Fun Amicus Productions

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
38465cc7870a64a1ce4f90f9a24ef8cc.jpg

oWhile we are waiting for Universal's DARK UNIVERSE to... well, to do anything.... your thoughts on - and memories of - the films of AMICUS, one of Hammer Studios' main rival back in the day.....

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Updated edition of a book......

download.jpg

In 1965, the newly-formed Amicus Productions of filmmaking duo Max J Rosenberg and Milton Subotsky burst onto the British fantasy scene with Dr Terror’s House of Horrors, an anthology film featuring five tales of suspense and the supernatural. The success of Dr Terror encouraged the partners to produce more of the same and in the years that followed, Torture Garden, The House That Dripped Blood, Tales From the Crypt and others forever associated the name of Amicus with the anthology horror film.The Amicus Anthology is an in-depth look at a body of films which were unique in the annals of fantasy cinema and featured not only the talents of horror icons Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee but those of dozens of the most famous names on the British screen in the 1960s and ’70s.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
And let us not forget that it was Amicus that first thought of doing an updated version of Frankenstein in the fifties and botched the deal leaving Hammer to move in and sign the deal and give us over twenty years of great horror films!
JB

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
What a great collection of novels! I've got two of them, Dr.Terror and Vault and I remember seeing the Doug MaClure At The Earth's Core in shops back in the seventies! Another thing sadly lacking in this dystopian reality of today!
JB

Doctor Omega

I remember seeing the Doug MaClure At The Earth's Core in shops back in the seventies!

That's a memory of mine too! I remember seeing the above cover on an indoor market stall, and having seen the film recently, wanted it badly.

Think I had already spent my pocket money allowance for that week on the latest Terrance Dicks novelisation, so my pleas understandably fell on deaf ears.:emoji_alien:

Suspect I would have been baffled by the contents a little though.

"This isn't what was on the screen!!!"