Review Tonight! "Twin Peaks" S01E05 "The One-Armed Man"

How many arms would you raise in this episode's honor?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 50.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
Aired Thursday 9:00 PM May 03, 1990 on ABC

Cooper and Truman track down the aforementioned titular character and some strange new evidence, which in the Twin Peaks universe means pretty normal new evidence; Audrey begins her own investigation.

CAST

Kyle MacLachlan ... Special Agent Atreides Cooper
Michael Ontkean ... Sheriff Harry S. Truman
Mädchen Amick ... Shelly Johnson
Dana Ashbrook ... Bobby Briggs
Richard Beymer ... Benjamin Horne
Lara Flynn Boyle ... Donna Hayward
Sherilyn Fenn ... Audrey Horne
Warren Frost ... Dr. Will Hayward
Peggy Lipton ... Norma Jennings
James Marshall ... James Hurley
Everett McGill ... Big Ed Hurley (credit only)
Jack Nance ... Pete Martell
Ray Wise ... Leland Palmer
Joan Chen ... Jocelyn Packard
Piper Laurie ... Catherine Martell
Eric DaRe ... Leo Johnson
Harry Goaz ... Deputy Andy Brennan
Michael Horse ... Deputy Tommy 'Hawk' Hill
Sheryl Lee ... Maddy Ferguson
Russ Tamblyn ... Dr. Lawrence Jacoby
Grace Zabriskie ... Sarah Palmer
Chris Mulkey ... Hank Jennings
Jed Mills ... Wilson Mooney
Kimmy Robertson ... Lucy Moran
Mary Bond Davis ... Female Parole Board Member #1
Mary Chalon ... Female Parole Board Member #2
James Craven ... Male Parole Board Officer
Adele Gilbert ... Midge Loomer
Al Strobel ... One-Armed Man
Erika Anderson ... Emerald (segment 'Invitation To Love')
Lance Davis ... Chet (segment 'Invitation To Love')
David Lynch ... FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole (voice) (uncredited)
Kevin Young ... Toad (uncredited)
Sean Davis ... Joe 90

WRITING CREDITS

Mark Frost ... (created by) &
David Lynch ... (created by)
Friedrich Engels ... (written by)

DIRECTED BY

Tim Hunter

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
We start off a little weird. Is Cooper really having Andy draw a figure that Sarah saw in a dream? But it is later explained that Cooper thought it might be the same figure from his dream and was trying to make sure. Sarah also reveals her dream about Laura’s necklace being dug up, which spooks Donna and James enough to go check it out.

What was with Dr. Jacoby and his one red eye, one blue eye glasses? Is he headed to a 3-D movie later on? And does doctor/patient confidentiality still apply after the patient is dead? (Sometimes it seems to depend on what show you’re watching. Still Cooper never even challenges the notion.)

Cooper finds out the location of the one-armed man and thinks it’s the guy from his dream. I’m sure we all expected it would be, but no such luck. I notice the man was named Mr. Gerard, no doubt a humorous reference to Lt. Gerard of THE FUGITIVE, where “the one-armed man” was the real killer. I think it’s a safe bet he’s not the killer here.

And the revelation that Laura had bird bites on her leads Coop to confiscate the records of a nearby vet. Harry seems surprised when Lucy says the records are by the names of the pets. Okay, by the owner’s names would more sense, but still – why would Harry just assume the vet had the animals filed by animal categories?

Audrey sounds like she’s going into investigating mode to try to impress Agent Cooper, on whom she may have more than just a crush. She plays the reformed daughter to her father, to get him to let her get a job at the perfume counter where Laura and Ronnette both used to work, so she can find out if it led to them working at One-Eyed Jack’s. Should be interesting.

Norma reluctantly supports her husband’s bid for parole, only to see him actually get it. I wondered what the big fuss was about him having that domino with 3 dots in each panel. Was it supposed to mean he was lying or gambling, or something? However, at episode’s end, he sends a drawing of that very domino to Jocelyn letting us know there is some connection between the two of them.

Speaking of connections, Audrey’s dad now just hired Leo Johnson to torch Jocelyn’s mill and make it look like she did it for the insurance money. And Shelly finally shows that bloody shirt of Leo’s to Bobby who uses it to plant evidence of Leo working with Jacques. I was actually rooting for him to get away from the police as they arrived, which he did. Little does he know Leo already killed Jacque’s brother and Jacques has fled town.

And poor Andy is clumsy with a firearm, dropping his gun just as they were closing in on the one-armed man. Lucy is mad at him and won’t say why. Maybe she’s mad because she thinks he tricked her into getting the red couch by telling her she could get the beige couch. (No, that would actually make a little sense.) Hmmm. Is she pregnant?

I like Jocelyn’s little malaprops. Like when she says, “I don’t know the first step about fishing.” Or “Let’s take a run at the money.” Cute. Also liked how she wanted Harry to come over when he was busy, until he asked her if she was staking out the one-armed man earlier. Then it was, “Gotta go now. Bye.”

Naturally at the shooting range, Cooper is the best shot. He only hit the target four times? No, he shot both eyeballs twice, then the nostrils. And you just know he’s being completely honest about it.

Overall, this week the pace seems to pick up a little, with some small reveals and payoffs along the way. I’ll give it 7 animal heads on the wall, with the animal’s legs being used right below it to prop up a rifle.

Best line of the night:

“In the grand design, women were drawn from a different set of blueprints.”

Cloister56

Ah on time this week.

The cops are making a reconstruction of the man Sarah Palmer saw at the foot of the bed (I thought it was a couch but hey ho) and yes it appears to be the one in Cooper's dream too.
She also seems to have been watching the show, as she recalls a gloved had picking up the necklace (but wasn't able to say it was Dr Jacoby).

I did find Lucy's recounting of the soap's storyline amusing. It was obvious that was how she was going to answer but it was still funny.

Dr Jacoby is playing with golf balls. I assume when he whips his hand over his mouth that's when he puts it in, but it is quick.

Brimfin said:
And does doctor/patient confidentiality still apply after the patient is dead? (Sometimes it seems to depend on what show you’re watching. Still Cooper never even challenges the notion.)
Yes I thought that was the case. Having done a little reading it seems that disclosure is allowed for law enforcement reasons and also if others may be at risk. There is still some protection after death to just anyone getting the records.
Cooper is at his most stern during this consultation, none of his levity or quirkiness on show.
I do think Dr Jacobi is suspicious but I don't think he is the killer. His story of following Leo fits with him then finding the necklace.
I did like the different responses from Andy and Truman on how long it would take to get the Timberfall Motel. I think Andy would obey all speed limits and stop signs.

At the Motel Ben Horne is receiving a shoulder rub from Catherine, as they discuss the imminent arson on the lumber mill and the implicating of Josie. I'm still holding out hope Josie isn't falling into this trap. Catherine finds a poker chip from One Eye Jacks, is this a reminder to us or is she not aware of Ben's jaunts across the border to the perfume girls?

The cops arrive and Andy gets to look more foolish by dropping his gun which goes off. I thought Truman or Cooper would then shout something like "Sorry, we aren't shooting at you" but they just enter. They find a one armed man, who seemed awfully unspooked by the gunshot that just occurred outside his door.
The one armed man might be the one from Coopers dream, but I'm not sure, is it the same guy?
He is a salesman carrying only right shoes, I don't think I would buy a shoe having only tried it on one foot.
He reveals he used to have a tattoo of the name Bob (his friends name) on his missing arm. Didn't the one armed man in the dream say something about the Beast's mark on his arm?

Audrey and Donna are in a very gaudy bathroom. Audrey makes a great femme fatale, I could imagine her in a noir film telling the private eye she needs his help.
Audrey seems to be putting things together well and she has a plan on how to get more info. I don't believe she is going to keep anything she finds to herself if she is doing all this to impress Cooper.

We then meet Norma's incarcerated husband Hank. I was a bit confused by this scene. It seems Norma really likes Ed and seemed a little intimidated by Hank so it is strange she goes out of her way to support him, by saying she would give him and job and live with him. I assume she either still has feelings for him or is scared of him.
The musical cue alerts us to the domino piece and it's possible later importance.

I enjoyed the scene at the vets. The Llama? turning to face him, the seizing of the files with the receptionists surprised response all to a jaunty little tune.
There is also the sign above the door "Aid to the beast incarnate" is this a reference to the mark of the beast on the one armed man's arm and that was Bob and Lydecker is also Bob, nice.

Shelley is with Bobby. I really can't see why, unless she is into bad boys. I get the feeling she is manipulating the hot headed Bobby to deal with Leo. I suspected when she brought the gun home it was for Bobby to use. Maybe getting him to the house, letting him see the gun and then keeping him distracted so Leo gets home leading to a deadly showdown. Leo would be dead, Bobby a killer and she would be free of all men. I just can't see her sticking with Bobby without Leo there.

Off to the shooting range. It seems someone started painting the room and then gave up as there are some paint strokes on the cross beam and then nothing more.
Cooper is very diplomatic towards Andy's ineptitude at the range, I guess this was never a priority before. After Cooper mentioning he had his heart broken before i thought that his shooting would draw a heart or something.

I was surprised at the diner that Norma didn't react more to Shelley confessing Leo hits her. I expected her to encourage Shelley to leave or offer to let her stay, but she offers a spa day instead.
James phones Donna and then ends his phone call without saying bye, I know its tv/movie trope but it is still annoying.
James meeting with Madeline is interesting. Is James stunned because she looks so much like Laura and it's like seeing a ghost or does seeing her bring up old feelings for Laura? Is the James/Donna burgeoning romance about to hit a roadblock.

Benjamin is on the phone to the Swedes (they're Norwegians Mac! (I will never get tired of that)).
His interaction with Audrey is very well played on both sides. Ben has clearly heard Audrey's tales before, but you can see he is beginning to feel this might be different. I am glad he gave her a hug when she pleaded to be his daughter again, at least he is not totally remote from her. It is kind of a shame this is all a plan by Audrey.
I do wonder why would Ben put Audrey to work at the perfume counter as is her plan. He knows better that anyone that this is the recruiting ground of One Eyed Jacks, surely he will do everything to keep her away from this area.

Next on Cops, the boys go the motel room of Jacque Renault and find the Leo's bloody shirt just planted by Bobby. This is beginning to shake my confident in the Tibetan Bottles, surely if evidence needs to be planted Leo can't be the guy, or is the show trying to trick us?

Leo is out near a lake and meets with Benjamin Horne. Ah more connections, this is making me wonder if Laura worked at One Eyes, maybe blackmailed Ben and Ben paid Leo to deal with her. It's a bit simple but it's the best I've got so far.

Donna and James discover the necklace has gone. They pledge to investigate for Laura. I wonder if they will involve Audrey in this or keep her in the dark as to James' involvement.

I really like Pete, he seems like a nice guy. He and Josie seem to get on really well.

The domino piece then appears again and it turns out Josie has a connection to Hank. I thought initially this was quite well set up. Show us the domino piece with Hank then have Josie receive the letter.
Having Hank then ring, moments after she opened it, to ask her if she got his message all while he sucks on the domino piece, was labouring the point a bit too much for my liking.

Not a bad episode but I didn't find it as interesting as the previous. Maybe there was too little quirkiness and Cooper seemed subdued most of the time.

6 subtle clues, which I hope you will get, but just in case I will phone you and check you got them, while juggling the clues, out of 10

Last edited:

Mad-Pac

Twin Peaks goes on with the slow burn, the operative word being... slow. The previous two episodes had at least one important event you can refer about the episode by (The bottle game and Cooper's dream in ep 3 and the secret society in episode 4, but I have to tell someone about this episode, as in "episode 5, you know, the one in which..." I come up with nothing. Nothing really important by itself at least.

We keep seeing that Cooper heavily relies on his intuition, and takes dreams, visions and coincidences very seriously. The police interview Sarah Palmer for her to describe her visions and, more specifically, the man she saw in it. And Cooper finds it relevant that this man is the same in from his dream. Later, when looking for a pet bird among the clients of a veterinary clinic, Cooper gets the information that Laura had been bitten by a parrot or a mynah, and immediately they learn that Jacques Renault has such bird, and it's named Waldo.

Considering that, Cooper decides that "when two separate events occur simultaneously pertaining to the same object of inquiry, we must always pay strict attention." Well, I suppose a coincidence is as valid a plot mover as anything else. Actually, this reminds me of UFO's Straker's fantastic intuition through which he would make up a theory that also worked as exposition for what really happening. The difference that here it's part of the quirky logic of this weird reality, while there it was just clunky writing.

Meanwhile, in the B plot, or perhaps it was C or D, for all I care, Lucy is, well, being Lucy. When Sheriff Truman asks her what is going on, she gives him a detailed account of that afternoon's "invitation to Love" soap chapter. Silly of Truman not have made his request clear. We also learn that she's angry with Deputy Andy, and he just doesn't know how to deal with that. Unfortunately for him, he gets some advice from Cooper about how to deal with female situations, and he explains that there's no logic at work there, and that in the grand design women are drawn from a different set of blueprints. In other words, chill out, Andy, and let the chips fall where they may. Hey, here's a daring idea: has anybody tried actually *asking* Lucy why she's angry? As in "Hey, Lucy, why are you mad at Deputy Andy?" I don't know. Just a thought.

When Cooper, Truman and Andy go after the one-armed man, Deputy Andy drops his gun and it goes off. Which is interesting, because recently I saw a video in which the commentator makes fun of this very same trope TV shows and movies overuse, as it is something that isn't supposed to happen in real life. Unfortunately I simply can't find that video. Anyway, we learn that Cooper is a great shot, shooting the target once in each eye, twice in each nostril, or four through the eyes and one through each nostril,or something in between.

Cooper interrogates Dr. Jacoby, and he suspiciously acts in a suspicious manner, but probably he didn't do it. Catherine and Benjamin continue their "sordid" affair planning and scheming. (You could just skip those little bits and pieces, honestly).

Audrey meets Donna in the ladies' room, and they talk mostly about the men they know, like Audrey's crush on Agent Cooper and guys like James. Later Shelly and Norma talk in the diner about how each has two men in their lives, but they don't know how to deal with the situation. Ha! 1990s Twin Peaks certainly wouldn't pass the Bechdel test. One more reason to like old shows.

Speaking of Norma, she learn that her homicidal husband gets his parole. But don't worry. He will change. He says so himself.

Shelly gives Bobby Leo's bloody jacket (I think it's a jacket), Bobby plants it in Jacques Renault's apartment and so he kills two birds with one stroke. Unbelievably, Cooper and Truman fall for that.

James is mesmerized by how much alike Madeleine and Laura look. I hope that goes somewhere.

Audrey tried to convince her father she has changed and wants to learn how to take charge of the family business after he passes. Ha! For a moment I actually believed her, but she just wants to work at the perfume counter of Horne's department store to get clues about Laura, since Laura and Janet worked there. Devious girl!

I'll use Deputy Hawk's native wisdom to grade the episode: 2 women that can make you fly like an eagle, 2 that can give you the strength of a lion, but only 1 in the cycle of life that can fill your heart with wonder and the wisdom that you have known a singular joy. Making a total of 5 girls you will never understand because you don't have the blueprints.

Last edited:

Cloister56

MadPac said:
Deputy Andy drops his gun and it goes off. Which is interesting, because recently I saw a video in which the commentator makes fun of this very same trope TV shows and movies overuse, as it is something that isn't supposed to happen in real life. Unfortunately I simply can't find that video.
Yes I thought of the same thing. The article I read was on cracked:
http://www.cracked.com/article_19781_6-stupid-gun-myths-everyone-believes-thanks-to-movies.html
I did look for a video but just got a bearded guy saying how stupid it was.
This was interesting:
https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopene...fety-bullet-accidental-discharge-firearm.html

Mad-Pac said:
James is mesmerized by how much alike Madeleine and Laura look. I hope that goes somewhere.
Yes me too, James and Donna are a little dull as a couple, lets put a faux-Laura amongst the pigeons (lovebirds)

Brimfin said:
However, at episode’s end, he sends a drawing of that very domino to Jocelyn letting us know there is some connection between the two of them.
I did start to wonder about this. He had to sit there, drawing that domino piece and then submit it for mailing. I am assuming there is some filter on mail from prisons so you can just send "Get me out", I wonder what the guards thought of this giant picture of a domino piece.

Brimfin

mad-pac said:
Hey, here's a daring idea: has anybody tried actually *asking* Lucy why she's angry? As in "Hey, Lucy, why are you mad at Deputy Andy?" I don't know. Just a thought.
Oh come on, you know the TV trope. She expects you to know what's bugging her, and if you ask her what it is she gets even more annoyed at you.

Bob Peters 61

Member: Rank 2
I have to agree with everyone that it was hilarious when Truman asked Lucy "What's new?" and she summarized the soap to that point. So now we know not to ask her that while she's watching it.

The one armed man might be the one from Coopers dream, but I'm not sure, is it the same guy?
He is a salesman carrying only right shoes, I don't think I would buy a shoe having only tried it on one foot.
He reveals he used to have a tattoo of the name Bob (his friends name) on his missing arm. Didn't the one armed man in the dream say something about the Beast's mark on his arm?
I actually had to replay that a few times to make sure I heard right. He may have said "Bob," which would suggest a little man-love there, but the last time I listened closely I thought he said "Mom." A different sort of strangeness.

Cooper drawing a face on his target was funny. Sure he intended "one through each nostril," but those two bullet holes still looked a little like a mouth.

Again we get Andy screwing up. Sure a dropped revolver doesn't automatically go off, but the cliche of it made for a funny scene. Interesting that Truman has two deputies: Andy who is about as good a lawman as Barney Fife and Hawk, who is good enough for the both of them.

Finally, I was tickled to notice that Josie uses a Nikon FM 10. The same model of camera I eventually bought after the "Kolchak's camera" thread re-awakened my interest in film photography.

Slow burn, as is to be expected of a series built around one case. But at least now there's some semblance of an actual investigation rather than just everyone indulging Cooper in a bunch of mumbo jumbo. And a minor revelation or two along the way here. I'll give it 7 golf balls in Dr. Jacoby's ear and out his mouth.

Brimfin

Cloister 56 said:
BobPeters61 said:
I actually had to replay that a few times to make sure I heard right. He may have said "Bob," which would suggest a little man-love there, but the last time I listened closely I thought he said "Mom." A different sort of strangeness.
I had the subtitles on when I played it and it did say "Mom." I don't think it was supposed to be strange, but more to make him seem normal. It was an old cliché in cartoons and such for a tough guy to have "Mom" tattooed on his arm, to imply that under his tough exterior he still had a soft spot.

Mad-Pac

Yes I thought of the same thing. The article I read was on cracked:
Yes, that's the content. However I saw that in a video with other TV and movie tropes, but I can't find it. It was something like "5 stupid movie tropes that keep coming back" or "that they insist on using" or something. The safety-drop tests idea seems pretty sensible.

Mad-Pac

Oh come on, you know the TV trope. She expects you to know what's bugging her, and if you ask her what it is she gets even more annoyed at you.
Well, I would just ask anyway, just to eliminate that shadow of a doubt. Besides I would assume that she would expect Andy to know what she's thinking. But Cooper could still ask her as the outsider he is.

Cloister56

I never heard anything but "MOM". I'm surprised you guys started imagining such an alternative scenario.
Oh it was Mom. I'm a little disappointed. Unless I am misremembering in the dream the one armed man said he had the mark of the beast on his arm and that's why he cut it off.
Then the one armed man in real life reveals that his arm used to have a tattoo which said "Bob"
Then at Bob's veterinary we get the sign above the door about "aid to the beast incarnate"

I thought it was a nice piecing together of the pieces in the vision into a real life situation.
If it's Mom it loses that connection. Unless I am misremembering, I think I best go and check.

Cloister56

Ok so watching the dream he says:
"We lived among the people, I think you say convenience store, we lived above it."
Does this refer to the convenience store next to the vet clinic, which was up a few steps from it.

"I too have been touched by the devilish one, tattoo left shoulder"

Ok so it wasn't touched by the beast, but the devil is sometimes referred to as the beast. So was Mike's mum a devil woman? Or is it just not as literal as I was thinking.

"But when I saw the face of god I was changed, took the whole arm off"
"My name is Mike his name is Bob"

Cloister56

Have you been looking for an opportunity to use the "I'm sorry, what?" thing :emoji_grin:
I was just pulling out the bits of the dream one armed mans speech that I thought were interesting.

Bob Peters 61

Member: Rank 2
One of the tiny details that had me going a bit was when the first on the list of Dr. Bob the vet's patients was half poodle and half rottweiler. First a little mental double-take because for some reason when I hear "poodle" I think "toy poodle," which would have definite size issues in the way of cross breading with a rottweiler. But then I think it through and oh yeah, there are also large poodles which if crossed with a rottweiler would produce a dog I wouldn't want to have sicked on me, but depending on individual temperament I might want to pet.

Mad-Pac

Have you been looking for an opportunity to use the "I'm sorry, what?" thing :emoji_grin:
I was just pulling out the bits of the dream one armed mans speech that I thought were interesting.
Yep. Since this forum has so many resources, I strive to find a use for them all. I'm still trying to come up with a good excuse to use the university and cube icons in ways that are not insulting.

Cloister56

Yep. Since this forum has so many resources, I strive to find a use for them all. I'm still trying to come up with a good excuse to use the university and cube icons in ways that are not insulting.
Hmm let's see if I can help you out :emoji_laughing:
Actually dont think your going to manage it, I literally cant imagine it being possible.