Review Who Pays The Ferryman ep3- Long Shadow

Discussion in 'TV: Reviews' started by michaellevenson, Jun 29, 2018.

1. michaellevenson

michaellevenson Member: Rank 6

Alan "Leandros" Haldane has an idea to solve Elena's problem regarding her husbands insistence that their taverna be sold to property developers. He is with Elena discussing it. At his home meanwhile, the villa he has borrowed from lawyer friend Babis, Matheos Noukakis turns up. He is delivering a gift from Annika. It is a mast for a small sailing vessel. Haldane is in the boat building business and in the sitting room are plans and drawings for a boat. Matheos enters, leaving the mast outside of course, the door unlocked. No sign of Haldane, but on the table is a letter, an airmail envelope from England.
    Matheos is of course full of jealousy with Leandros and Annika openly seeing each other. He reads the letter, and has a plan for a rather cruel joke.
    More.
    Previous Episode
    https://www.imdforums.com/threads/who-pays-the-ferryman-ep2-some-talk-of-alexander.5078/
    Next Episode
    https://www.imdforums.com/threads/who-pays-the-ferryman-ep4-a-dead-man-to-carry-my-cross.5081/

#1 michaellevenson, Jun 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  2. michaellevenson

Annika, Elena, Nikos and Haldane all sit at Annika's place and discuss a plan to transform the taverna. Haldane will invest capital into taverna and build a dozen or so small boats, creating work for the locals, and turn the taverna into a holiday destination for tourists, accommodation and boat hiring rolled into one. Nikos is persuaded, and the marital quarrels between him and Elana hopefully behind them. Haldane of course tells everyone that he expects a profit, and not that he's doing it because he's Elena's father, a fact that no one except Babis Spiridakis knows.
    Babis is visiting Katerina, the mother of Annika, who last episode failed to stop Annika seeing Leandros.
    K " Annika still refuses to take my advice. She is headstrong and also I worry about my granddaughter Elena, this business with the taverna"
    B " ah Katerina , there i have good news for you. An offer to invest in the taverna has been made, to turn it into a profitable business. Nikos has accepted. The offer comes from a friend of mine, a good man called Alan Haldane, he fought in the war for the Andartes, we call him Leandros. You must have heard of him?"
    K " yes I have "
    She turns away in disgust , but says nothing. Leandros is weaseling his way into her family as far as she is concerned. Her guilty secret of 30 years,( see ep1) could be exposed.
    More

3. michaellevenson

Haldane is at home , just rang Annika thanking her for the mast, he is at his work desk pouring over boat designs when the door bell rings. In walks Lorna Mathews, this is the woman who wrote to him from England.
    Lorna " Alan I was so happy when I got your telegram, and the air ticket. That was sweet of you. You didn't have to , just knowing you're still interested in me , I would have flown here."
    The letter was Lorna telling Alan that a guy named Philip had proposed to her, and at her age, 42, she was considering accepting, but wanted to finally make sure that there was no chance of getting back with her old flame Alan. But Haldane replied, she is so happy.
    Haldane "Lorna, there's no easy way of saying this, but I didn't send a telegram or an air ticket. Someone has played a rather cruel joke, and when I find out who I'll break their neck!"
    Lorna collapses in tears , Alan comforts her, then looks up and sees Annika in the open doorway. Annika runs out , gets in her car and drives off.
    More

4. michaellevenson

Lorna accepts it's over between her and Haldane, and that he loves Annika. Haldane has told her the whole story, about Malina back in '44, his daughter Elena, and now he is in love with Malina 's sister , and daren't reveal this to Annika.
    H " even if she loves me, she being Malina 's sister would believe I abandoned her and never wrote to her after the war. I could lose Annika too"
    On her way to the airport and home Lorna stops off at Annika's home.
    A " why are you here? to boast?"
    L " you made a big mistake, there's nothing between Alan and me. He was just comforting me after a rather cruel joke" She tells Annika all about it.
    A " thank you, it was brave of you to come here"
    L " take care of Alan, he is worth holding on to, something I couldn't do"
    Later Annika confronts Matheos,
    " I had to go to every travel agent to find out, but it was you who bought the air ticket, and sent the telegram"
    M " I did it for you. Haldane is not the right man for you"
    A " I will decide that! Not you. Anyway you did it not for me but because you're a spiteful and jealous man..you were a good factory manager, I'll miss you for that, but do not go back there again, any money owing you will be sent. Now get out, and light a candle if Leandros ever finds out what you did to him"
    M." I'm not afraid of him. I have friends, many, if I sneeze he will catch cold, if I spit at him he will drown"
    At Katerina's villa, her son Petros has arrived.
    P " mother what is this secrecy, that I had to fly here from Athens so urgently?"
    K " it concerns your sisters. Malina, may she rest in peace, and Annika. A man has come to Crete who threatens the good name of one, and the happiness of the other. Your duty is to go against this man, and if necessary destroy him!"

5. michaellevenson

Patience Collier as Katerina.
    [​IMG]
    Takis Emmanuel as Matheos
    [​IMG]