Review An Unearthly Child (1963)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Yes, that was my first introduction to Hartnell and Troughton as moving, talking Doctors - as they had previously just been still photographs in Doctor Who Weekly/Monthly and the Doctor Who Monster Book before then - and starred in the odd the odd Target Book or annual too.

DoctorWhoMonsterBook1.jpg Doctor_Who_1.jpg s-l300 (1).jpg 1490013.jpg s-l640.jpg Doctor_Who_The_Three_Doctors.jpg s-l300.jpg

So yes, seeing actual episodes of their respective reigns was delightful.

Credit to JNT for pushing for a repeat season in the long gap between Logopolis and Castrovalva.

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
It was a fantastic month back in 81 and shame they never continued doing it every other year! The Monsters season was good but Genesis was a compilation version and Peladon was a double up job while Earthshock had only been on a few months earlier!
JB

Doctor Omega

This came out around about the same time too and helped us to get a better knowledge of the show up to that point.....

10910520385_ae8e9371fb_z.jpg

and complimented the making of book that had already been released twice and the long out of print Radio Times Special..... That was more or less it for guidebooks, although the weekly was starting to fill in the gaps in our knowledge.

And then there was the rush-release of the novelisation of the first story because of the repeat, with the price hiked up to a whopping £1.25! The crooks!

md19515216851.jpg MakingDrWho72.jpg Radio Times Doctor Who 10th Anniversary Special Cover by you.jpg DWM57.jpg 5edd8ee2c70d83f1225492da61f86dd4.jpg

johnnybear

I had the original Radio times special but sadly didn't look after it and eventually it went the way of all things! The Making of Doctor Who (Pertwee cover) I picked up for a few quid in a sci-fi shop somewhere about twenty years back and it's very different to the Tom Baker edition! The episode guide only goes up to The Sea Devils instead of Tom's Hand of Fear and there are pages dedicated to Who myth and lore like The Doctor's name in Gallifreyan hieroglyphs, which was put onto the console that Troughton and Pertwee were reading in The Five Doctors for instance but never revealed to the public!
JB

Doctor Omega

I also think that a lot of the c.g.i. of this new stuff will ultimately date worse than the green bubble wrap of old. The 2005, 2006 series etc. are already starting to look a bit ropey in this regard i.m.o.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I also think that a lot of the c.g.i. of this new stuff will ultimately date worse than the green bubble wrap of old. The 2005, 2006 series etc. are already starting to look a bit ropey in this regard i.m.o.
Which might actually make them seem a bit more like DOCTOR WHO of old...

johnnybear

I've never understood the green bubblewrap complaints in Ark in Space? To me that grub looked pretty scary and I never noticed the costumes failings! The Wirrn too, they looked very nasty and malevolent from what we saw and their walking was only shown to us on screen and they were obviously small models! Strange how apart from a cameo in Stones of Blood, the Wirrn have never returned?
JB