Were We Robbed of a Great Alien Film in Alien 5?

• Yes!

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Who knows?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10

So, after all the fuss of the announcement of a Neil Blomkamp Alien 5, featuring Ripley, Hicks and Newt and serving as a "new direct sequel" to Aliens, while somehow acknowledging Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection, Mister Blomkamp recently stated that the chances of this film actually being made are now "slim".

What are your thoughts on this development? Or non-development, rather?

Deep disappointment?

Or great relief at a narrow escape?

[/ATTACH] 12239598_648394398636706_765842887424250397_n.jpg alien-5-derelict-space-jockey-ship-concept-art-220267.jpg alien-5-environment-concept-art-104033.jpg alien-5-neill-blomkamp-01.jpg AlienWoman.png hed-1200x675.jpg marek-okon-under-control-1920.jpg Neill-Blomkamp-Alien-Concept-Art-slice.jpg newt.jpgripley.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I think that this movie was proposed far too late and - if it was made - would probably suffer from the same fate as Terminator: Genysis: an enticing idea on paper, but a disappointing reality.

It may have a future as a novelisation of the script - or a graphic novel, but I am not too gutted that this one seems to have fizzled out.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I think that this movie was proposed far too late and - if it was made - would probably suffer from the same fate as Terminator: Genysis: an enticing idea on paper, but a disappointing reality.

It may have a future as a novelisation of the script - or a graphic novel, but I am not too gutted that this one seems to have fizzled out.
I like the timeline just the way it is.

I enjoyed ALIEN 3 and think it is a worthy member of the franchise - particularly the extended version. It is much closer in feel to the original than ALIENS was - although I enjoy that film too.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
I loved the idea of skipping the horrible Alien 3 as start just where Aliens ended... I'm really sad now.

Last edited:

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I like the timeline just the way it is.

I enjoyed ALIEN 3 and think it is a worthy member of the franchise - particularly the extended version. It is much closer in feel to the original than ALIENS was - although I enjoy that film too.
Im glad Im not the only one that enjoyed Alien 3(extended version).

I never liked the idea of Blomkamp making an Alien film. I don't like his movies.

I_dont_care

Member: Rank 1
What's wrong with ALIEN 3?
I think you should ask David Fincher. The film is pretty weak. I do think it's wonderful that Fincher bounced back from that film to make SE7EN. FOX suits have destroyed many a career with their meddling. It's good that Fincher escaped that mess.

Alien 3 is bleak. Nothing wrong with that. Not every film has to have a happy ending. I just wanted better for the Ripley character after all she'd been through. But, it wasn't the end after all, as we found out in the next film.

Doctor Omega

Ridley Scott Downplays Neil Blomkamp’s Alien 5: ‘There Was Never a Script’

Alien: Covenant director Ridley Scott says it’s doubtful that fellow director Neill Blomkamp’s Alien 5 will ever be made. Blomkamp, who burst onto the scene in 2009 with the inventive, Best Picture Oscar-nominated sci-fi tale District 9, made his desire known, after working with Sigourney Weaver in 2015’s Chappie, that he wanted to reboot the Alien franchise with Weaver reprising her role as Ellen Ripley. Blomkamp’s Aliens sequel essentially erased the events of Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection, and was meant to properly finish telling Ripley’s story.

Curiously, Blomkamp was pushing for Alien 5 despite the fact that Scott, who directed the first Alien, made what was effectively a prequel to his 1979 sci-fi epic with Prometheus in 2012. Blomkamp’s plans for Alien 5, however, were far from just a pipe dream. In addition to reportedly attracting Weaver’s interest, Blomkamp developed concept art for Alien 5 that signaled the return of a scarred Cpl. Hicks (Michael Biehn) and Newt (Carrie Henn) as an adult, since both characters were found dead by Ripley at the beginning of Alien 3. The project got so much attention that it even earned the praise of Aliens director James Cameron.

Shortly thereafter, of course, Scott began his work on Alien: Covenant. And if that wasn’t enough to dampen Blomkamp’s spirits, Scott’s latest thoughts on the prospects of Alien 5 will. In an interview with the French publication Allocine, Scott offers his opinion on the future of Blomkamp’s film. He says (translated from the original French by Screen Rant):

“I don’t think it will ever see the light of day. There was never a script. Just an idea that evolved from a dozen or so pages. I had to participate as producer, but it didn’t go farther because Fox decided it didn’t want to do it. As far I was concerned, I had already done Prometheus and I was working on Covenant. “

If by some miracle Scott does an about-face on his remarks and gives his blessing to Blomkamp to make Alien 5, it won’t happen anytime soon. Scott said in March that – unlike Alien 5 – the script has already been written for the sequel to Alien: Covenant (tentatively titled Awakening), with production beginning as soon as 2018. Scott even says that Weaver may even return to the franchise (which he doesn’t plan on closing again) at some point, and she would be de-aged with the wonders of CGI.

Since Scott is effectively the father of the Alien movie franchise, there’s no reason to doubt the sincerity of his remarks. Clearly he’s serious about the future direction of the series, otherwise, he never would have done Prometheus and picked up on the franchise up again with Alien: Covenant. Scott’s words shouldn’t come as a complete surprise to Blomkamp, who put Alien 5 on hold in 2015 as Alien: Covenant went into production. Scott’s new remarks, however, all but suggest that Blomkamp should just move on and leave the Alien franchise in hands of the filmmaker who engineered the idea in the first place.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Ridley Scott Explains “Alien 5” Scuttling

Several years ago, “District 9” filmmaker Neill Blomkamp got a lot of people excited about a project he was keen to do – a direct sequel to “Aliens” that would effectively ignore “Alien 3” and “Alien: Resurrection” in favor of a new story that would pick up several decades later.

At the time, shortly after the release of “Prometheus” in 2012, Ridley Scott was slated to executive produce. Then Scott’s “Prometheus” follow-up suddenly took precedent to the point that Blomkamp’s film was pushed back until going into production after – if at all.

At the time it seemed like Scott, who created the franchise and thus has every right to assert creative control, was trying to scuttle the project so he could keep doing his own “Alien” prequel films. Scott’s interview quotes in recent months, suggesting multiple follow-ups to “Alien: Covenant” are coming only seemed to reinforce this – especially as Blomkamp’s film is effectively dead.

Now though Scott, who has begun the “Alien: Covenant” promo tour, has spoken with Allocine about what happened with the Blomkamp project and indicates it was ditched because it wasn’t anywhere near as far along as people expected and so not even close to ready to go into production:

“I think it will never see the light. There was never a scenario, just an idea that evolved into a pitch of ten pages, I had to participate as a producer but it did not go any further because the Fox decided that they did not want to do it. I had already done Prometheus and worked on Covenant.”

This is a little unexpected as “Aliens” director James Cameron in July last year told Gizmodo that Blomkamp’s script was much further along: “I think it works gangbusters. He shared it with me, and I think it’s a very strong script and he could go make it tomorrow. I don’t know anything about the production, and I don’t know what Ridley [Scott]’s doing. But hopefully there’ll be room for both of them. Like parallel universes.”

Blomkamp seemingly posted those pictures independently at the time, though like the “Deadpool” test footage reel – the studio was rumored to have been gauging interest regarding the project. So is there a completed script for Blomkamp’s proposed take? We’ll have to wait to hear more.

“Alien: Covenant” meanwhile is set to open in cinemas on May 19th.

Doctor Omega

Alien-5-plans-ended-by-Ridley-Scott-798496.jpg

Next “Alien” To Film Early-Mid 2018?

Even though “Alien: Covenant” doesn’t start opening in cinemas around the world until tomorrow, those involved in the 20th Century Fox production have been talking it up, including the project’s director Ridley Scott.

Speaking with IGN UK, Scott revealed he’s surprisingly already got some of the schedule set for the next fillm – one that will NOT be called “Alien: Awakening” as previously rumored:”we’re writing [a sequel] now, as we speak. I’ll be filming that within 14 months.

Additionally he talked about Neill Blomkamp’s now defunct “Alien” film which Scott confirms has effectively been killed.:

“They wanted to do Alien, er, Awakening – Neill Blomkamp. I said fine. I was going to be the producer. If I could have, I would have. Except I do question – why have both [Blomkamp’s Alien and Scott’s Alien] out there? It seems like shooting your big toe off – it doesn’t make sense.

But they didn’t go forward with it, Fox, so I just kind of kept out of it. I mean, I’d literally ignited this thing to bring it off the ground again, because it was lying there dormant on a shelf. I had this thing to bring it back up – but here we are.”

“Alien: Covenant” will open in cinemas on May 19th.

Doctor Omega

Teaser Trailer: Neill Blomkamp’s “Oats Volume 1”

teaser-trailer-neill-blomkamps-oats-volume-1-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Neill Blomkamp (“Elysium,” “Chappie”) has premiered a teaser for “Oats Volume 1,” a new online experimental short film series from his new Wild Oats venture which he’s created. Plans are to sell those shorts though PC game distribution service Steam.

From Vietnam-era zombies to reptilian aliens, the trailer teases shorts with a common dystopian and fairly dark future for humanity – all done in the style of the short films Blomkamp built his career on before doing his first feature “District 9”. The first volume of this “Oats” series is slated to begin streaming soon.

Doctor Omega

Newt?

Hicks?

Hicks and Ripley escaping from a menace down a corridor?

With a bit of Predator thrown in by the look of it?

Your roots are showing, Blomkamp! :emoji_grin:

Doctor Omega

“Alien 5” Is Dead, “District 10” Lives?

alien-5-is-dead-district-10-lives-696x464.jpg

After multiple indications suggested it, now filmmaker Neill Blomkamp has made it official – his proposed direct sequel to “Aliens” is dead and won’t be coming back down the line.

Speaking recently, Blomkamp made sure that the death sentence, which essentially came at the behest of Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox who opted to make “Alien: Covenant” instead, was final:

“I think it’s totally dead, yes. That would be an accurate assumption at this point. It’s sad. I spent a long time working on that, and I feel like it was really pretty awesome. But politically, the way it’s gone now, and the way that it all is, it’s just not going to live.

Ridley [Scott] was one of my idols growing up. He’s so talented and he’s made this film that really set me off in a direction. I want to just be as respectful and not go stamping around in this world that he created. I think that if the circumstances were different, and I didn’t feel like I was getting too close to something that he obviously feels a massive personal connection to, that things that may have played out differently. But I did want to be as respectful as possible.”

The disappointing results of the $97 million-budgeted ‘Covenant,’ which has made just $165.3 million worldwide so far, also makes it unclear if Ridley Scott’s plans for at least one more sequel will come to fruition.

With that project gone though, Blomkamp’s long in the works “District 9” sequel may be moving forward sooner than expected. Talking about it, he says:

“With District 9, I plan on making another film in that world. To go back and work with WETA, and make the film would be cool.”

Blomkamp is busy on his “Oats Studio Volume One” sci-fi shorts project due for release later this year.