Review Aladdin (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Disney Struggling To Find “Aladdin” Stars

disney-struggling-to-find-aladdin-stars-696x464.jpg

After a months long search, filmmaker Guy Ritchie and Disney Pictures are reportedly struggling to find actors to fill the lead roles in its live-action adaptation of their classic 1992 animated film “Aladdin” says Heat Vision.

The studio and Ritchie launched a global casting call in March to find the stars for the musical about a street kid who teams with a genie to woo the princess Jasmine.

Reportedly around 2,000 actors and actresses have read for the lead roles of Jasmine and Aladdin, but finding a male lead of Middle-Eastern or Indian descent in his 20s who can act and sing has apparently proven difficult.

In fact it has been hard enough that the original July start of production date has been pushed back to next month with Disney and Ritchie having to go back to the drawing board multiple times. Sources for the trade say there has been several rounds of tests in London, actors coming in for up to two weeks at a time to test.

The studio is said to be eyeing either “Power Rangers” actress Naomi Scott or Indian actress Tara Sutaria to play Jasmine, but won’t lock down a deal until the male lead has been selected as chemistry is important to the story.

The studio was said to be interested in Dev Patel and Riz Ahmed, but the male lead will likely be a newcomer with Dutch actor Achraf Koutet, Canadian actor Mena Massoud and American George Kosturos all said to still be in the running.

Will Smith has signed on to play the Genie, and sources say the studio is after known names for the role of the villain Jafar. At the same time the studio has brought on two movie-musical veterans to consult on the project: Marc Platt and Chris Montan.

Doctor Omega

Disney Announces Live-Action “Aladdin” Cast

disney-announces-live-action-aladdin-cast-696x464.jpg

Mena Massoud (“Jack Ryan”) and Naomi Scott (“Power Rangers”) have scored the lead roles of Aladdin and Jasmine respectively in Guy Ritchie’s upcoming live-action take on the 1992 animated classic “Aladdin” for Walt Disney Studios.

The casting comes after an extensive worldwide search to find actors for those leading roles. The studio also confirmed that Will Smith will play the role of the Genie in the film which boasts a script by John August.

One interesting change is that the movie will not be a plain remake of the original, it will also take elements from the original “One Thousand and One Nights” folk tale that inspired the movie.

Ritchie helms from a script by John August and musical elements of the 1992 hit will be kept.

Doctor Omega

Aladdin news: Will Smith CONFIRMED as the Genie

Aladdin-casting-revealed-with-Will-Smith-as-Genie-1001954.jpg

Will Smith had been rumoured for weeks to be taking the role made famous by Robin Williams in the original 1992 cartoon.

His casting was officially confirmed at the Disney D23 Expo in California today.

Doctor Omega

“Thrones” Scribe To Re-Write “Aladdin”

producer-talks-disneys-live-action-aladdin-films-696x464.jpg

Former “Game of Thrones” scribe Vanessa Taylor has been hired to rewrite the script for the live-action “Aladdin” film at Disney Pictures.

Taylor will be working off the previous draft which John August co-wrote with director Guy Ritchie. August and Dan Lin are producing the film which will begin production in London next month.

The news follows on from the weekend’s announcement that Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott have respectively been cast in the roles of Aladdin and Jasmine and will join Will Smith was the Genie.

Doctor Omega

Marwan Kenzari Is Jafar In Disney’s “Aladdin”

marwan-kenzari-is-jafar-in-disneys-aladdin-696x464.jpg

Award-winning Dutch actor Marwan Kenzari is in negotiations to play the villain Jafar in Guy Ritchie’s live-action “Aladdin” remake at Disney Pictures.

So far the cast includes Mena Massoud as Aladdin, Naomi Scott as Jasmine, Will Smith as the Genie, and Nasim Pedrad as a handmaid.

The original animated movie dealt with the famed Arabic folk tale of a young man granted three wishes by a genie trapped in a lamp. John August penned the script for the new film which Dan Lin (“Sherlock Holmes”) will produce.

Kenzari is coming off a bumper year with roles in multiple major movies including the remakes of “The Mummy,” “Ben-Hur” and “Murder on the Orient Express” along with “Collide,” “The Promise” and Netflix’s “What Happened to Monday”.

Doctor Omega

Disney’s “Aladdin” Remake Begins Production

disneys-aladdin-remake-begins-production-696x464.jpg

Production has officially begun on Guy Ritchie’s live-action remake of Walt Disney Pictures’ 1992 animated classic “Aladdin”.

The first photo has also been released of the four main cast members on the set at Longcross Studios outside London. The photo includes Will Smith who plays Genie, Mena Massoud as Aladdin, Naomi Scott as Princess Jasmin, and Marwan Kenzari as Jafar.

The film also stars Navid Negahban as the Sultan, Nasim Pedrad as handmaiden Dalia, Billy Magnussen as Prince Anders, and Numan Acar as palace guards head Hakim.
Dan Lin and Marc Platt are producing.

John August adapted the screenplay for the project which will be a part musical with Alan Menken providing the score with new recordings of the original songs he co-wrote with Ashman & Rice, along with two new ones by himself and “La La Land” songwriters Benj Pasek and Justin Paul.

Doctor Omega

Billy Magnussen Joins Disney’s “Aladdin”

billy-mangussen-up-for-aladdin-696x464.jpg

Billy Magnussen (“Into the Woods,” “Ingrid Goes West”) has joined the cast of Guy Ritchie’s live-action “Aladdin” musical feature at Disney Pictures.

Magnussen will play Prince Anders, an original character not seen in the 1992 animated feature. All other character details are under wraps.

The film stars Mena Massoud as the street rat turned prince, Naomi Scott as Princess Jasmine, Marwan Kenzari as the villain Jafar and Will Smith as the Genie.

SNL alum Nasim Pedrad is also onboard as another original character, Jasmine’s handmaiden Mara. John August penned the script.

Doctor Omega

Live-Action “Aladdin” Is Ditching The Tiger

live-action-aladdin-is-ditching-the-tiger.jpg

The Guy Ritchie-directed upcoming live-action adaptation of Disney’s “Aladdin” is making a few changes from the original film, and today it has been revealed that one of the most notable is that Jasmine’s pet tiger Rajah is being removed.

Naomi Scott, who will portray Jasmine in the new movie has revealed to THR that Rajah is gone in order to focus on Jasmine’s relationship with a new character, her handmaid Dalia (played by Nasim Pedrad).

Why is this? Because the film wanted to show how Jasmine relates to another woman and, unfortunately in the original 1990s cartoon, Jasmine is the sole female character main or supporting. Scott says:

“I never realized it, but in the animation, Jasmine is really the only female character — isn’t that crazy?… So we wanted people to watch the movie and see Jasmine’s relationship with another woman, and be like, ‘Ah, that’s what I’m like with my girlfriend,’ or ‘We would so do that if I was in that position.’ That’s something that’s missing from the animation.”

Scott adds that Dalia and Jasmine have been best friends for their entire lives despite Jasmine being in the greater position of power in that relationship:

“The Dalia character is so important to this movie because she’s the only other female character. She may be the handmaiden but they’re best friends; they’re so close because they’ve grown up together.”

In ditching the anthropomorphised tiger, it suggests the film might also ditch Jafar’s parrot Iago which puts the casting of Numan Acar as Jafar’s new henchman Hakim in a new light. No word on Aladdin’s monkey Apu either, though as the creature didn’t speak it could still be in there.

The live-action “Aladdin” is set for release in May 2019.

Sunflower007

Member: Rank 3
:emoji_relaxed:~ So far I haven't heard anything new about this production of the live Aladdin film. I do have my doubts but maybe they could be wrong. I the Disney live movie I saw was Beauty and the Beast. To be frank I didn't like that one, before was the Cinderella one that was a bit enjoyable but hasn't come close to the original. A friend from my job already told me that she heard talks of Disney planing to do a live The Little Mermaid.

*~:emoji_bird:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find strength in what
remains behind
."

By: William Wordsworth

filmfan95

All I can say is, if this movie is happening, they better completely rewrite the character of the Genie in order to make him as different as possible in tone from the animated version of him, because in my opinion nobody can replace Robin Williams as the character as depicted in the animated version.

Sunflower007

All I can say is, if this movie is happening, they better completely rewrite the character of the Genie in order to make him as different as possible in tone from the animated version of him, because in my opinion nobody can replace Robin Williams as the character as depicted in the animated version.

:emoji_raised_back_of_hand:~ I agree 100%. No disrespect to Will Smith but he doesn't light a candle to the late & iconic Robin Williams.

*~:emoji_comet:~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find strength in what
remains behind
."

By: William Wordsworth

Doctor Omega

“Aladdin” Scribe Not A Fan Of Remake

aladdin-scribe-not-a-fan-of-remake-696x464.jpg

Disney’s 1992 animated classic “Aladdin” has numerous credited writers, the two key ones being “Pirates of the Caribbean” and “The Legend of Zorro” scribes Terry Rossio and Ted Elliot.

With the release of the trailer for the 2018 live-action remake earlier this week, Rossio has taken to Twitter to reveal an unexpected bit of news – Disney’s not paid him or Elliot for the new film which is said to use much of the original film’s script. He says:

“So strange that literally the only words spoken in the new Aladdin trailer happens to be a rhyme that my writing partner and I wrote, and Disney offers zero compensation to us (or to any screenwriters on any of these live-action re-makes) not even a t-shirt or a pass to the park.

The reason for this ties back to the Writer’s Guild of America’s rules – animated movies aren’t covered by the WGA and so Disney isn’t legally required to pay the original writers anything – not just on this but all live-action remakes of animated films.

The Guy Ritchie-directed film stars Mena Massoud as Aladdin, Naomi Scott as Princess Jasmine, Marwan Kenzari as Jafar, and Will Smith as Genie. It opens in cinemas May 24th 2019.