Fun Any quotes you don't care for?

SoapboxQuantez08

Member: Rank 2
"Everything happens for a reason."

Not at all. If I'm posting at the library, and some nut decides to blow me away just because he lost his girlfriend, lost his job, and wanted to make the headlines, I fail to see a legitimate reason, per se.

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

I may be able to agree with this from a mental standpoint.
But physically: If I were to have an accident that turns me into a basket-case, I fail to see how I'm going to be stronger.

SoapboxQuantez08

I do still disagree with the quote physically-speaking, but perhaps I can change your mind about the mental aspect.

For example, in order for Michael Jordan to start winning championships, he had to get past the Detroit Pistons.
They tried everything they could to get inside his head.
It may have worked for 2 or 3 seasons, but after that, he became extremely determined.
He himself has credited the Bad Boys as the reason he became ultra-hungry for titles.
As for getting past the hurdle the Pistons presented, it may not have been pleasant, but it helped.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
"What goes around comes around"

While it may be comforting to think that that person who slighted you will eventually get their comeuppance, sadly life suggests that this may not be the case.

All too often bastards continue to thrive while their victims continue to suffer.

Matthew Hopkins, the Witchfinder General died peacefully in his sleep.

SoapboxQuantez08

"What goes around comes around"

While it may be comforting to think that that person who slighted you will eventually get their comeuppance, sadly life suggests that this may not be the case.

All too often bastards continue to thrive while their victims continue to suffer.

Matthew Hopkins, the Witchfinder General died peacefully in his sleep.
I do agree with this.
Sociopaths, for example, never get their due.
Some "bastards" do, but it's more due to a crisis of conscience, rather than events unfolding upon them.

filmfan95

Member: Rank 3
"Life isn't fair."

While technically true, this quote is very overused. School teachers in particular would say it in order to defend their use of collective punishment (a practice I view as criminal, but that's a rant for another day). I would say "collective punishment isn't fair," and they would respond with "life isn't fair."

It irks me. True, if somebody were to act stupid with fire or something, and end up burning up a building by accident, lots of innocent people would lose possessions to a fire that wasn't their fault. An unfair situation. There were lots of events that weren't fair. 9/11 wasn't fair. The Holocaust wasn't fair. These are things that happened because of evil and foolish people. None of the people I knew had any control over the situation.

But this situation is not a good comparison to those events, because my teachers did in fact have control over the situation of punishing students. They are choosing to create an artificially unfair situation. It's wrong, it should be illegal, and the "life isn't fair" quote does not excuse that behavior. From that logic, I can just go around and con people out of their money, not keep my side of the deal on anything, and just do whatever I want, because "life isn't fair." That is just ridiculous. I understand that the quote is true. It's very true indeed. But that doesn't mean that we should deliberately make life unfair. We should try our hardest to do the right thing.