Review Aladdin (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Will Smith: “Aladdin” Genie Will Be Blue

will-smith-aladdin-genie-will-be-blue-696x464.jpg

Will Smith had to reassure some fans that his Aladdin Genie will be blue after some confusion over the first look at the character.

Smith posted the first look at the character on Wednesday via his Instagram account. Along with the magazine cover, Smith wrote, "Bam!! First look at the Genie, Princess Jasmine, and #Aladdin! Check Me Rockin’ the Top Knot Ponytail Vibes in @entertainmentweekly (and yes, I’m gonna be Blue! :-) )."

The character is also expected to have CGI elements.

Last edited:

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Those are all beautiful pictures and costumes. But like an earlier poster said, they couldn’t have filmed in a desert? Even “Life of Brian” was filmed in Tunisia. A comedy looks more authentic than this movie. I miss the days when a movie was really a movie, with a real set, and not just CGI here and CGI there.

I still maintain this remake is not necessary, but at least it will look good.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
The second of at least three live-action Disney adaptations this year, Guy Ritchie helms this take on the 1992 animated romantic fantasy adventure film of the same name based on the classic folktale. The original has a huge fanbase who aren’t sure what to expect with the film, especially its casting of Will Smith in the role of the Genie – taking over from the great Robin Williams in the part. Indeed this won’t be slavish like “Beauty and the Beast” or the upcoming “The Lion King,” with this said to be “ambitious and nontraditional” including a nonlinear format. Many of the musical elements will be retained, and the film has already weathered one controversy regarding the ‘browning up’ of some extras, but many will remain sceptical about it until we see the proper full trailer hopefully in the next few weeks.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Today was the last day “Aladdin” was playing in the theater where I saw it, and I went early in the morning so there weren’t that many people there. Thankfully.

My cousin was wild about this movie – she went to see it twice! So my mother said she had to see it. (She’s never seen the animated one.) My verdict? It wasn’t really spectacular but it was appealing. The costumes were beautiful, but the sets and staging were a little claustrophobic. I missed Gilbert Gottfried as Iago, but Iago and Abu were really more animal-like in this version (naturally) so their anthropomorphic qualities in the animated version wouldn’t have worked here. That’s why for an animal sidekick Disney should stick to traditional animation! (And the tiger did make an appearance.)

I really liked Naomi Scott as Jasmine. I found this Jasmine more likable than the animated one – in the cartoon she was just kind of, I don’t know, bitchy in place of being strong I thought. Here she was more fleshed out and the addition of the handmaiden didn’t hurt. I kind of preferred the serious Sultan to the squat comic one, for some reason – maybe because short comical Disney fathers don’t do anything for me (see Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and Cinderella). Mena Massoud was okay – I kind of think he had more chemistry with Will Smith than with Naomi Scott though.

And I did like Will Smith, when he was allowed to be himself. They kind of tried to shoehorn him into Robin Williams’ characterization a little too much at times. I also did really enjoy the ending with him and Dinah.

Jafar was ... ahhhh .... meh. Nasty guy but not as flamboyant and purringly evil as the original. I just love the original Jafar and Iago. They were the best.

The songs were – wellllll – not as good as the original. There was a cute part at the end, before the credits. So I’d have to say, overall, not bad but not a work of genius or anything.