Review Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
“Blade Runner 2049” Runs 163 Mins?

blade-runner-2049-runs-163-mins-696x464.jpg

Sony Pictures’ Russian site has indicated that Denis Villeneuve’s “Blade Runner 2049” is set to clock in at a whopping two hours and forty-three minutes (163 minutes).

Even by blockbuster standards, that’s long. In recent times the only major wide releases of comparable length were Martin Scorsese’s “Silence” (161 minutes), Quentin Tarantino’s “The Hateful Eight” (168 minutes), and Chris Nolan’s “Interstellar” and Peter Jackson’s “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey” (169 minutes each).

None of those though had the advantage that is Roger Deakins’ cinematography. The sequel is skipping the currently underway film festival season and will debut at the same time for everyone with a day-and-date release around much of the globe on October 6th.

The exact runtime has not been confirmed by Warner Brothers at this point.

Doctor Omega

“Blade Runner 2049” First Prequel Short

blade-runner-2049-first-prequel-short-696x464.jpg

Thirty years take place between the 2019-set events in Ridley Scott’s original “Blade Runner,” and those in Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming sequel “Blade Runner 2049”.

When planning the film, a timeline of events was drawn up with notations of key events that shaped the history of the film’s world between the movies. Villeneuve then got three artists to come up with short stories dramatising three of those key events.

Today they’ve released the first of these, the short film ‘Nexus Dawn’. Set in 2036, the short focuses on Jared Leto’s blind character Niander Wallace addressing a tribunal (headed by Benedict Wong) seeking repeal of the order outlawing Replicant technology.

Doctor Omega

New “Blade Runner 2049” Extended TV Spot

new-blade-runner-2049-extended-tv-spot-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Pictures has premiered a new extended TV spot for Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming and highly anticipated sequel “Blade Runner 2049”.

Boasting bits of new footage, the clip offers a look at the story set thirty years after the events of the first film. A new blade runner, LAPD Officer K (Ryan Gosling), unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos.

Harrison Ford, Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, Robin Wright, Mackenzie Davis, Carla Juri, Lennie James, with Dave Bautista, Edward James Olmos and Jared Leto co-star in the film which opens October 6th.

Doctor Omega

Leto Blinded Himself For “Blade Runner 2049”

leto-blinded-himself-for-blade-runner-2049-696x464.jpg

Jared Leto is so method that he rendered himself blind (temporarily) during the filming of Denis Villeneuve’s “Blade Runner 2049”.

In the upcoming sci-fi sequel, Leto plays the villain of the piece – the blind Niander Wallace. According to the Wall Street Journal, Leto took the role so seriously he spent the shoot wearing contact lenses that made him blind. Villeneuve explained how Leto’s first camera test went down:

“We all heard stories about Jared, how he transforms into the characters, but even this didn’t prepare me for what was to come. He could not see at all. He was walking with an assistant, very slowly. It was like seeing Jesus walking into a temple. Everybody became super silent, and there was a kind of sacred moment. Everyone was in awe. It was so beautiful and powerful – I was moved to tears.”

Leto himself says that he was less method in this role than some of his others he’s done. “Blade Runner 2049,” which clocks in at a whopping 160 minutes, opens in cinemas on October 6th.

Doctor Omega

First Clip: “Blade Runner 2049”

first-clip-blade-runner-2049-696x464.jpg

Warner Bros. Pictures has premiered the first clip from Denis Villeneuve’s highly-anticipated sci-fi sequel “Blade Runner 2049”.

Offering a dark and grim tone, the clip sees Ryan Gosling’s LAPD officer K finding a child labor camp in the middle of a dystopian wasteland with Lennie James as the sweatshop’s overseer.

Set thirty years after the events of the 1982 original, the action follows a new blade runner who unearths a long-buried secret that has the potential to plunge what’s left of society into chaos.

Harrison Ford, Mackenzie Davis, Carla Juri, Robin Wright, Dave Bautista and Jared Leto also star in the film which opens October 6th.

Doctor Omega

“Blade Runner” Gets An Animated Prequel Short

blade-runner-gets-an-animated-prequel-short.jpg

Japanese anime filmmaker Shinichiro Watanabe, best known for directing the acclaimed hit anime series “Cowboy Bebop” and “Samurai Champloo,” is doing an animated prequel short film for the upcoming “Blade Runner 2049”.

Titled Blade Runner Black Out 2022, the anime will take place three years after the time of the original “Blade Runner” and will involve a large power outage on the west coast of the United States.

Watanabe is writing the script in addition to directing, while Cygames Pictures is producing the animation. Flying Lotus is composing the music, and the likes of Kenichirou Matsuda, Ichigo Aoba, and Makoto Furukawa will lend their voices.

A short video showing off some animation tests and character designs from the animated short can be seen below.

Doctor Omega

No “Blade Runner 2049” Director’s Cut Coming

venice-director-on-blade-runner-2049-absence-696x464.jpg

Earlier this year Patty Jenkins confirmed there would be no alternate or director’s cut of “Wonder Woman” coming because there was no need – the film was so well planned that little was left on the cutting room floor.

Now, director Denis Villeneuve has admitted much the same about his upcoming sci-fi sequel “Blade Runner 2049,” saying that the substantial 2 hour and 32 minute long R-rated theatrical cut will be the definitive vision. He tells Europe Plus (via ScreenRant):

“The thing is, the movie you’re going to see is the director’s cut. There will be no further … maybe there’ll be a ‘studio version’ [laughs], maybe a producer version, but not a director’s version. That’s my director’s cut. So I don’t think there will be further versions. If there are alternate versions, they’re not from me.”

Villeneuve reportedly had nearly complete artistic freedom over the project which used real sets where possible and opted for practical over CG where it could.

Doctor Omega

Gosling Praises “Blade Runner 2049” Script

gosling-praises-blade-runner-2049-script-696x464.jpg

Seeing as he’s the main character who is in the shadow of Harrison Ford in a film that follows up a cinematic masterpiece, it’s understandable that actor Ryan Gosling was initially hesitant about signing on for “Blade Runner 2049”.

Talking about the film recently with Malaysia’s At the Movies & BFM Radio, Gosling said all his concern was alleviated by the script which was penned by original “Blade Runner” scribe Hampton Fancher and rising acclaimed scribe Michael Green (“Logan,” “American Gods”):

“I was fortunate enough to have gotten to meet with Ridley and talk to him about it first while he was writing it [Blade Runner 2049 script]. So I knew that it was something he not only approved off but was actively involved in.

And Hampton Fancher, the original writer was also working on it with him so that was a good sign and then they sent it to Harrison when they were finished. He loved the script, so all my fears were gone, because who am I to say to them that this is not how the film should go? You know, they all felt that this is where the story would’ve led and I felt very excited to be a part of it.”

Denis Villeneuve helms the follow-up to Ridley Scott’s legendary 1982 sci-fi work

Doctor Omega

First “Blade Runner 2049” Reactions Are Ecstatic

first-blade-runner-2049-reactions-are-ecstatic-696x464.jpg

Denis Villeneuve’s “Blade Runner 2049” had its first screenings for press the other day, and while full reviews are not yet allowed – first social media reactions are now out.

Here’s a sampling of the reactions from the journalists and critics in attendance, and the word is incredible with labels of it being a sci-fi masterpiece and one that could even be an awards contender. Certainly, the response is overwhelmingly positive:

“Blade Runner 2049 is stunning visually. Some truly inspired moments. Not sure as a story it 100% works? Lower those expectations a tad. Villeneuve has some truly masterful sequences, deserves best director nod consideration. And no joke Harrison Ford is fantastic, best supporting actor nod is not a reach. Deakins, Prod Design and Visual Effects? Major, major player.” – Gregory Ellwood, The Playlist

“#BladeRunner2049 was one of the most mind-blowing films I’ve seen. It’s breathtaking and transportive. Denis Villeneuve has a masterpiece.” – Jenna Busch, Coming Soon

“BLADE RUNNER 2049 is sci-fi masterpiece; the kind of deep-cut genre film we don’t see anymore. Visually mindblowing, absolutely fantastic… I think this Blade Runner is better than the original, and also proves Denis Villeneuve is the most exciting director working right now.” – Erik Davis, Fandango

“.@BladeRunner 2049 is phenomenal. Visually mind-blowing sci-fi w/ noir roots shining through in a tight, twisty mystery. Best of 2017 so far” – Eric Eisenberg, Cinema Blend

“Early word on BLADE RUNNER 2049 is very strong. Doubt Denis Villeneuve at your own peril, people.” – Scott Wampler, Birth Movies Death

“Good news! BLADE RUNNER 2049 is a terrific continuation and expansion of the orig. Wasn’t hoping for much, ended up LOVING it. (Even Leto!).” – Jordan Hoffman, The Guardian

“I’ve seen Blade Runner 2049 and it was great. Visually stunning, emotionally engaging in a way I didn’t expect. And that’s all I can say” – Jim Vejvoda, IGN

“I saw #BladeRunner2049 and it is BREATHTAKING. It’s an impressive follow-up, preserving mysteries, adding new ones, expanding the universe.” – William Bibbiani, Crave Online

“#BladeRunner2049 is a rare sequel that actually improves on the original. Great Performances & Visually Breathtaking. Villeneuve nails it.” – Scott Menzel, We Live Entertainment

“Everyone bow down to Denis Villeneuve. He’s done the impossible and delivered a huge home run with ‘Blade Runner 2049’. Loved it. You do not have to have seen the original ‘Blade Runner’ to watch ‘Blade Runner 2049’. But it will def make the film better if you have.” – Steve Weintraub, Collider

“Our own @JimmytotheO calls @bladerunner “Astonishing… More than just a visual wonder, it’s a groundbreaking science fiction masterpiece.” – JoBlo.com

Doctor Omega

Full “Blade Runner 2049” Reviews Are Gushing

full-blade-runner-2049-reviews-are-gushing-696x464.jpg

Often there’s a divide between first social media reaction to a film and full reviews. That early reaction is often from junket press or festival attendees, groups that don’t often review and tend to be more effusive than the regular critics, which makes the actual reviews something of a sobering experience that puts expectations in check.

That’s not the case with Denis Villeneuve’s “Blade Runner 2049”. Full reviews are now popping up all over the place for the film and the verdict is astonishing, with many five-star reviews and calls that the film is even better than the original iconic 1982 masterpiece.

With 42 reviews counted on Rotten Tomatoes so far, the movie stands at a 97% approval rating, and more astonishingly has an 8.8/10 average rating. On Metacritic it has a less ecstatic but no less impressive 85/100. Both scores easily put this square amongst the best film of the year territory.

Ticket sales are beginning to reflect that too with online ticketing service Fandango reporting today that the film, one week out from release, is ‘significantly’ outselling the likes of “Mad Max: Fury Road,” “Gravity” and “The Martian” at the same point in their sales cycles.

Initial tracking for the film a few weeks ago had it at a $40 million opening, though that estimate will likely head upwards. Here’s a sampling of the reviews:

“A visually breathtaking, long-fuse action movie whose unconventional thrills could be described as many things – from tantalizing to tedious – but never ‘artificially intelligent.'” – Peter Debruge, Variety

“Super-stylish and deeply human – even with androids and holograms around – the spectacular follow-up takes the detective story of the first film and turns it into a grand mythology of identity, memory, creation and revolution.” – Brian Truitt , USA Today

“Even when its emotions risk running as cool as its palette, 2049 reaches for, and finds, something remarkable: the elevation of mainstream moviemaking to high art. A-” – Leah Greenblatt, Entertainment Weekly

“It just has to be experienced on the biggest screen possible. Blade Runner 2049 is a narcotic spectacle of eerie and pitiless vastness, by turns satirical, tragic and romantic.” – Pete Bradshaw, The Guardian

“At the helm and in complete command of his movie with dark, ambient magic, Denis Villeneuve crafts a mysterious noir thriller the pushes existential boundaries, and nails the essence of the “Blade Runner” spirit.” – Rodrigo Perez, The Playlist

“It organically expands and grows what came before. It’s a deep, rich, smart film that’s visually awesome and full of great sci-fi concepts, and one that was well worth the 35-year wait.” – Scott Collura, IGN

“Forty years after his death, people still argue over which Elvis, the slim young Adonis or the portly middle aged crooner, was better. Forty years from now, people may be having that debate about these Blade Runners” – Matthew Norman, London Evening Standard

“It’s hard to make a case against reboots and long-delayed sequels when an exception to the rule like Blade Runner 2049 comes along. No cynical cash-grab or by-the-numbers repeat, this sequel manages to go deeper on the ideas from the first film.” – Alonso Duralde, The Wrap

“It may seem premature to ascribe the word ‘masterpiece’ to a legacyquel of a heady sci-fi head-scratcher from the ’80s, but its audacity and formal perfection – not to mention its thematic weight – leave no other alternative.” – Clint Worthington, Consequence of Sound

“Like The Godfather Part II, it’s a sequel to a very celebrated film which may actually be better than the original. 5/5” – Geoffrey Macnab, The Independent

“The brilliance of Blade Runner 2049 is that it makes the questions worth asking, positioning them in a menacing universe that’s nevertheless a joy to revisit.” – Eric Kohn, Indiewire

“Villeneuve’s dazzling sequel is on its own march to screen legend. Gosling and Ford are double dynamite in a mesmerizing mindbender that asks new questions meant to tantalize, provoke and keep us up nights. Would you have it any other way? 3.5/4” – Pete Travers, Rolling Stone

“Blade Runner 2049” opens in cinemas on October 6th.

Doctor Omega

Photo: Ford Punches Gosling In “Blade Runner”

photo-ford-punches-gosling-in-blade-runner-2049-696x464.jpg

One of the most talked about anecdotes regarding the production of Denis Villeneuve’s “Blade Runner 2049” was a scene in which Harrison Ford punched Ryan Gosling.

The actors did multiple takes of a fight scene, and on one take one of the fake blows from Ford accidentally connected with Gosling’s face. This led to numerous stories the pair have been telling on the talk show circuit.

Now, a photo has been making the social media rounds over the weekend which seemingly shows the immediate aftermath of the punch in question. Twitter user ‘GolazoDan’ has apparently gotten the photo which seems almost too good to be true, but if it is Photoshop it’s an excellent job. Check it out below.

“Blade Runner 2049” is riding a wave of stellar reviews and arrives in theaters this coming Friday.

Doctor Omega

“Blade Runner 2049” Quickly Dies At Box-Office

blade-runner-2049-quickly-dies-at-box-office-696x464.jpg

Despite stellar critical reviews, strong advance ticket sales and plenty of buzz, Denis Villeneuve’s “Blade Runner 2049” is set to open to just $31.5 million in North America this weekend.

That’s considerably down on the $45-50 million estimates the film was originally tracking for. It began Friday when the film’s opening day haul of $12.7 million disappointed. By Saturday it dropped a further 11% to $11.4 million, and Sunday’s projected total is just $7.4 million.

The long runtime limiting the number of showings each day, combined with far less attendance by younger moviegoers and women than anticipated has seen it fail to meet expectations by a considerable margin.

The film earned a further $50 million overseas where it also opened in most markets this past week. Costing $150 million to make, the film has to earn $400 million worldwide to make profit – that goal seems highly unlikely at this point.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
It appears that the sequel is in excellent company...

The original wasn't overly popular in the beginning either.

Doctor Omega

Warners Exec On “Blade Runner 2049” Disinterest

warners-talks-blade-runner-2049-disinterest-696x464.jpg

Though it topped the box-office this weekend, the decidedly underwhelming result for Denis Villeneuve’s “Blade Runner 2049” has led to much discussion.

Playing on over 4,000 screens domestically and scoring rave reviews with critics, the $150 million budget film still only managed $32.7 million in ticket sales – that’s around one-third less than estimates of $45 million which tracking suggested going into the weekend.

It’s a soft enough start that Warner Bros. domestic distribution president Jeff Goldstein admits even the studio is surprised by what happened, saying the film particularly underperformed in mid-sized and smaller markets. He added to Reuters:

“We did well in the major and high-profile markets. Alcon [Entertainment] and Denis made an amazing movie. The audience for it was narrower than we anticipated.”

Part of the blame is going to the film’s near three-hour running time, part in the film’s lack of appeal to women and younger audiences – both of which stayed away in droves, but various columnists and insiders are wondering if there are some larger issues at play.

Though beloved by film nerds everywhere, the original “Blade Runner” is no “Star Wars” or “Star Trek” in terms of popularity and was a famous flop at the time. It was, and always has been, more a critical darling and artistic influencer than a popular favoite.

Warners tried to push it as a blockbuster, but frustratingly kept things so enigmatic and mysterious that they appear to have overestimated audience interest in the property. Social media reaction has praised the style and visuals, but there’s been a notable backlash against the film’s treatment of its female characters and others with misgivings about the story.

One growing concern though is what this means for other intelligent, adult sci-fi films that take risks over the next few years. Will less of them be greenlit in favour of more formulaic fare?

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
My son and I just got back from seeing this, and I rather enjoyed it. He loved it, but I don't know that I can go that far, not without a few more viewings. It is long, but it doesn't feel that long. The story is pretty solid, the acting is really good, and it's stunning to look at. It's just a shame that Ryan Gossling can't act to save his life.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
My son and I just got back from seeing this, and I rather enjoyed it. He loved it, but I don't know that I can go that far, not without a few more viewings. It is long, but it doesn't feel that long. The story is pretty solid, the acting is really good, and it's stunning to look at. It's just a shame that Ryan Gossling can't act to save his life.
Well, if his acting seems a little "robotic", I hear there's a reason for that. :emoji_wink:

Mind you, I really liked him in DRIVE.

And as a huge fan of all versions of the original BLADE RUNNER, it would take something pretty dramatic to put me off this one.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
Well, if his acting seems a little "robotic", I hear there's a reason for that. :emoji_wink:
I shouldn't be that way. He played the part accordingly. And while I haven't seen many of his films (I would like to see Drive), what I have seen of his work leaves much to be desired, at least for me. I will be big about it and give him a fair shake.

And as a huge fan of all versions of the original BLADE RUNNER, it would take something pretty dramatic to put me off this one.
That's why I was apprehensive about this film. I remember seeing the original as a kid, and it really resonated with me. Over the years, seeing the various "This is the real version!" cuts of the film, and liking all of them, I couldn't understand how someone could properly expand upon that, especially 35 years later. But this is a real treat. It's one of the most beautiful movies I have seen in a long time. As one reviewer said, if the cinematographer doesn't get the Oscar for this film, it will be a crime.

And a testament to how mature my son is. Like the original, this movie is really driven by exposition. Yes, you have some action sequences, but this isn't an action movie. You have to sit through a lot of talking and pay attention to the film. And at the end, he exclaimed that he loved the movie. For a 14-year-old to sit and enjoy a film like this makes me have at least some hope for the next generation.

That, or I'm just a great dad. I'll take either.