Review CATWEAZLE: "CASTLE SABURAC" - Episode 02

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
A generally enjoyable episode although I fear the premise of the show is already starting to run a bit thin.
I did - and do - worry that Catweazle's constant and abject terror and shrieks at every new thing he encounters could become old very quickly. I hope, in this regard, that the character starts to calm down a bit eventually and become a little more adapted to his new surroundings.
It can be annoying, but given that his initial terror in the beginning of the episode appeared to be a plane I think we can forgive him this time. Someone from that era seeing something that large flying through the sky? I would imagine the only logical explanation to his mind would be a dragon or something like that.
the scene of Carrot bathing Catweazle is so non pc
That was my thought too. The idea of a young boy in the presence of a naked man would immediately give the wrong impression these days.
Carrot treats Catweazle like a child, and the fact he bathes the old man shows how little concerned he is. It's like bathing your mentally-challenged uncle, more annoying and depressing than comedic. The fact Carrot treats Catweazle like he's talking to a younger kid is a bit humiliating for this old gentleman, and I wish they would stop showing that.
I agree and I guess it's partly due to the era of the show. Catweazle (and any other non-technological people) were considered less intelligent, and it's difficult to watch now.
After all the initial excitement he realises the hopelessness of his situation. He wishes to hide from men's eyes. We sympathize with him, not laugh at him.
This, I suspect, is going to be my main challenge with this show. There are a lot of deep themes that could be explored with a man so far out of time, but due to the nature of children's television in the 70's I doubt they'll even be considered.
Random thought: Cat was not afraid to jump into a river last week (though admittedly he had planned to fly over it.) He emerged from under the water, not looking panicked at all. Now this week, he’s afraid to step into a tub lest he drown?
I don't think that's too unreasonable. In the first episode Catweazle was trying to escape the Normans and a) he thought he was going to fly away, and b) even if he didn't jumping into the water was probably his only option. In this episode, the idea of intentionally stepping into a tub of water for no reason (bathing wasn't exactly common in his time).
The episode had a nice pace to it, with the majority being Carrot and Catweazle trying to evade Sam. Carrot's farm must be heaven for hide and seek with all those abandoned buildings. Now they would need to be boarded up and sign posted and I kind of thought the 1st floor was going to collapse when Catweazle went upstairs.
It was mostly fun for an episode but I hope it's not much of an ongoing thing. Once Sam left the abandoned building they were in it was pretty silly for Carrot to send Catweazle back out while Sam was still in sight. If they'd waited another 2 minutes they'd have cut out 5 minutes of story.

Overall, not a bad episode. 6 out of 10.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
CASTLE SABURAC is another enjoyable episode in the CATWEAZLE TV series. The lead actors certainly seem to be coming to grips with their respective characters and the TV series as a whole seems to be settling down into its natural rhythm. Catweazle now has a base of his own, somewhere to call home. So hopefully, this should give him some sense of security and independence with which to face future challenges.

As a child, I know I certainly would've loved to have had my own private cubby-hole like that. And I absolutely adore the opening credits and theme music. I think they're absolutely perfect. :emoji_relaxed:

4/5.