Review Arc of Infinity (1983)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0000000.jpg c97cb3ad4489e8c7e354dfa76490dd7c5ff978b9_hq.jpg

Your thoughts on this story....

On Gallifrey, someone on the high council is perpetrating a treasonous act - transmitting the Doctor's bio-extract from the space/time matrix to an anti-matter being. On Earth, two English lads spend their last night in Amsterdam sleeping in a crypt where they're attacked by an alien creature under the same anti-matter being's control.

On to the next story....

SNAKEDANCE....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/snakedance-1983.5305/

Back to the previous story....

TIME-FLIGHT

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/time-flight-1982.3711/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
In all I have read, this story seems to constantly be regarded as a bit of a turkey - and I can't see why.

It seems entertaining enough to me, although the Time Lords continue to be eroded in their WAR GAMES awesomeness.

Peter Cushing was supposed to be up for Borusa, but JNT apparently vetoed it in favour of Leonard Sachs, who had trouble remembering his lines.

Imagine the continuity fun that could have been had with Borusa having the same face as the movie Doctor.

Silly JNT. He really lost perspective sometimes.

Peter Davison has moaned about the coincidence level of Tegan's return, but I always assumed it was the Mara somehow manipulating cosmic events to get her back, just in time for SNAKEDANCE. Then maybe the Black Guardian is up to mischief here too.

Yes, the Ergon is rubbish, but the rest of the story seems fine to me.

And Saward etc seem to moan about the pointlessness of overseas locations, but I liked seeing the show getting away from the UK once in a while; thus adding a little realism to the show, considering that blue box can go anywhere.

So yes, in my opinion, not the bland dud that these episode guide book writers seem determined to make it out to be.

Or maybe it is me that has lost perspective due to rose-tinted nostalgia - and it really is a load of old rubbish?

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Just watched this again this evening, very enjoyable.
Leonard Sachs was awful as The President, I remember him from " the good old days" a BBC variety show mimicking Victorian music hall, he was good in that, but not really an actor. JNT had a habit of employing " not really actors" to Dr Who.
Nevertheless I thought it was a good episode. Plenty of interesting concepts, if vaguely conceived, such as The Ergon, " one of Omega's less successful experiments in psychosynthesis" whatever that means.
I've been thinking, is ANYTHING in NuWho better than this?. Erm.....no!
Not sure if The Castellan in this is a regeneration of Spandrell from Deadly Assassin.....probably not.
One of Davison's best performances.