Review Aquaman (2018)

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Proving that there is virtually nothing a true animal love won't do if one of their buddies is in danger! Lots of people may call this an act of insanity but to me, very life has value and any action taken to preserve the life of another is both courageous and compassionate.

Go Ms. Brock!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer: DBs to wish you a speedy recovery and to honor you as a person. :emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers::emoji_dancers:

Thanks as always Doc. some may not see this story as being all that important but, to me, anything that demonstrates our ability to act with love and self-sacrifice deserves some "airing"! :emoji_kiss::emoji_kiss:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Just stumbled on this oddity from 2006......

Proceed with caution..... :emoji_confused:

aquaman-wide.jpg

Aquaman is a television pilot developed by Smallville creators Al Gough and Miles Millar for The WB Television Network, based on the DC Comics character of the same name. Gough and Millar wrote the pilot, which was directed by Greg Beeman. Justin Hartley starred as Arthur "A.C." Curry, a young man living in a beachside community in the Florida Keys who learns about his powers and destiny as the Prince of Atlantis.

The Aquaman pilot was expected to debut in the fall schedule of 2006, but following the merger of the WB and UPN, the resulting CW Network opted not to buy the series. After they passed on the pilot, it was made available online through iTunes in the United States and became the number-one most downloaded television show on iTunes. It received generally favorable reviews, was later released on other online markets, and aired on Canadian television network YTV.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

What Makes Aquaman Such A Fascinating Character, According To Geoff Johns

0cfe4e606f1842b51ed1a9c2d8538c4ca2af47b9.jpg

As the President and CCO of DC Comics, Geoff Johns carries quite a lot of credibility when it comes to the company's heroes -- but there are some in particular where he is considered a true expert. In the modern era he's written not only critically-acclaimed and beloved arcs for Green Lantern and The Flash, but he even did his part to try and completely change the public face of Aquaman. This is an important thing to consider when you recognize that he's producing and co-writing director James Wan's upcoming Aquaman movie -- and today during a special panel at San Diego Comic-Con he highlighted exactly what it is about the character that he finds fascinating. Said Johns,

Why is Aquaman interesting? I can tell you from my perspective, emotionally why it's interesting is because his father was a human, his mother was Atlantean, and he thinks he's a half-breed and he doesn't belong in either world -- the surface or the oceans or Atlantis. He kind of considers himself a man of no world. And it's not really until he's with Mera that he finds a place in life; and his brother, Orm, is full Atlantean, and it's Arthur's job, Aquaman's arc was to bring the two worlds together.

In 2011, when DC Comics restarted their continuity with The New 52, Geoff Johns took over the Aquaman book, and essentially highlighted everything mentioned above in the character during his arc. The aquatic superhero spent years as a punchline, made fun of for his ability to "talk to fish" (something Johns pointed out he doesn't actually do), but the comic book writer/executive did his part to reinvent Arthur Curry as an emotionally complex individual who both belongs to different worlds and at the same time belongs to neither.

Given Geoff Johns' credits on the Aquaman movie, starring Jason Momoa, it was already assumed that the New 52 version of the character would be an important source of inspiration for the blockbuster -- but Johns did his part to confirm that during his panel today at Comic-Con. Discussing his role as the Chief Creative Officer at DC Comics and how it influences his work in other mediums, he explained that he has a strong idea of what he wants to see in terms of representation, and also that he wields an important amount of influence thanks to his resume. Said Johns,

I work with a lot of great people, but the whole thing is to craft and shape the story and tone to fit the character and celebrate the character, instead of deconstruct the character. You want to celebrate the character, because you have to really celebrate something and build it up to really make it into something that represents who that character truly is. And also, the fact that I've written all these comic books it gives me a lot of credibility coming into the room, because it's hard to argue, sometimes. People can tell me what they think Aquaman is, but I wrote the book -- literally -- so it helps me.

Unfortunately, it's still going to be a minute before we get to see the full extent of Geoff Johns' influence over Aquaman, as the movie is still pretty far out. The production is currently rolling in Brisbane, Australia, and Warner Bros. has the blockbuster scheduled to swim to theaters on December 21st. That being said, we do fully expect a constant flow of updates about the film between now and then -- especially because of the Warner Bros. presentation that is scheduled to go down here at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday.

Doctor Omega

Warners Announces “Flashpoint,” “Lantern” & More

NEfXSBwNVsWmkf_1_c.jpg

Kicking off the DC Films section of its Comic Con panel this year, Warner Bros. Pictures unleashed a video reel that contained a bunch of logos that confirm the slate of films they have in the works and are moving forward on.

The most interesting reveal was that of “Flashpoint,” the title for “The Flash” movie which suggests an adaptation of the famed comic Flashpoint comics storyline.

Also confirmed were a “Wonder Woman” sequel, the Green Lantern Corps.” movie, and the already announced “Shazam,” “Suicide Squad 2, “The Batman,” “Justice League Dark” and “Batgirl”.

A brief clip from “Aquaman” was also shown in the room and won’t be brought online. The footage sees....

a couple old fisherman in a boat in the middle of an ocean. One of them cast their reel out and he gets a bite – and suddenly the boat is being dragged until the fisherman lets go.

Soon there’s a rumbling under the ocean and we see a whole fleet of Ocean Master’s stingray-shaped ships moving through the water, along with Atlanteans swimming around on sharks. Another scene has Momoa inside of a sunken ship in an air pocket and holding a red sword.

“Aquaman” opens December next year.

Doctor Omega

James Wan On “Aquaman” Filming Challenge

james-wan-on-aquaman-filming-challenge-696x464.jpg

He’s handled his share of difficult shoots before, but filmmaker James Wan has revealed that unsurprisingly the upcoming “Aquaman” movie is proving a major challenge due to the underwater nature of the shoot.

Speaking with Heat Vision on a break during filming, Wan discussed the technical issues with such a shoot:

“It’s a very technically challenging shoot to be on. Working with water, and even the dry-for-wet sequences are very complex. … Our equivalent of two people sitting around chatting in the underwater world is super complicated. You have to think about CG with the hair, and how their clothing moves, how are they floating, what kind of rig we put them on and all that stuff.”

Part of the reason is Wan is trying not to cheat and so is doing as much of the film for real as he can – skipping out on the CG visual effects wherever possible:

“That just makes it very difficult and time-sucking and time-challenging to do all of this. So it’s not an easy shoot – but hopefully, it will pay off in spades down the line.”

Wan also spoke about the hiring of Dolph Lundgren as King Nereus. Wan explained it was his friend, director Mike Mendez, who suggested Lundgren for the role which requires a certain regalness. Of the action star, Wan says:

“He’s a really strong actor. I don’t think anyone gives him enough credit for how serious he actually takes his craft. He’s taking it very seriously on this film.”

“Aquaman” is currently targeting a December 21st 2018 release.

Doctor Omega

“Aquaman” Set Photos Show Armor & Momoa

aquaman-set-photos-show-armor-momoa-696x464.jpg

More photos keep coming in from the set of James Wan’s “Aquaman” film with the new shots offering a better look at the dry land armor sported by Atlanteans loyal to the villainous Ocean Master (Patrick Wilson).

There’s also shots of Jason Momoa as Arthur Curry/Aquaman engaging in some fisticuffs with an assailant, and a glimpse at the finished house set being used for several weeks. Production is slated to continue for through much of the rest of the year ahead of a December 2018 opening.

Doctor Omega

Dafoe Talks “Aquaman” Shooting Challenge

dafoe-talks-aquaman-shooting-challenge-696x464.jpg

Out doing promotional rounds for Netflix’s adaptation of the manga series “Death Note,” actor Willem Dafoe spoke about his role as Aquaman’s senior advisor Vulko in both the upcoming “Justice League” and James Wan’s currently in production “Aquaman” films.

Dafoe confirms to Screen Crush that Vulko will have his usual mentor/advisor relationship with Arthur Curry in the films, with his ‘League’ appearance being only very brief. He’s got a much more substantial turn in “Aquaman” and spoke about how Wan is dealing with the issue of breathing underwater:

“Most of my scenes are underwater. Some are not. So much of it, because we’re talking, and shooting underwater is a lot of ways impractical because you’re limited to what you can do with sets. It’s more about shooting them dry for wet, and then the effects do certain things to give the water feel.

But we aren’t doing the scenes underwater, but we are in harnesses and on wires. There is movement. It’s not like we’re all sitting around pretending were underwater like this [stands up still], we’re swimming around, we’re moving. So that should be really beautiful.”

We’ve glimpsed an idea of what “Aquaman” will look like in the “Justice League” trailers, though it’s not clear if Wan is making further changes to the visual style that Snyder is employing for those scenes.

“Aquaman” hits cinemas on December 21st 2018.

Doctor Omega

Filming Has Wrapped On “Aquaman”

filming-has-wrapped-on-aquaman-696x464.jpg

Filming has officially wrapped on the “Aquaman” film starring Jason Momoa and Amber Heard who both took to their Instagram accounts to make the announcement.

Shot on Queensland’s Gold Coast in Australia with extensive filming accomplished at Village Roadshow Studios, where both “Thor: Ragnarok” and “Kong: Skull Island” were also filmed recently, additional filming also took place in Newfoundland, Sicily and Tunisia.

James Wan helms the film from a script by Will Beall, Geoff Johns and James Wan. Peter Safran, Zack Snyder, Deborah Snyder, Rob Cowan, Jon Berg and Geoff Johns will serve as executive producers.

“Aquaman” is slated to hit cinemas on December 21st 2018.

Doctor Omega

Momoa Talks “Aquaman” Scale, Scope & Weaponry

momoa-talks-aquaman-scale-scope-weaponry-696x464.jpg

A bunch of artists working on “Justice League” will likely be shifting gears shortly after and getting to work on James Wan’s live-action “Aquaman” film which has already wrapped filming. Actor Jason Momoa, who plays Aquaman in the DC Universe films, recently spoke with ComicBook.com and said the immense scale of the solo film will surprise people:

“In the story, we’re going to see a couple different younger versions of me. And even before I was born, so you’ll know where my mother came from, Atlantis. We’ve got to establish seven different kingdoms and the threat. Surpassing Justice League, this moment in time is his call to become king. The only thing that can save Atlantis is me fighting my own brother.

There’s a big battle, and there’s an epic [fight]. It’s also a big road movie, because we travel all over the world. It’s got that Star Wars quality of gigantic ships and guys riding sharks. It’s going to be this whole world you’ve never seen before. You’re going to see him start as this guy who probably rides bikes, works on cars. You get to see him this one way as kind of a dirty, dark, drunkard, and then turn into this regal king.”

Momoa also set the record straight about the quindent he sports in the film, a multi-prong weapon that’s definitely NOT the character’s signature trident from the comics:

“I didn’t call it a trident. It’s a quindent. We don’t call it that in the movie and when you watch Aquaman you’re going to see him go for the trident, so everyone’s just got to stay tuned for a hot minute. He’s not the king yet. He looks to Mera and he goes ‘I need to borrow something. I need you to do me a favor’ so that’s when she gives him the equipment.”

We’ll get our first look at what to expect regarding Aquaman’s underwater world when he shows up in “Justice League” along with several members of the “Aquaman” cast including actors like Amber Heard, Patrick Wilson and Willem Dafoe.

“Justice League” opens next Friday, “Aquaman” is due for a late 2018 release.

Doctor Omega

First Official Photo From “Aquaman”

One year out from the release of James Wan’s “Aquaman” and Warner Bros. Pictures has released the first official photo from the film with Jason Momoa as the titular underwater hero seemingly walking around a submarine or boat shirtless.

first-official-photo-from-aquaman.jpg

Will Beall, Geoff Johns and Wan penned the script for the film in which we get his backstory including how his parents met and what happened to them, the little boy being raised and finding his powers, and him never being accepted on either side (by Atlanteans or humans).

Hardening up, he becomes reluctant to be king and uncertain what to do with these powers he has. The film also stars Amber Heard as his wife Mera, Willem Dafoe as Nuidis Vulko, Temuera Morrison as Tom Curry, Dolph Lundgren as Nereus, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Black Manta, Ludi Lin as Murk, Patrick Wilson as Orm/Ocean Master, Academy Award winner Nicole Kidman as Atlanna and Michael Beach as Jesse Kane.

“Aquaman” opens in December next year.

Doctor Omega

Details: The sole DC Comics major film title hitting screens in 2018, “Aquaman” also marks the first film in a new direction for Warners and their comic book movies – throttling back on an interconnected universe in favour of focusing on stronger standalone affairs such as the initiative’s one true breakout critical and commercial success this year – “Wonder Woman”.

It’s also a great choice to go solo with – Momoa’s casting is widely liked and an underwater superhero is something we’ve genuinely never really seen on screen before in a major tentpole picture. They also have Wan’s stellar pedigree, an excellent supporting cast, and serious potential to take some risks with the storytelling. The question is will they? Let’s hope so.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
throttling back on an interconnected universe in favour of focusing on stronger standalone affairs such as the initiative’s one true breakout critical and commercial success this year – “Wonder Woman”.
While I like the idea of less focus on the interconnectedness of these movies, it seems to me that Warners keep taking the wrong message away from successful movies. Wonder Woman wasn't successful because it was standalone. It was successful because it had a coherent and interesting story to tell, and told that story with great visuals. They seemed to have the same issue with past movies. Batman v. Superman wasn't poorly received because it wasn't funny, it was because it didn't tell a coherent story. Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't a success because it had a good soundtrack and bright colours, and adding those things to Suicide Squad didn't make up for the lack of a clear story.

Doctor Omega

It looks as though Jason Momoa’s Aquaman character in his upcoming James Wan-directed solo movie will be potentially getting a comics accurate costume. According to The Aquaman Shrine, they recently attended a Warner Bros. licensing event and saw a costume for the movie “exactly” like the look in the comics today.

dc-quick-news-wonder-aquaman-nightwing-more-696x464.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“Aquaman” To Change Up Nereus Backstory?

aquaman-to-change-up-nereus-backstory-696x464.jpg

Even though filming wrapped months ago, there’s still nearly a year to go before James Wan’s “Aquaman” hits cinemas. Recently a rumor about the first trailer was shot down by Wan, and another has risen up – albeit this one tied to one of the project’s cast members.

In a new interview with the Las Vegas Review Journal (via Aquaman Shrine), actor Dolph Lundgren briefly spoke about his role of King Nereus in the film and seemingly let slip that the film includes a BIG change of one element of the comic’s canon. Lundgren says:

“It is good to be king. Basically, I try to keep the peace down there along with Amber Heard, who plays my daughter. She’s trying to convince me to join the right side. Then you have Nicole Kidman as Aquaman’s mother. We’re trying to avoid war between the surface dwells and the people of Atlantis.”

In the comics, Nereus was part of an exiled group of Atlanteans known as the Xebels, and was the head of their military faction. As tradition dictated, he was set to marry the king’s royal daughter Mera after her father had passed. Mera, of course, fell for Aquaman/Arthur Curry after being sent on a mission to kill him, leading Nereus to plan a coup to take the throne of Atlantis with the help of Orm the Ocean Master.

That’s a very different take from what Lundgren describes, Nereus no longer being Mera’s betrothed but her father. Patrick Wilson’s Orm is said to the film’s main antagonist so it could well be that some of the original comic’s Nereus storyline is incorporated into his character. Nicole Kidman, Willem Dafore, Temuera Morrison and Yahya Abdul-Mateen also star in the film which opens in December.

Doctor Omega

Wan Explains Lack Of An “Aquaman” Trailer

wan-explains-lack-of-an-aquaman-trailer-696x464.jpg

Though fans online were hoping something would premiere at WonderCon this past weekend, sadly nothing from Warner Bros. Pictures and DC Films’ “Aquaman” was shown.

Asked why not, the film’s director James Wan took to Twitter to explain why there has been no trailer as of yet. He also set out to debunk some recent rumours regarding the production:

“Hey friends, I usually do my best to avoid internet noises (especially fabricated distractions) but a teaser-trailer going out this weekend was never in the books — despite what some claim. It’s not because of anyone or any nefarious reason holding it back — IT’S ME. I am simply not ready yet to share.

This movie is filled to the gills with VFX, and the process is as slow and laborious as a sea-slug! Yes, even shots for the trailers take forever to do, and I refuse to put out anything that might be construed as subpar. I know it seems like nothing much is brewing above the surface, but I can assure you, we’re working nonstop under the waves. (Ps: And yes, I plan to use oceanic puns/references every chance I get).”

With “Aquaman” not due out until just before Christmas, a first teaser could be at least a few months away. This year’s San Diego Comic Con will no doubt be venue for some sort of trailer or footage to come out, the only question is if we’ll get a tease before that point.

Additional photography is reportedly underway with ComicBook.com saying that actor Dolph Lundgren posted an Instagram post, which is seemingly now gone, indicating he’s back filming his role as King Nereus. Lundgren has just begun work on the “Creed” sequel so his schedule must be somewhat tight at the moment.

Doctor Omega

Momoa Talks “Aquaman” vs. “League” Difference

aquaman-film-wont-use-giant-air-bubbles-696x464.jpg

A few days ago, Warner Bros. Pictures unveiled the first look at James Wan’s “Aquaman” at CinemaCon and while much of the footage was still pre-viz, the crowd reportedly were quite impressed by what they saw.

Jason Momoa reprises the role following his turn in it last year in “Justice League,” at speaking with MTV at the convention this week he talked about how making “Aquaman” was an entirely different experience than ‘League’:

“Justice League was like college. I’m not really sure what Aquaman was, it’s just all on my shoulders. I had a great time. I think in Justice League, you had five other characters around you suffering equally the same, so it was kind of fun to endure that. And then, you know, it got me ready to do my solo movie which was challenging and tough and hard and super satisfying.”

Descriptions of the footage say Atlantis looks like “Los Angeles from Blade Runner, but underwater” and the scale of the film is so much bigger than all of the other DC universe films combined with a sprawling adventure tone. “Aquaman” opens in December with the first trailer likely to be either with “Ocean’s 8” in early June, or more likely at Comic-Con in mid-late July.