Review BLAKE'S 7: THE WEB - Episode 05

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
Yikes it's been nearly a month. Well I've managed to square away Star Cops so I think 1 or 2 Blakes a day should get me right up to date, as the saying goes.
Opening scenes were very creepy, looked like a few Rovers from The Prisoner hanging around and then a creepy head in a jar, good start.
Cally is being creepy, the shot of her advancing on Vila reminds me of Sarah Jane when she is possessed by Eldrad (Who must live) in the episode The Hand of Fear. I think it must be a different lens but it works really well. Having said that she takes such a swing for her clobbering of Vila I am surprised he didn't see it coming, I guess she was mesmerising him.
We learn in this episode that Paul Darrow can't seem to run naturally, his arms whirling around, very amusing.
As for my Jenna outfit watch, not so keen on this one looks a bit like a curtain.

I really liked the crews reaction to finding Cally is the saboteur. Including saying Blake should never have brought her on board. In many shows the crew become great mates very early but here they still distrust each other which is more in keeping with their nature.

Back on our mysterious destination we get to 2 individuals who look like they are wearing similar outfits to the crew in Underworld (Doctor Who), but wrapped in cling film. They also look very grey. More shots of the head in the jar, I'm not sure on the shrivelled body it is creepy especially when you think about how it came about, but from some shots it looks amusing.

Avon's manipulation of the self repair system is extremely clever. It's nice to both demonstrate his skill but also how he is continuing to learn about the ship.

The web sequence was pretty tense and I think Blake's decision made sense and wasn't too drawn out push the ship further and further, once he knew it wasn't going to work he stopped. It's a nice demonstration of how he may have planned in his revolution, don't pick a fight you can't win.

By the way, is it just me, or do the Decimas - who I think look positively brilliant - look like they’re the result of a pairing between Mister Sin and a Zygon?
Yes they do remind me strongly of Zygons and they do sound like Mister Sin when they attack.

It's been done before where a sci fi show introduces 2 races fighting for survival often with the most human race being the one portrayed as the good guys and then sometime subverting that and having they as the true monsters.
This episode instead makes it shades of grey. Saymon created both the Decimas and his avatars Geela and Navaro. From his perspectives the Decimas are an experiment gone wrong that needs clearing up. If it was a virus there probably would be no moral conflict.
But we see little bits of the Decimas, the appeal to Blake for help, the caring for their dead and what look like tears from the one bent over the corpse. I agree with Blake that they shouldn't just be destroyed.
However once they break into the lab they go mental. They don't just attack Geela and Navaro but then take great delight kicking around their remains. They continue on to attack Saymon thus wiping out the compounds residents.
It's probably a more realistic way of how it would turn out and definitely separates the show from say Doctor Who where one side would be mega evil or the Doctor would find a way to avoid wiping out one side or the other.

Overall I think this episode does a good job showing how differently they will approach stories. Taking situations that may even seem familiar to other shows. There will be no clean outcomes here, there are not true bad guys and good guys.

8 compounds who's doors should shut behind you, out of 10.

On a picky note, getting Blake to try and clench his hand won't tell you about the tendons on the back of his hand. They extend your fingers.

Last edited: