Controversial The Tipping Thread

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Tipping_Main1.jpg

As opposed to many other places in the world, here in the US, it is customary to give a gratuity to food servers. The main reason for this is that restaurants are allowed by law to pay a lower wage to servers due to the fact that they supplement their wages with tips. A main argument for this is that if servers were actually paid a living wage, the cost of eating at restaurants would rise (which is a good scare tactic here in the States, because people worry more about having to pay more for anything than see someone be able to pay their rent).

Here's where this really gets controversial. I do tip, but I tip based on the performance of the server. I generally tip the customary 10-15%, depending upon how much extra money I have available at the time, and how good the service is. But I have left a restaurant without leaving any gratuity, but only in times where I felt the service was terrible. Did I feel guilty, sure, but if you want a gratuity, you have to earn it.

Sounds harsh, right? Like, I'm some sort of monster who would keep money away from someone who really needs it. Well, here's the thing. I used to wait tables. And I was a damned good waiter. Attentive, pleasant, and timely with food and drink. And yet, I usually got tipped less than the waitresses, and sometimes, not at all. And at the end of a workday, I had to report how much I got in tips so the company could subtract that from my wages (which is why I eventually transferred to the kitchen where I could get my whole paycheck). So I know what it's like to get stiffed on a tip, but I also know, you have to bust your ass to get that tip. You want it? Make sure I'm happy with my service. I've had a lot of people tell me I'm wrong in my actions, but it's how I was raised.

So what's your thought? Do you tip, no matter what (if you're in a part of the world where tipping isn't done, tell me what you think of the practice)? And is it wrong to not leave a tip if the server doesn't deserve it?

Last edited by a moderator:

McQualude

Member: Rank 3
Great service I give 20%, for mediocre service 10%. If it's bad enough not to tip, I write a note on the receipt explaining why. My dad was kind of an ass and didn't believe in tipping but during college I got a pizza delivery job and the majority of my income was tips which changed my thinking. And here's a tip ... a pizza delivery guy NEVER forgets a house that doesn't tip and drivers share that information. I bet that even now, decades later, I still remember the houses that didn't tip. Oh, and if you give your teenagers money to buy pizza while you're out on date night, they aren't going to tip, but yes the delivery guy will remember your house as a non-tipping. My boss blacklisted an address once because a smartass teenager gave me a nickel tip.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
I always tip 20%. I don’t recall being in any situation where I was mad enough not to tip - except one. I was out on a date and we went to eat at this near empty Mexican restaurant. There was one other party there. The waitress kept speaking Spanish with them and ignoring us. She finally came over and we ordered an appetizer. Another Spanish speaking couple came in. She got real friendly with them too, took their order, and they got their food before we did. We wanted drinks but she was back to chatting with the first table. I made my boyfriend leave without paying, even though he saidhe might want to come back. I asked him why would he ever do that.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
And here's a tip ... a pizza delivery guy NEVER forgets a house that doesn't tip and drivers share that information.
My wife and I used to always order delivery when we lived a few towns over, and we always tipped. I know that those drivers get the short end of the stick. There's only one pizza place where we live now, and I just pick up my order instead of having it delivered. I justify it by saying it costs less in gas to drive 12 blocks to get my pizza instead of paying a tip. But yes, if you order take out delivery, tip!
I always tip 20%. I don’t recall being in any situation where I was mad enough not to tip - except one. I was out on a date and we went to eat at this near empty Mexican restaurant. There was one other party there. The waitress kept speaking Spanish with them and ignoring us. She finally came over and we ordered an appetizer. Another Spanish speaking couple came in. She got real friendly with them too, took their order, and they got their food before we did. We wanted drinks but she was back to chatting with the first table. I made my boyfriend leave without paying, even though he saidhe might want to come back. I asked him why would he ever do that.
That's the type of service I'm talking about. I've run into too many servers who act like it's just too much to make me feel like they want my business. Again, I'm not an asshole, but like my folks always pointed out, it's called a gratuity, and I don't feel too gracious if the server acts like it's an imposition to do their job.