Review Are You Afraid of the Dark (2019)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
00001.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie......

A film adaptation of the Nickelodeon horror series “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” for Paramount Pictures.

The anthology series ran on Nickelodeon between 1992 and 1996 and followed a group of teenagers who called themselves the Midnight Society and would meet weekly at a secret location in the woods to tell a scary story.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

“IT” Scribe To Pen “Are You Afraid of the Dark” Film

it-scribe-to-pen-are-you-afraid-of-the-dark-film-696x464.jpg

Gary Dauberman (“IT,” “Annabelle: Creation”) has been set to write and produce a film adaptation of the 1990s Nickelodeon anthology series “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” for Paramount Players.

The series involved standalone stories in each episode framed by a campfire involving a group of teens who called themselves the Midnight Society. The tales ranged from modern fairy tales to vampire and alien-themed tales.

The show was initially a Canadian series that got picked up by Nickelodeon and aired as part of its Saturday night block. Dauberman says the plan is to “honor the darker, scarier tone of the show” which was groundbreaking for Nickelodeon at the time.

Last edited:

PF4Eva

Member: Rank 3
You've never heard of Are You Afraid of the Dark? :emoji_astonished: That's a classic, dude! :emoji_grinning:

This is exciting. One of the all-time greatest Nick shows.

Doctor Omega

“Afraid of the Dark” Sticks To Original Stories

Gary Dauberman, the co-writer of “IT,” is also working on the upcoming horror tale “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” for Paramount Pictures and based on Nickelodeon’s iconic 90s horror series of the same name.

The original Canadian anthology series, which ran from 1992-1996, followed a group of teenagers called ‘The Midnight Society’ who would gather around a campfire at the beginning of each episode to tell a scary story ranging from abandoned houses to vampires and killer clowns:

Speaking with Slashfilm this week, Dauberman revealed will not be directly adapting any episodes from the series but instead will feature a completely new original story told by the Midnight Society.

“It is a completely original story I came up with, but it still has the Midnight Society and it still has the campfire, It’s still a story being told. That show is so important to me. I didn’t want to age it down too much because for it’s time, it had some really disturbing episodes and some really dark episodes.

Not every story the Midnight Society told ended with happily ever after or a person learning their lesson and it will never happen again. I really embraced that side of things and I think it’s been a long time. I think fear is healthy for kids. I don’t think we have to always sand down the edges of things and that’s something I really wanted to do with Are You Afraid of the Dark.

I think it is scary and I think kids will be scared watching it at times, and also they’ll laugh at times. I think it’s got a great message. I think it’s got a great heart to it but it is still scary. I think that’s great. I think it’s going to open it up to a wider audience.”

Dauberman and Matt Kaplan are producing the film which is slated to be released on October 11th 2019.

Doctor Omega

DJ Caruso Could Direct “Afraid of the Dark”

dj-caruso-could-direct-afraid-of-the-dark-696x464.jpg

“xXx: The Return of Xander Cage” and “Disturbia” helmer D.J. Caruso is in talks to direct the film adaptation of the Nickelodeon horror series “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” for Paramount Pictures.

The anthology series ran on Nickelodeon between 1992 and 1996 and followed a group of teenagers who called themselves the Midnight Society and would meet weekly at a secret location in the woods to tell a scary story.

“IT” writer Gary Dauberman was recently hired to write the script while Dauberman and Matt Kaplan are producing.

Doctor Omega

MwLGtv7.jpg

D.J. Caruso helms this film adaptation of the Canadian-American horror fantasy-themed anthology television series. “IT” and “The Nun” writer Gary Dauberman penned the script though specifics of the story are under wraps. not to be confused with the Guillermo del Toro-produced “Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark” which is also coming this year.