. I read this book because its one of Stephen King's sci-fiction tale. Also it's where he whined up get this famous saying that he put in his novel IT : Amidst the mists and coldest frosts he thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts. Remember that one?:emoji_nerd:

*~:emoji_ghost:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find strength in what
remains behind
."

By: William Wordsworth

chainsaw_metal1

Veronica (2017) - This Spanish film was touted as the "scariest horror movie ever", and released in the States on Netflix. While not the absolute scariest film I have ever seen, it is very good. It has plenty of tension, the child actors are very good, and the scares actually have substance. If you can handle subtitles, I would recommend this one very highly. 4/5

Vampire Wars (also called Dead South) (2016) - An indie horror movie about two brothers, Confederate soldiers, who are bitten by vampires on their way back home from the war. I saw this on Hulu, and watched only because the description made it sound promising. It wasn't. In no way can I recommend this piece of garbage. 1/5

And personally, I liked both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.