Were We Robbed of a Great Alien Film in Alien 5?

• Yes!

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Who knows?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Blomkamp’s “Aliens” Sequel Is Definitely Dead

blomkamps-aliens-sequel-is-definitely-dead-696x464.jpg

Filmmaker Neill Blomkamp’s proposed plans for a direct “Aliens” sequel are now well and truly dead. Talking up his Oat Studios label this week, the filmmaker revealed that his desire to make the film has come and gone.

The “District 9” helmer got many fans excited following his sharing of some concept art online several years ago. However, once Ridley Scott decided that he finally wanted to make “Alien: Covenant” then Blomkamp’s movie was put on the shelf and looked unlikely to be revived. Now he says its death is a certainty, telling JoBlo:

“Yeah, I mean, I wish I could share more, but obviously Fox owns it. It’s just an unfortunate thing. I speak to Sigourney about it sometimes. At this point, it’s kinda like the fire that was burning within me to make that is gone. Stepping outside of even the legal kind of studio-based politics I just feel like its time has come and gone.

So, yeah…I think no. And I say that really reluctantly because I cannot state how much of a fan of Sigourney I am and how much of a fan I am of Alien and Aliens and the idea of doing a sequel to James Cameron’s film is amazing on all levels. But, there’s a point at which when you’re years into it you have to move on. So, I think that has happened to me.”

20th Century Fox hasn’t announced what they’re going to do next with “Alien” following the disappointing returns for ‘Covenant’.

Doctor Omega

Sigourney Talks “Alien 5”

sigourney-talks-alien-5-avatar-sequels-696x464.jpg

Sigourney Weaver needs no introduction, the multiple Oscar nominee turned up at the Rome Film Festival the other day to discuss her wide-ranging career.

At the same time though she sat down with THR to talk about the industry reaction to the #MeToo movement and offer brief updates on the “Avatar” sequel filming and the abandoned fifth “Alien” film that helmer Neill Blomkamp was developing.

Speaking of that direct follow-up to “Aliens” which ignores the other sequels, she was asked if we’ll ever see it to which she says unlikely but did confirm it has one key fan:

“We almost started to do it when I was working with James Cameron. But by the time we were put off by Fox, Neill had gotten so many jobs that we’d have to wait probably. I’m busy doing Avatar 4 and 5. I love working with Neill and I think he’d do a terrific job, and James Cameron really thinks it’s a great idea, so you never know. Right now, I think Neill’s got like three projects going at once.”

Doctor Omega

Alien 5 James Cameron To Make It Happen

on the recent red carpet for alita battle angel, James Cameron was asked about Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 project and asked specifically, to get involved, he said he was working on it. which may indicate he's trying to make the film happen and to resurrect the cancelled alien 5 movie.

Doctor Omega

Cameron was asked by IGN on a “Alita: Battle Angel” red carpet the other day if he could help director Neill Blomkamp get his proposed direct sequel to “Aliens” back up and running to which he responded: “I’m working on that, yeah”.

Doctor Omega

Neil Blomkamp Shares Mutated Alien 5 Movie Sculpt!

Although Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 project (code named Red Harvest) has been indefinitely shelved and its fate remains unknown pending Disney's aqcuisition of 20th Century Fox, we still have a rough idea of what the film might have looked like! Just recently Blomkamp shared a photo of an Alien Xenomorph sculpt which was created by Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff Jr. of Amalgamated Dynamics for Alien 5 while it was in development.

The new Alien 5 Xenomorph mimicked that of H.R. Giger's original beast from the 1979 classic, but with added arms, much like that of James Cameron's Alien Queen. Check it out:

Screenshot_20181006-120536_Instagram.jpg

Doctor Omega

“I don’t know. Ridley has gone in a different direction. Maybe Ripley has done her bit. She deserves a rest.”

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Sigourney, as she has from the very beginning, is being too modest about her proven ability to pull off the idea – which is to tell a story that scares the pants off your date, kicks the ass of a new Xenomorph, and conducts a meditation on both the universe of the ‘Alien’ franchise and the destiny of the character of Lt. Ellen Ripley.”