Review CATWEAZLE: "CASTLE SABURAC" - Episode 02

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
nintchdbpict000323008575-e1494510097553.jpg MV5BY2QyODEwNjQtMjM4OC00ZDg1LWI2NzQtY2M1ZDYyNDBhOTFkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg1MDYzNzI@._V1_.jpg

Catweazle runs into the farmhouse after being spooked by a welding torch and Carrot hides him away from his father, farmhand Sam ( Neil McCarthy) and the housekeeper.
Carrot gives him a bath to remove the smell of him but the housekeeper bursts in on them. Catweazle finds a place to live, an abandoned army water tank in the woods. A large metal structure accessed by a ladder, like a mini fort christened Castle Saburac.

Full Cast List....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0537638/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

On to the next episode....

CURSE OF RAPKYN

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/catweazle-curse-of-rapkyn-episode-03.4642/

Back to the previous episode....

THE SUN IN A BOTTLE

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/this-friday-on-catweazle-s01e01-the-sun-in-a-bottle.4706/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

So, on to this second episode...

The format continues to settle down.

I did - and do - worry that Catweazle's constant and abject terror and shrieks at every new thing he encounters could become old very quickly. I hope, in this regard, that the character starts to calm down a bit eventually and become a little more adapted to his new surroundings. The ending of this episode gives hope that this will be the case, with Catweazle finding a base to operate from. (Twenty six episodes of being hidden in the barn or hiding under various tables or rooms in the house could have got wearing.)

The cast continues to charm.

I did wonder if the character of Sam was going to be the running joke of being the only other person to constantly see Catweazle, with nobody believing him and Sam doubting his own sanity as the weeks went on, but this episode had Sam realising that Catweazle was very real. Not sure where they will go with this story thread.

So, still very much a "settling into the format" episode. As such, it does the job efficiently enough of giving Catweazle a "Castle" to call his new home from home, so I will give this one a solid....

Grade B

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Theda is a bit of a nothing character, but as housekeeper or home help, I'm disappointed this is her only episode.
I am quite surprised to hear that myself too. The way she seemed an established part of daily life on the farm gave me the impression that she would be, at least, an occasional regular and a foil to the Sam character.

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
I haven't found a working link, so if you have one, let me know. Meanwhile, I'l continue my observations of the pilot.

CATWEAZLE’S GREATEST WRITING FLAW AND WHY THE SHOW IS NO LONGER WHAT YOU THINK WHAT IT IS​

OK, OK, I admit this is a clickbait title, an exaggeration. Especially considering that some of you have already touched the subject at least marginally, so it’s not like nobody saw it coming. But still I have a theory I’d like to take to its last consequences and once you’ve understood it, you’ll realize it makes a hell lot of sense.

Let’s start with the show’s basic premise and, from that, extrapolate to what we can assume was the writers’ intention. I’m going to quote some of your comments while I do that.

Back then, on American TV we have what are now labeled “the gimmick shows” with beings like witches, genies, and Martians using their magic powers every week while keeping their identities secret. (…) Plus we have the whole “fish out of water” routine as Catweazle gasps in amazement at our modern technology. And thus is the concept set up in the pilot episode.
Took the words right out of my mouth, at least as far as the ichthyological part is concerned. I’m no ichthyologist, but “fish out of water” is literally the first expression that came to my mind as I thought of describing this show. The concept tries to obtain humor and drama from the fact a person is a stranger in a strange land. Say, we have an Indian trying to understand White man’s society where he now finds himself. Or a cowboy among Indians. Or an Indian in London. Or a Londoner in India. Or an Indian (native) in India (India).

In this scenario, the “fish” can be from a more technologically advanced society, but is often from a more primitive one. They don’t understand fundamental things even when a kid does, and that’s funny, of course, because people who look stupid are funny and we should make fun of them. When the “fish” is advanced, he’ll learn some valuable lesson from the primitive ones and will become more humble. But if the “fish” is more of a noble savage, then he’ll get to teach them a valuable moral lesson and everybody else will be humbled.

OK, back to the show. The “fish out of the water” concept applies. And notice that Catweazle comes to “our” time by coming out of the water. That can’t be a coincidence, and the writers wouldn’t use such a powerful symbolism at random.

The writers must’ve thought how an ancient man who believe in magic would fare in the modern, vibrant, technological society of the 1970s. So much so that even a kid who doesn’t look particularly brilliant (but conveniently knows a lot about history that happened one millennium ago) knows that Catweazle is being stupid. Look, CAtweazle thinks a tractor is a dangerous beast. Ha, ha! That’s stupid. (In fact when I think of 1066, I think of early humans hunting mammoths and Neanderthals, so yes that’s very primitive.) Catweazle doesn’t understand electricity and can’t even pronounce the word. Funny! Catweazle is under the assumption a mini thermonuclear reaction is happening inside a light bulb, therefore it must contain the power of a star. Hilarious!

Carrot, who here is just a surrogate for the target audience, knows that Catweazle is wrong and is talking nonsense. After all, the kid (Carrot the character and the kid watching the show) has learned in school how electricity works, why combustion engine vehicles move and how light bulbs are built. And he probably has asked his father about that stuff, so he knows that he can take satisfaction from the fact he knows way more than an old man like Catweazle.

But in order to create this “fish out of water” situation, Catweazle had to be brought to present time. Perhaps someone suggested a time machine, but then that would require actual rational thinking and lots of explanations that would shift the focus of the show, so that idea was discarded from the writing room. The answer is simple; it’s that simple trick that always help a writer when he has no idea how to explain something. MAGIC!

Magic is great because you don’t have to explain or understand anything. Magic happens out of the blue and there we have the plot contrivance we wanted. And at some point the writers thought it would be fun if Catweazle were magical himself so their case would be water tight: magic happens because Catweazle is a wizard, though a rather incompetent one.

However, that’s when the writers’ premise falls apart. If Catweazle had come to the 20th century because of a scientist’s time machine or, you know, alien science, then he could make the stupid assumption he wanted about modern technology and he would still be the laughing stock school kids watching the show think he is. No matter what,. He would always be wrong.

However, that’s not what happened. Well, before I continue, I must point out that Catweazle, the show, happens in an alternate universe whose natural laws work very differently from those in our universe. There is MAGIC, it’s a real thing, it is used by people, and a thousand years ago it was mastered quite well by some people at least. So, not only there is magic, but also, Catweazle is the source, or conduit, of such magic.

So, here how the story should be told. Catweazle is running from his enemies, the “Normals,” and unintentionally goes to the future. It should be noted that magic is not an easy thing to master and there are other wizards that are much more proficient than Catweazle, have more money and resources to improve their skills, or have the support from a member of the Nobility, probably someone from the “Normals.” But still, Catweazle does very impressive things.

When he gets to the future, he realizes that the people have forgotten all botu magic, though it surrounds them. The problem is that they think there’s a mundane explanation for every magic feat he sees, and that fills him with concern. Those future people have no idea what they are dealing with and, be honest, how would you react if you traveled to the future and saw children playing with nuclear artifacts in blissful ignorance? Wouldn’t that drive you mad as well?

So, Catweazle immediately understands how dangerous electrickery is, and he knows that tractors may turn against their owners any moment if they inadvertently perverts the spell that made them alive in the first place. But what really scares him to death is the fact that at any moment all little suns kept in bottles may go critic and blow up this entire planet just because these future people are children playing with fire.

OK, wait a minute, I know how electricity, and light bulbs, and internal combustion engines, and telephones, and radios work, and it’s not magic. It’s science. Oh, yeah? You see miracles all around you every day, but because a teacher or a scientist makes up an explanation that would don’t really understand you just start accepting the supernatural that easily? Without questioning? OK, now you’re going to tell me you believe Earth is a ball and the moon landings are not fake, right? You’re a lost case.

In case you needed further convincing, I say this: your society may have produced telephones, cars, and incandescent light bulbs. But can you time travel? NO! Can you fly just by saying a few words? NO! Can you do a Jedi mind trick and possibly give a kid permanent brain damage to a boy who’s not so smart to begin with? NO! Then, shut up and listen to Catweazle, your new leader. The ONLY man in the world who sees things for what they are: magical and dangerous.

Of course, there was that final scene in episode one in which Catweazle tried to light a kerosene lamp by flipping a latch, which was hilarious because it made poor Catweazle look as intelligent as my cat, who taps on a door knob or always pushes doors to open them (even when they have to be pulled instead) and simply can’t figure out what went wrong. It would have been a stroke of genius on eht part of the writing team if Catweazle had actually managed to light the kerosene lamp by means of his magic of association and analogy; that would really blow everyone’s minds. Instead, they went with the “logical” and “grounded” approach. However, we can still argue that Catweazle is not very competent as a magician, he doesn’t understand how magic has evolved 900 years later, and is probably just making some basic mistake.

But YOU shouldn’t make the mistake of laughing at Catweazle’s reactions to technology because there’s no such thing. In this alternate reality, IT’S ALL MAGIC! And basically humanity is doomed.

Catweazle is a much more evolved human from a distant past, now trying to bring humanity back to the pinnacle of enlightenment. Unfortunately man became stupid after so many centuries, so Catweazle's task is a very daunting one. These images illustrate his challenge:

taylor = catweazle.jpg

George = catweazle.jpg

Last edited:

Mad-Pac

Without wishing to steal M-P's thunder, I am going to press on with viewing and reviewing the CATWEAZLE episodes using the existent threads. Just to allow people to go at their own pace. Any duplicate threads can ultimately be merged together at a later date, but this at least allows people to have the option of going through the show at a speed of their own choice.
Oh, I miss the time when we would tackle a new show everybody else hadn't already seen it and review it. It used to be a journey of discovery and first reactions. Now it seems that we're eating reheated leftovers all the time.

Anyway, I see that all episodes have been reviewed already, so there are entries for each and every episode. We might just as well skip to the last one! Now, seriously, the idea of having a new thread was meant as a suggestion that everybody could watch the episode for the first time on that Friday and comment on it on the weekend. It was a way of simulating what a group of friends would do if they joined, ordered a pizza and some beers and watched the show together.

So, things worked much better when everyone was at the same pace. Sometimes it was not possible, but people would try to keep up with the group.

Mad-Pac

This episode was a big game of hide and seek. I'm surprised Catweazle at times wouldn't show his face and say to everybody "peekaboo" and then go back into hiding. Well, I admit I would've loved this episode, not in 1971 because I was 8 and had already outgrown hide-and-seek, but I certainly would've enjoyed it four or five years earlier. Do kids still play hide and seek? We did a lot back in the day.

Carrot treats Catweazle like a child, and the fact he bathes the old man shows how little concerned he is. It's like bathing your mentally-challenged uncle, more annoying and depressing than comedic. The fact Carrot treats Catweazle like he's talking to a younger kid is a bit humiliating for this old gentleman, and I wish they would stop showing that.

To add insult to injury, Catweazle seems to have the behavior of a wild animal or a feral cat. He even draws a circle on the floor to feel protected, and if you know anything about cats, you may know that some cats like to be trapped in the "stupid circle," that is, the drawing of a circle on the floor that makes them believe it's an actual physical barrier. And Catweazle shows other behaviors you']d expect from a pet: he hates water and bathing like an old dog you found in the streets, his clothes stink (and if you ask me I'd say we've seen too much of his scrawny old body half naked), and when he looks for places to live, he does no better than a raccoon hiding under your floor, over your ceiling or in an abandoned water tank. That is because his idea of hygiene is non-existing.

But in reality, Catweazle is the only one who understand what's going on. He knows there's magic everywhere and the people he finds are not prepared to deal with it. Let's hope his frog familiar helps his take control of this world, because that's what it needs.

Oh, and about the sound track. Lots and lots of passages with flutes, oboes and other woodwind instruments. This cue used to indicate the scene was playful and you were supposed to find it heartwarming and funny. The problem is that the show overdoes it right from the opening credits, which is filled with such sound bits that belong more to a cartoon. Oh, well, the opening is a cartoon, so that figures. But the soundtrack should emphasize the scene not hit on your head with how the writers think you should react to it.

Catweazle's man-child behavior is getting old rather quickly. I wonder what Catweazle is going to get spooked by next. A blender? a lawn mower? Oh, I know! A cucumber on the floor. That always scares the hell out of cats.

Episode 2 gets 4 hiding places that must reek of feces and small dead animals, so thank God film doesn't transmit smells.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

I just watched this....

It is an excellent 13 minute documentary wherein Geoffrey Bayldon and Robin Davies revisit the farm and reminisce about the show and their memories of making it, with interview clips of Richard Carpenter interspersed. (All three have now left us, sadly.)

It is spoiler free.

I can only assume it was an extra on one of the dvd releases....

Doctor Omega

Watching that short documentary, I get the impression that Touchwood was a bit of an egotistical nightmare on the set; a kind of slippery version of Shatner. He certainly sounded like a camera hog.

I also had a moment where I thought Geoffrey Bayldon was going to pull out a dead and dried Touchwood out of the pocket of his old costume. :emoji_grin:

I also found it interesting that Bayldon says he turned down the role of DOCTOR WHO, then took CATWEAZLE. I never knew that. Shades of Ron Moody, who turned down the role, then went on to play a wizard in INTO THE LABYRINTH.

Last edited:

Cloister56

Member: Rank 3
Nice to see this episode picks up the next day. I did wonder how cold it would get in the little hen house but it looks like nice weather.
Some odd scenes in this episode like Carrot bathing a naked Catweazle. It's nice of him to do that but from the look of the bath afterwards I think he is going to be sent to his room with no supper again.
The episode had a nice pace to it, with the majority being Carrot and Catweazle trying to evade Sam. Carrot's farm must be heaven for hide and seek with all those abandoned buildings. Now they would need to be boarded up and sign posted and I kind of thought the 1st floor was going to collapse when Catweazle went upstairs.
I wonder if this is going to be the blueprint going forward, Sam knows Catweazles about and tries to catch him. This leads to numerous compromising encounters with his boss Mr Bennett who probably thinks Sam's going mad.
Catweazle continues to be amazed and at times scared by the modern world. I think this will begin to settle down. He already has one more piece of the electrickery puzzle as he knows the sun in a bottle must be in the lamp to work. It's just a few steps from this to him mastering turbines and electricity generators.
I like his little castle, that would be an amazing discovery as a kid. I'm not sure what exactly it was originally intended for, water storage for the army? From the sounds of it, Castle Saburac has a real damp problem and it must get boiling in there during the summer, Catweazle is going to need another bath really quickly.

A decent second episode, it all flew by quickly.
7 days before Castle Saburac becomes Castle Cholera, out of 10.

Doctor Omega

I like his little castle, that would be an amazing discovery as a kid.

I was glad that gave him a base of his own.

As I was saying, hiding somewhere in the farmhouse or the barn and on the point of discovery every week would have gotten old very quickly on a weekly basis, so this was a nice, sensible set up in the format. :emoji_alien:

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
Thanks for posting this episode. I had no luck finding it on YouTube or elsewhere. One YouTube address had series 1 listed, but when I tried to play episode 2, I got a message saying it had been withdrawn. But your post played fine.

This episode picks up right where the prior one left off. Cat spent the night in a chicken coop but came back to Carrot’s house to learn more about “electricalticity” (or however he pronounced it.) Carrot persuades him to take a bath to get rid of the smell people keep noticing. When the maid walks in while Cat is emerging from the tub, covered only by the bathmat, he uses his magic not just to make her forget, but to render him invisible to her in the future. So when he has to retrieve his robe from the clothesline where she had hung it out to dry, she doesn’t see him but Sam does. With Carrot and the maid both denying Cat’s existence, Dad thinks Sam has had a nip too much of cider.

Cat finds an old abandoned house nearby that looks like a mini-castle to him. Sam sees him go in, but is unable to find him once inside. The cleverest gag of the episode shows CW on the floor above him in plain sight while Sam is facing another direction. “It’s over my head,” Sam explains, not realizing the truth of his statement. Cat now at least has a place to stay, so perhaps he won’t be breaking any more of Carrot’s windows for now.

So, let’s see. So far, Carrot has had to pay from his allowance for the window Catweazle broke. And Sam has been accused of drinking on the job even though he’s perfectly sane and sober. Not seeing any great value in keeping the wizard around just yet.

Random thought: Cat was not afraid to jump into a river last week (though admittedly he had planned to fly over it.) He emerged from under the water, not looking panicked at all. Now this week, he’s afraid to step into a tub lest he drown?

This was a filler episode, for the most part – just helping Catweazle to settle into his new surroundings. I’ll give this one 5 flush chains, which definitely do not cause the same reaction as tugging the chain on a light switch.

Doctor Omega

Cat was not afraid to jump into a river last week (though admittedly he had planned to fly over it.) He emerged from under the water, not looking panicked at all. Now this week, he’s afraid to step into a tub lest he drown?

I never notice things like that until they are pointed out, but once they have been, it's stands out!

Good point, Brimfin! :emoji_alien:

Doctor Omega

Thanks for posting this episode. I had no luck finding it on YouTube or elsewhere. One YouTube address had series 1 listed, but when I tried to play episode 2, I got a message saying it had been withdrawn. But your post played fine.

Luckily the entire series is on there, so all should be fine. :emoji_alien: