Fun US commercials you can't stand/hate

streak1981

Member: Rank 3
Sorry for posting this one, but it was a long-running topic on the old commercial/advertisements board, & I just thought I'd keep it going. :p

I'll start...

The Devour commercial where the guy "spanks" his lunch... It's not funny, it's just gross.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
The puppy baby monkey Mountain Dew commercial. So thankful the Superbowl aired so they're going to retire that POS, but I didn't watch it so I don't know what abomination they replaced it with.

Oh and this is an old one, but it was a Quizno's commercial. It had these weird, gross creatures. I think they fired that ad agency.

The Seeker

Oh yes. I hate everything about Mountain Dew btw - I'd rather have Sprite or 7up. The commercial before PBM wasn't as gross (the one with the dancing furniture) but it was incredibly stupid.

DeJoHnNiE

Member: Rank 4
Sorry for posting this one, but it was a long-running topic on the old commercial/advertisements board, & I just thought I'd keep it going. :p

I'll start...

The Devour commercial where the guy "spanks" his lunch... It's not funny, it's just gross.
Please do not be sorry for starting anything, you are free to start or restart whatever thread you like to continue here. You should feel at home and have more freedom than IMDb.

I would also like to suggest to have these kind of threads dedicated to countries and maybe even post videos of said commercials/ads if they exist. I like threads like this a lot but when it's from another country than my own I won't know any of these at all and [or others] and having a video or a country tag would be a nice addition.

streak1981

Please do not be sorry for starting anything, you are free to start or restart whatever thread you like to continue here. You should feel at home and have more freedom than IMDb.

I would also like to suggest to have these kind of threads dedicated to countries and maybe even post videos of said commercials/ads if they exist. I like threads like this a lot but when it's from another country than my own I won't know any of these at all and [or others] and having a video or a country tag would be a nice addition.
Noted. Thank you for the suggestion.

Liburnius

Member: Rank 1
I used to dislike those Brooke Shields (I think dental) commercials, that used to interrupt my watching of Star Trek, online. I don't actually watch TV much, though. I also don't like political or political influenced commercials, mostly.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Don't be sorry. This is a cool idea. We will have to agree to disagree about that commercial, though. That one always makes me laugh.

Also, I'm a huge Mountain Dew fan. But I think we can all still get along. You guys are all cool. :D

I hate the "guilt trip" commercials. The ASPCA ads that try to make me feel lousy because someone else is a jerk to animals. The "you can feed kids in other countries" ads. Not that I disagree with them, but here's the deal. I'm poor. I try to help where I can, I give to charities when I can, but the ads that try to make me feel guilty just make me angry. Especially since they really like to run all of those ads during late night, when I actually get to sit and watch TV.

streak1981

Don't be sorry. This is a cool idea. We will have to agree to disagree about that commercial, though. That one always makes me laugh.

Also, I'm a huge Mountain Dew fan. But I think we can all still get along. You guys are all cool. :D

I hate the "guilt trip" commercials. The ASPCA ads that try to make me feel lousy because someone else is a jerk to animals. The "you can feed kids in other countries" ads. Not that I disagree with them, but here's the deal. I'm poor. I try to help where I can, I give to charities when I can, but the ads that try to make me feel guilty just make me angry. Especially since they really like to run all of those ads during late night, when I actually get to sit and watch TV.
They also seem to play those commercials the most on Comedy Central...

duzit

Dos Equis has a new pitchman

I do not like the new "Most Interesting Man In The World; Augustin Legrand, he looks dirty, needs a bath.

I like the original Most Interesting Man In The World; Jonathan Goldsmith

They sent Goldsmith on a one way trip to Mars, never to be seen again.
He's played TMIMITW since 2006.
Below is a compilation of his ad's that nearly span a decade:
“He lives vicariously through himself“
“His 10-gallon hat holds 20 gallons”
“In museums, he is allowed to touch the art“
“If opportunity knocks, and he’s not at home, opportunity waits“
“His signature won a Pulitzer”
“Bigfoot tries to get pictures of him“
“When he goes to Spain, he chases the bulls”
“Bear hugs are what he gives bears”
“Once he ran a marathon because it was ‘on the way'”
“He is the life of parties that he has never attended“
“He has inside jokes with people he’s never met”
“Presidents take his birthday off”
“He once had an awkward moment, just to see how it feels“
“His tears can cure cancer; too bad he never cries“
“He is considered a national treasure in countries he’s never visited”

chainsaw_metal1

I like the original Most Interesting Man In The World; Jonathan Goldsmith
"His blood smells like cologne."
"He can speak French...in Russian."
"He's a lover, not a fighter. But he's also a fighter, so don't get any ideas."
"He can disarm you with his looks. Or his hands. Either way."
"His organ donor card also lists his beard."
"People hang on his every word...even the prepositions."
"He gave his father 'The Talk'."

I loved those commercials. I don't mind the new guy too much, but he doesn't have the same je ne sais quoi.

I remembered the other trend in commercials I hate. The ones that attempt to insult you for liking a particular product. Pillsbury had a string of commercials for their Toaster Pastries, where they put down Pop Tarts (and all of their generic cousins), and cleverly worded them so people didn't realize they were essentially saying "If you like Pop Tarts, you're wrong". Same with the Quizno's commercials where they basically told the audience that they were stupid for eating at Subway. I like Subway sandwiches, and avoided Quizno's because of the ads.

Last edited:

duzit

The Trivago Guy Lost His Gig to Actress Gabrielle Miller. I want the rumpled guy back Tim Williams

chainsaw_metal1

I was wondering what was going on. I had still seen a couple of commercials with him in them, but I had seen her in a few as well. That sucks. I like the dude.

duzit

Nice eye candy, he is the reason I paid attention to the ads. Now, I could care less...