Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
What if Avatar 2 flops dramatically? What if it is a box office disaster?

What can he do with 3, 4 and 5 then?

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I'd like to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the original AVATAR film when it was released, I'd like to say that I'm excited about the next three dozen AVATAR sequels that are currently in production, I'd like to say that I'm looking forward to seeing them all in 3D in the cinema...

But I'd be lying if I did. The first AVATAR film left me cold - from what little I remember of it - and I can't say that I'm particularly bothered about whether or not I end up watching any of the follow-ups.

Doctor Omega

UPDATE: April 6th 2017:

Sigourney Weaver, who played Dr. Grace Augustine in the original Avatar and has a new role in the sequels, confirmed that Avatar 2 starts shooting this fall.

Weaver excitedly said at a screening of The Assignment on Monday night that the cast and crew behind Avatar 2 have begun pre-production and will begin shooting in the fall.

“We’re starting! We’re starting training, and we’re starting — hmm, I probably can’t say anything. We will be actually shooting it by the fall.”

Cameron announced that he plans four sequels to the original Avatar, and has finished the script for Avatar 5 in January. Cameron had stated that the sequels were written as “separate stories that have an overall arc inclusive of the first film,” clarifying that the movies would have conclusions instead of cliffhangers.

Cameron had also previously noted that in addition to Weaver, stars Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana were also set to return for the sequel, which was set for a 2018 release date. But fans were disappointed to hear that the film would not be arriving in 2018.

However, with Weaver’s confirmation, we now have concrete evidence that Avatar 2 is making progress, and can be expected to hit theaters in two or three years (maybe). Cameron was recently announced to be prepping a Mirage 4KLH RGB laser projection system for Avatar 2, which is capable of handling 3D, 4K resolution at 120 frames per second.

As important as the visuals are to the film — indeed it was the film’s ingenious use of motion capture and 3D formats that have caused it to go down in history, not its character or plot — Weaver assured fans to not discount the scripts. She told the Hollywood Reporter:

“I’m telling you, these scripts are so amazing, I’m not worried about [disappointing fans] at all. Am I worried about how we’re going to bring them to life? Yes, because they’re so ambitious. They’re so worth it. They’re well worth waiting for. I’m not worried about that at all. We’re trying to get it done as quickly as possible.”

ant-mac

As I've previously mentioned, I didn't really care for the original and am not interested in seeing any of the upcoming sequels. However, I might change my mind one of these days...

Perhaps I'll go and see AVATAR 47 when it comes out. :emoji_wink:

ant-mac

Good news! It's currently scheduled for release in 2692. Although with the way James Cameron works it may be delayed by a few decades.
Shit! So soon?

No time to waste... I'd better get to work coming up with an excuse for why I'll be too busy to go and see it.

Doctor Omega

Cliff Curtis Joins The “Avatar” Sequels

download.jpg

“Fear the Walking Dead” star Cliff Curtis has joined the cast of all four upcoming sequels to James Cameron’s sci-fi epic “Avatar”.

The New Zealand-born actor will play Tonowari, the leader of the reef people clan called The Metkayina. The new instalments will take place partly underwater.

The production will reportedly work Curtis’ shooting schedule around his commitments to ‘Fear’. Curtis joins returning cast that includes Zoe Saldana, Sam Worthington and Sigourney Weaver.

Production begins at Wellington’s Stone Street Studios next year. The sequels will be released in December 2020, 2021, 2024 and 2025.

Doctor Omega

“Avatar” Sequels Get Another Familiar Face

avatar-sequels-get-another-familiar-face-696x464.jpg

Joel David Moore (“Bones,” “Drone”) has officially signed on to reprise his role of scientist Norm Spellman in the upcoming “Avatar” sequels at 20th Century Fox.

The four new instalments in the James Cameron-directed franchise kick off shooting later in the year ahead of releases in December 2020, 2021, 2024 & 2025.

Moore joins fellow returnees Zoe Saldana, Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver and Stephen Lang who are joined by the recently announced Cliff Curtis. A good portion of at least the second film reportedly takes place underwater.

Doctor Omega

“Avatar” Sequel Shoot Sets Sept 25th Start Date

avatar-sequel-shoot-sets-sept-25th-start-date-696x464.jpg

Speaking at CineEurope in Barcelona this week, producer Jon Landau has confirmed that the four “Avatar” sequels are officially set to start filming on September 25th this year.

Years in the planning, pre-production for the four film shoot got underway in New Zealand in April. The story takes place exclusively on the planet Pandora, no Earth scenes, and Landau says:

“At the heart of any movie are the characters. One of the strengths of great scripts are always the universal and relatable themes… There’s no more relatable theme than family. At the center of each of our four movies will be the Sully family.

Each sequel will play as a stand-alone movie. Each movie’s story will come to its own conclusion… However, when looked at as a whole, the journey across all four movies will create an even larger connected epic saga for audiences around the world.”

Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Joel David Moore, Stephen Lang, Sigourney Weaver, Cliff Curtis and Oona Chaplin star in the films which James Cameron will direct.

The four films open December 18th 2020, December 17th 2021, December 20th 2024 and December 19th 2025.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Each sequel will play as a stand-alone movie. Each movie’s story will come to its own conclusion… However, when looked at as a whole, the journey across all four movies will create an even larger connected epic saga for audiences around the world.
That's a promising statement if true. Too many movies these days exist more to set up the next one than to tell a story.

Doctor Omega

Weaver On Why There’s Four “Avatar” Sequels

weaver-on-why-theres-four-avatar-sequels-696x464.jpg

Originally planned as two sequels before ultimately expanding to four, James Cameron’s “Avatar” follow-ups are slated to begin filming shortly.

Questions have been asked as to why in the world they’re doing four more films. Speaking with EW this week, actress Sigourney Weaver explains that there’s a good reason for it and it ties to their important social messages:

“There’s a very good reason why it turned out to be four sequels. Having read all four of them, I think they’re absolutely extraordinary and worth the wait. These films are very much about the peril of this beautiful planet, and [James Cameron] is continuing the same themes of greed and callousness of the corporations and plight of the indigenous people. At this point after a long and very satisfying career – I can’t believe it’s been forty years, but anyway – I’m very excited to be able to work on these four stories. I can really, really appreciate it.”

Pre-production has been underway in New Zealand since April, with filming to officially begin on September 25th. The second and third films will shoot simultaneously, with the fourth and fifth to be done shortly after:

“It’s the most ambitious project by far I’ve ever been involved in, and the most moving, the most astonishing, beautiful. I think all of us who get to be a part of it is just in awe when we see the artwork. It’s just incredible to be living now when we can bring this kind of film experience to the public. Because I think as much as ‘Avatar’ changed what people want in a film experience, this goes a hundred times farther.”

Other returnees include Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Joel David Moore and Stephen Lang, while Cliff Curtis and Oona Chaplin are joining them. The films begin a rollout with the first sequel arriving on December 18th 2020.

Doctor Omega

Weta Digital’s Work On “Avatar” Sequels Begins

weta-digitals-work-on-avatar-sequels-begins-696x464.jpg

New Zealand-based visual effects studio Weta Digital has confirmed they have begun work on the four sequels to James Cameron’s “Avatar” according to Variety

The company, who most recently did the acclaimed CG realisation work on “War for the Planet of the Apes,” will be handling the animation and visual effects for the heavily CG animated feature which is aiming for more photorealism than the first film. Cameron himself says in a statement:

“What Joe Letteri and Weta Digital bring to these stories is impossible to quantify. Since we made ‘Avatar,’ Weta continued to prove themselves as doing the best CG animation, the most human, the most alive, the most photorealistic effects in the world. And of course, that now means I can push them to take it even further.”

Weta Digital executive producer David Conley says that they’ve already been doing preliminary work on the project for a number of years so far. Oscar winning VFX artist Joe Letteri adds:

“Avatar is the ideal type of film for us. Jim’s vision for the world of Pandora was always so much bigger than what we created for the first film. Helping him expand the language of cinema through new narratives set in such an expansive universe is the type of opportunity that rarely comes along twice. Projects like this allow everyone involved to push themselves to do their best work.”

Filming the “Avatar” sequels is slated to start filming mid-August with the first of the four movies scheduled for a December 2020 release.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Quaritch Is The Villain For All Five “Avatar” Films

quaritch-is-the-villain-for-all-five-avatar-films-696x464.jpg

Late yesterday came the news that actor Matt Gerald would be reprising his role of Corporal Lyle Wainfleet in the upcoming sequels to James Cameron’s “Avatar”.

It was a surprise considering the character died at the end of the first film, however he marks at least the third seemingly dead character returning for these follow-up efforts.

For example, we already knew the first film’s primary villain, Stephen Lang’s Colonel Miles Quaritch, will return. Today, Cameron has revealed to Empire that Quaritch will serve as the main villain across all four of the sequels as well:

“The interesting conceit of the ‘Avatar’ sequels is it’s pretty much the same characters. There are new characters and a lot of new settings and creatures, so I’m taking characters you know and putting them in unfamiliar places and moving them on this greater journey.

But it’s not a whole bunch of new characters every time. There’s not a new villain every time, which is interesting. Same guy. Same motherf–ker through all four movies. He is so good and he just gets better. I know Stephen Lang is gonna knock this out of the park.”

Sigourney Weaver’s dead Dr. Grace Augustine has already been confirmed to be returning, though no word if Michelle Rodriguez’s Trudy Chacon also coming back. Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Joel David Moore, Cliff Curtis and Oona Chaplin also star in the sequels which are about to begin filming ahead of releases in 2020, 2021, 2024 and 2025.

Doctor Omega

Cameron Upset Brolin Turned Down “Avatar 2”?

cameron-upset-brolin-turned-down-avatar-2-696x464.jpg

There’s little question that James Cameron’s “Avatar” sequels will be amongst the biggest productions ever committed to film, but that doesn’t mean everyone wants to be a part of them.

Case in point is actor Josh Brolin. As part of a new interview with Esquire, Brolin revealed that Cameron offered him a role in the four “Avatar” sequels and the actor turned him down. Things could’ve easily stopped there, but Brolin says rejection didn’t sit well with Cameron:

“If I don’t want to do ‘Avatar,’ I’m not going to do ‘Avatar.’ James Cameron’s f—ing calling me this name and that name. Whatever. If James Cameron came to me and said, ‘Hey, man, why’d you say that?’ I’d go, ‘Because it happened.'”

Cameron is famous for his behind-the-scenes work ethic which sometimes pushes and ruffles some actor’s feathers, but he gets things done. Brolin though is hardly short of work and already super busy this year with “Deadpool 2” and “Avengers” commitments.

Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang and Matt Gerald are set to return for the “Avatar” sequels which will film for much of the rest of the year.

Doctor Omega

“Avatar” Sequels In “Full-Tilt” Production

new-dates-for-avatar-2-kingsman-2-marvel-696x464.jpg

Four years on since the announcement that multiple “Avatar” sequels were on the way, filmmaker James Cameron has now confirmed that the sci films are in ‘full-tilt production’.

Speaking with EW ahead of the release of “Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D,” Cameron was asked about the current status of the projects:

“Oh, we’re in production. We’re in full-tilt production. We’re in what we call ‘scouting,’ which basically is shooting for me. I’m on the stage all day long during the scouting process, because there are no sets or locations, other than in the virtual world, so I do all my location-scouting with a troop of actors that go through the virtual sets, and give me a sense of the scale and position, lighting, that sort of thing. Then, I’m in rehearsals with my principal cast and I start with them at the end of September.

Sam Worthington, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, and Zoe Saldana are all returning for the follow-ups which Cameron says he aims to make so technically advanced and undeniably astonishing that most won’t be able to forget it. He tells Digital Spy:

“I’ve hired the best artists and technicians in the world to design these films. There will be such a richness of imagery that I think people just won’t be able to imagine it in advance, but it will just seem right when they finally see it.

It’s a little bit daunting, but it’s very exciting too. I sort of made a decision for myself that everything I need to say artistically as a filmmaker, I’m going to say across those four films, and I wrote them accordingly.”

The first of those four sequels is scheduled for release on December 18th 2020, with the subsequent three arriving December 17th 2021, December 20th 2024, and December 19th 2025.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
It’s a little bit daunting, but it’s very exciting too. I sort of made a decision for myself that everything I need to say artistically as a filmmaker, I’m going to say across those four films, and I wrote them accordingly.”
So we should all lower our expectations (let's face it, the first one had nothing to say about anything the whole world hadn't already heard) because the first one was about JC's ego and CGI and he really hasn't ever been an "artistic" filmmaker anyway....
egotistic maybe..... and I'll give him props for Aliens and Terminator 2 but Titanic felt like an overblown homage to his ego (albeit a pretty one, which can be put down to set and costume design) and Avatar didn't really seem to serve any purpose at all except self-promotion and proving he can hire wizards at CGI... oh yeah... and the whole "bashing of mankind" for all our weaknesses, most especially in serving our own needs without consideration to or of anything else.... hey....

He's already said everything he needs to!

:emoji_kiss::emoji_dancer:

Doctor Omega

Cameron: “Wonder Woman” Is A Step Backwards

cameron-wonder-woman-is-a-step-backwards-696x464.jpg

James Cameron has drawn a social media backlash today following comments about Patty Jenkins’ recent “Wonder Woman” film.

Cameron, who has famously written some of Hollywood’s strongest female protagonists in times when there were few, tells The Guardian he wasn’t majorly impressed:

“All of the self-congratulatory back-patting Hollywood’s been doing over Wonder Woman has been so misguided. She’s an objectified icon, and it’s just male Hollywood doing the same old thing! I’m not saying I didn’t like the movie but, to me, it’s a step backwards.

Sarah Connor was not a beauty icon. She was strong, she was troubled, she was a terrible mother, and she earned the respect of the audience through pure grit. And to me, [the benefit of characters like Sarah] is so obvious. I mean, half the audience is female.”

The five times married Cameron has understandably drawn ire on social media for his ‘mansplaining’ comments with Jenkins now issuing a response via Twitter:

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/900917648015405062/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.darkhorizons.com%2Fcameron-wonder-woman-is-a-step-backwards%2F