Review Vox Lux (2018)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
ban1.jpg

Vox Lux
Raffey Cassidy (“The Killing of a Sacred Deer,” “Tomorrowland”) has joined Natalie Portman and Jude Law in Brady Corbet’s new film “Vox Lux” for Bold Films. The soundtrack will feature all original songs written by Sia.

Spanning a fifteen year run from 1999 to 2014, Cassidy plays Celeste, a young woman who rises from the ashes of a major national tragedy to pop superstardom.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

afsdfa.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie......

An unusual set of circumstances brings unexpected success to a pop star.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

First Trailer: Natalie Portman In “Vox Lux”

first-trailer-natalie-portman-in-vox-lux-696x464.jpg

In 2004 young actor Brady Corbet suddenly arrived on the scene, taking the lead role in the CG-heavy live-action family film “Thunderbirds” along with more acclaimed turns in arthouse darlings “Mysterious Skin” and “Thirteen”.

Since then Corbet has shown an aptitude for picking critically well-regarded fare including “Martha Marcy May Marlene,” “Melancholia,” “Clouds of Sils Maria,” “Force Majeure,” and “Eden”. Hell, the guy even managed to make time for a small role on FOX’s “24” too.

He’s been thinking bigger though. Having served as a writer on two films and editor on two more, he took his first shot at becoming a writer/director with 2016’s fascinating birth of fascism feature “The Childhood of a Leader”. It wasn’t always successful, but it was interesting and made with a surprising amount of aptitude.

Now he’s back with his second film, “Vox Lux,” which premieres next week at the Venice Film Festival. Today the film’s first trailer has gone online and showcases the back of Natalie Portman’s head.

Portman stars as a pop star named Celeste and the film follows her rise to superstardom from her first successes in 1999 through to the present day. Jude Law, Stacy Martin, Jennifer Ehle, and Raffey Cassidy also star in the film which boasts original songs composed by singer-songwriter Sia.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Portman Regrets Her Manic Pixie Girl Role

portman-regrets-her-manic-pixie-girl-role-696x464.jpg

Before there were Mary Sues, there was the ‘Manic Pixie Dream Girl’. Famously exemplified by Natalie Portman in 2004’s “Garden State” and Kirsten Dunst in 2005’s “Elizabethtown,” the name refers to a stock character type – a young pretty woman who exists solely to teach broodingly soulful young men to embrace life and all its mystery and adventure.

It’s an idealistic, vapid and limiting character creation said to be born in the “fevered imaginations of sensitive writer-directors”. The character has no discernible inner life, no goals of their own and don’t pursue their own happiness – their only point is to help a (usually white) male protagonist to learn a lesson. It’s essentially a white female version of the infamous ‘Magical Negro’ stock character type.

In a new interview with Vanity Fair, Academy Award-winner Portman looks back at her various roles and says that role and what it represents is one of her low points:

“I was very lucky that what I was cast in wasn’t anything deliberate – serious adult fare and not child-appropriate things. But I feel like I totally ended up in female tropes, like Lolita. And clearly, I was part of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl coining. I find it very upsetting to be part of that.”

In recent months, Portman has made herself one of the most vocal women in the Time’s Up movement and been very supportive of the #MeToo movement. Her new film “Vox Lux” hits cinemas December 7th.