Review The RESIDENT EVIL Franchise

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
resident-evil-film-series-to-be-rebooted-696x464.jpg

It looks like the recent sixth film in the franchise won’t be the end after all.

Constantin Film chairman Martin Moszkowicz has confirmed to Variety that a reboot of the property is in development at the German production company. Further specifics about it are under wraps.

Constantin Film owns rights to the franchise and has produced all of its installments to date with this year’s “Resident Evil: The Final Chapter” grossing $312 million worldwide – half of which came from China alone.

Based on the Capcom video game, the series launched in 2002 with Paul W.S. Anderson directing, and Milla Jovovich starring. Anderson has written all six of the installments and directed four.

Despite a critical drubbing, the franchise has earned $1.2 billion worldwide to date – Europe’s most successful indie horror-genre movie franchise, and easily the highest-grossing film series to be based on a video game.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Wan To Produce “Resident Evil” Reboot

Resident Evil by Ilze Kitshoff Constantin Film Header.jpg

James Wan has come aboard to produce the first film in the reboot of the “Resident Evil” franchise which was announced over the weekend by Constantin Film.

Further details about the project are coming to light with Variety reporting the reboot will be the first of six new films planned for the franchise.

Greg Russo is scripting the project which boasts an entirely new cast. Michael Clear will produce, but no director is yet set and what’s not clear is the tone – whether it will keep the action-sci-fi meets horror vibe of the previous films or trying something with more of a haunted house horror focus like the original games.

Wan and Russo worked previously together on a “Mortal Kombat” reboot in development at New Line, and a “Robotech” adaptation in the works at Sony. Wan is currently directing “Aquaman” which is in production in Australia.

Doctor Omega

Milla Jovovich Talks That “Resident Evil” Reboot

milla-jovovich-talks-that-resident-evil-reboot-696x464.jpg

One of the more unexpected announcements in the past week was that of Constantin Film rebooting the “Resident Evil” film franchise mere months after the sixth and apparent final entry was released in cinemas.

Then came word the other day that James Wan would produce the new film which was the first of six more planned films. What’s not clear at this time is the tone and new direction these films will take.

Today, actress and the previous six films’ leading lady Milla Jovovich was asked for her thoughts on the reboot. The actress tells ComicBook.com that she understands the decision, and hopes those involved will respect the fanbase:

“I think a lot of people with these franchises kind of put the cart before the horse. There’s a danger to that. They’ve been wanting to reboot Resident Evil for a long time, and listen: I love the Resident Evil world. I think it’s a great property, I would do it if I was a producer.

I think what made Resident Evil so special is that the people involved really loved what they’re doing and really were fans of the game. I would suggest that you find people that have that same passion for the property before you talk about reboots.

I think if you get into this kind of genre, people are very sensitive to fakes. There’s some real fans in the sci-fi/action/horror world, and they’re not idiots. They can smell when something is done because people love it and when something is done just to monetize an opportunity.”

The quote indicates the reboot talk isn’t new and has been underway for some time, which might explain why it was decided the sixth film would be the last in the series.

The new “Resident Evil” hasn’t set a date yet.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I think Mila really took it easy on them.... As I see it, her work (and those she worked with) created what will end up being the definitive

version of the franchise. Plus, it takes an awful lot of hubris to start talking like this so soon after her series has (or in this case was being) wrapped up. I'm not a fan of hubris... in case you all hadn't noticed! :emoji_wink:

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: And for Mila and "the originals" :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers: