Review CATWEAZLE: CURSE OF RAPKYN - Episode 03

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
nintchdbpict000323008575-e1494510097553.jpg MV5BY2I5ZDEzOGEtMmEzMi00OWQ0LWI2ODItNGViYmRhN2QxYzVhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg1MDYzNzI@._V1_.jpg

Your thoughts on this episode....

Carrot wonders if his father's financial troubles are a result of a curse on the farm, he and Catweazle go to local museum and find an old book that reveals a contemporary of Catweazle, named Rapkyn has indeed cursed the farm which was built on a witches coven meeting place. The hunt is on for hidden cursed stones.
With Peter Sallis

Full Cast List.....

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0537642/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

On to the next episode....

THE WITCHING HOUR

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/catweazle-the-witching-hour-episode-04.4899/

Back to the previous episode

CASTLE SABURAC

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/this-friday-on-catweazle-s01e02-castle-saburac-duck-halt.4744/

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Third episode - and the format of the series seems settled.

Catweazle and Carrott will get into scrapes and misadventures, but things will sort themselves out happily by the end of the episode.

Peter Sallis makes a welcome guest appearance as a museum curator, being.... well, Peter Sallis! I wonder what other famous faces are going to pop up in the episodes to follow?

Sam continues to be a dim-witted stooge. I think it fairly safe to predict that Sam is never going to have much of a storyline to himself at any point and is there just for comic value, but I could be proved wrong.

As soon as I saw the well near the end I guessed that Catweazle would end up plummeting down it with Carrott letting go of the rope. The fact that this happened twice was the only surprise! :emoji_alien:

So, we have a financial dilemma that sorts itself out, either by co-incidence or supernatural design.

The episode ends with Catweazle finding hope in the book, much in the same way that the Astronauts in the Planet of the Apes tv show pinned all their hopes on a computer disk from their crashed spaceship as being the key to getting them back home.

I was going to give this a C, due to a couple of predictable moments and the odd laboured scene, but decided that was a little harsh as the series is just beginning in earnest, so will retain the score from the last episode.....

Grade B

Last edited:

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
Peter Sallis was good in this, and I thought the well scene was funny.
" I can see no stone, but just little stars"
Sam will get an episode about him, an episode where Catweazle lands him in trouble with the law. As always Carpenter leaves it to our interpretation as to whether its all coincidence or magic that saves the day. Rapkyn buried these stones, so if cursed or not they would be worth a few bob to the British Museum, and as Hexwood farm was built on a witches meeting place ,hence the name, it all fits together well.
9/10

Last edited:

Mad-Pac

Member: Rank 5
OK, I know I've been suggested to use the existing episode thread, but let me make my case for a specific thread for this specific use.

1. It marks the official moment the Sages get to this point in the show.
  2. It promotes the discussion of this specific episode, not others.
  3. It discourages people from posting things ahead of time so all Sages have the same common experience.
  4. Each viewing experience is unique, so even if you have already seen the show, you're encouraged to write a new review, this time having the Sages in mind and your reactions you have right now in your current mood, and considering who your readers will be this time, who won't be the same of your old reviews.
  5. It starts with a brief synopsis of the story, just enough to suggest what's going on and raise the curiosity of the viewrs without giving away many key plot points or spoilers.
  6. It marks the fact it's Friday and Friday is the day of the week the Sages watch their old shows (even if they don't actually do that all the time in practical terms).
  7. It shows how the entire group is reacting to the show as it develops. If some people are still watching episode 2, while others are talking about ep 23, then we'll never get that feeling.
  8. It's the way it's always been done and Sages are usually old, like the titular character, and all about traditions.
  9. We get new, fresh reviews made especially for us right now. It's the same as having a tailor-made suit comparing to buying one in a discount store made following general patterns and which never really fits.
  10. The interactions we'll have as a result of the most updated reviews still freshly made will be part of our exchange experience.

Mad-Pac

Accidentally, I couldn’t get my speakers to work, so I watched the opening credits in mute mode. Oh, I missed that quirky theme and all cartoon bells and whistles they add to the intro. I guess I’ll be watching the intro in mute more often.

Are we honestly supposed to believe Mr. Bennet didn’t see the huge tortoise on Carrot’s lap, and that Carrot didn’t count on the possibility his father would remove the bag from the table and see his pet? I found that scene a bit ridiculous because when I eat with my parents and I try to feed the dog with food scraps from my plate my mother always sees it and complains, no matter how discreet I try to be. It felt like a forced way to introduce the idea Carrot has a familiar.

So, there’s still hope for Carrot. He’s beginning to realize magic is real and is facing the subject quite naturally, which just proves that magic is not a strange concept in this alternate reality.

Another clunky television moment of yesteryear’s shows: a character’s inner monologue is actually quite an outer monologue. Carrot, when researching about curses, enunciates each thought he has and when asks his tortoise what it thinks, he asks the question loud and clear to make sure the audience hears. It’s interesting to observe quality TV shows don’t use this artificial gimmick anymore.

Then the scene shifts to Catweazle and he’s also making a long speech to himself. OK, I guess I should just ignore that because it’s much likely be pretty much like this until the last episode, with characters loudly talking to themselves.

Catweazle has a magic book, which shows he’s no novice in terms of magic. But then shouldn’t Catweazle have been able to light up the kerosene lamp by flipping a latch? After all, magic should be able to accomplish something that simple. I mean, that should be easier to do than, say vanquish an ancient curse.

Catweazle and carrot visit a museum and the wizard goes because he wants to see old books. But in his case, these are books from the future, and pretty much everything in the museum is in his future. It’s the same as if we went to the year 3000 and got a hold of “ancient” books from 2300, 2561, 2829, etc… These would be far advanced books beyond our comprehension.

Do all libraries in England have centuries’ old books lying around on their bookshelves? I’m guessing in Britain news about the Industrial Revolution are classified as “current events.”

The interesting thing is that Catweazle even knows how to read. Considering the Guttenberg Bible, the first major book printed using mass-produced movable metal type in Europe, was printed in the 1450s, it’s extremely unlikely a peasant like Catweazle who only had shabby filthy rags to wear would not be illiterate like most of the population at the time.

Stupid Catweazle moments which show Catweazle has serious mental problems:

- Catweazle thinks a road sign painted SLOW is some sort of magic command and cars are some sort of wild boars. Ha, ha. That’s stupid.

- Catweazle and a kid stick out their tongue at each other, so we don’t forget this is a kids’ show. I bet kids had a good laugh at this scene back in 1950, I mean, 1970.

- Catweazle sees a deer head on the wall and hisses at it. Then, bewildered, tries to look around the wall to see where the rest of the animal is. OK, really? They didn’t hunt back in 1066? Hunters didn’t display animal heads back then? What could possibly explain Catweazle find that thing so strange. This is another example of the writers implying Catweazle has the intelligence of a cat. When my cat sees something interesting, like another cat, on my monitor, he looks behind it to find the rest of the cat.

- Catweazle can’t tell the difference between a mannequin and a human being. Probably in 1066 he thought statues were people as well, and people called him stupid even then.

- Catweazle has the habit of walking on four legs like an animal because yes, if you walk on four legs that will fool a frog… Sure…

- Catweazle is afraid of a statue.

- All in all, Catweazle looks and smells like a hobo and, well, he is one. He also looks like a person with mental problems and, considering his odd behavior, that’s more than just looks.

- Catweazle’s notions of hygiene haven’t changed. Castle Saburac is still filthy.

- Catweazle thinks a clock cuckoo is a real bird. Well, considering this ancient relic is from 1820, that’s the same if we came across a gadget from 2880! Still, he looks stupid by thinking a mechanical bird is real.

- Catweazle thinks there may be demons in the chimney. Are you going to tell me there weren’t chimneys back in 1066? Oh, well, I give up really!

- Hey, look, Catweazle found a way to get even filthier.

- Catweazle is afraid of going up, then he’s afraid of going down and yet he does all these things. His pretend cowardice is getting annoying.

Smart Catweazle moments:

- Catweazle learns all people are magicians, which they are, even if they don’t understand the magic they are using. But then you and I don’t really understand computers and we use them all the same.

- Catweazle knows the difference between a frog and a toad (even if he has difficulty telling mannequins from people).

- Catweazle shows incredible intuition and keep observation powers, which enable him to solve the family’s 800 quid problem. Whether it was a curse or not we don’t know, but when it comes to relics and lore, Catweazle is an expert and a genius.

Stupid Carrot moments:

- Carrot lets go of the lever while is moving towards the bottom of the well. This stupid moment wins the stupid trophy of the week.

- Then he does it again and doesn’t even realize he could’ve sent that old man to the hospital or the morgue. The Three Stooges did it better.

One thing I learned with Catweazle:

- The word ‘slow” has been written the same way for a thousand years and even a man from that era would be able to recognize it even today.

Grade:

After watching this episode, I don’t know if Catweazle is an idiot or a sage. And I feel, the writers had no idea either showing him, at times, like a superstitious fool with no ability to perceive the most elementary things in real life and, at other times, a wise old man in possession of countless secrets. This doubt could make a good story if both directions didn’t contradict one another so often. Due to the episode’s several inconsistencies, it gets 4 dusty old books.

Mad-Pac

Guys, are you going to stay here? You questioned if I would stay in this group, but what's the point if we're not even using the same thread, let alone interacting in discussions? Shouldn't you be posting on the Sages' thread? Or is it going to be a thing between you two only?

Mad-Pac

Yes, I thought Sallis was excellent, as always. One of the great things about shows like this were the very familiar faces that would suddenly pop up during an episode.
So the extra in the museum has a name, huh? Who the heck is Peter Sallis and why is he "familiar" and "excellent as always"? The extra seemed pretty nondescript to me and I'd have to watch the scene again to remember what he even looked like.

michaellevenson

Yes, I thought Sallis was excellent, as always. One of the great things about shows like this were the very familiar faces that would suddenly pop up during an episode.
I've never seen the Wallace and Gromitt films, but I did realise Sallis was Wallace.
Of course Clegg from Last Of the Summer Wine is his bravura role, and of course he appeared in The Ice Warriors. Also he was due to play Striker in the Davison story Enlightenment, which would have been interesting as I can't imagine Sallis as a cold eternal immoral baddie. No scrub that, ....The Eternals were amoral not immoral. Sallis had a recurring role in Carpenter's next show Ghosts of Motley Hall as Gudgin, the caretaker, the only one who could see some of the ghosts, particularly The White Lady, and wished he couldn't.

Last edited:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
I've never seen the Wallace and Gromitt films, but I did realise Sallis was Wallace.
Of course Clegg from Last Of the Summer Wine is his bravura role, and of course he appeared in The Ice Warriors. Also he was due to play Striker in the Davison story Enlightenment, which would have been interesting as I can't imagine Sallis as a cold eternal immoral baddie. No scrub that, ....The Eternals were amoral not immoral. Sallis had a recurring role in Carpenter's next show Ghosts of Motley Hall as Gudgin, the caretaker, the only one who could see some of the ghosts, particularly The White Lady, and wished he couldn't.
Yes, I thought he did well as Penley and Wallace, but I only ever caught a couple of episodes of him as Norman Clegg.

However, with any luck, I'll be seeing him in action again soon in DANGER MAN.

Doctor Omega

I always particularly remember Peter Sallis in TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA, meeting an untimely end....

And turns out he was in THE PERSUADERS too!

Last edited:

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
I had mixed feelings about this episode, although one set of feelings finally won over the other.

As it began, Carrot now had a pet turtle named Beelzebub which he called his familiar. Obviously, he’s being influenced by Catweazle already. Every proud father would like to brag that his son has a pet named after the Devil, right? His Dad complains that he’s been having a streak of bad luck lately and maybe the place is cursed. Now that he has a wizard for a friend, Carrot thinks a curse may be a real thing and goes to Cat for help. My initial reaction was that as a plot this was nonsense – there are no real curses. But I remembered what Mad-Pac said in his evaluation of the show’s premise. You have to pretend that this show is set in an alternate universe where magic is real. After all, CW clearly went to the future by magic; there was no science involved. And we’ve already seen him keep Carrot from talking about him, or the maid from seeing him by use of his magic knife.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I accept this kind of thing a lot more than I realized. I mean, I never had any qualms about enjoying BEWITCHED or I DREAM OF JEANNIE, whose respective premises were that witchcraft and genies were real. It was all in fun. Even in drama, I’ve been enjoying SUPERNATURAL for years. But they’ve come up with some truly ludicrous plotlines. I mean it’s one thing to have a premise that virtually all monsters of legend and myth are real. But they even trampled on Scripture one season, with a season-long arc about “God’s sister” who was some being of darkness. If God is the creator of the universe, how could he have a dark sister? If they’d led off with such a concept, I probably never would have watched it. But after it had been part of my viewing habits for over ten years, I was willing to look the other way on this plotline and a few others. Anyway, so for all intents and purposes, in the CATWEAZLE universe magic is real and so are curses.

That being said, there are a couple of weak points in the theory. One is that if the house had been cursed all along, why didn’t they notice it before? Any endeavor there should have been doomed to failure if the place was cursed. Second, Mr. Bennett mentioned that part of his problem was that he was overdrawn at the bank to the tune of 800 pounds. That’s no small sum even today, and would have been worth many times that amount back in 1970. That’s not a curse; that’s poor money management. Don’t spend more than you make, or borrow more than you know you can pay back.

Carrot goes to see Stuffy Gladstone, who works at the museum, to find out if there’s any record of a curse at his father’s homestead. Unfortunately, Cat follows him – unfortunate for the museum that is. Cat knocks down a display of a Norman soldier (apparently not damaging it, luckily), scares a group of schoolgirls with his pet frog (his familiar, from last week), and then tosses books around like garbage looking for one particular old book. As it turns out, the book he sought was propped over the top shelf, so there was no need for his to toss old, antique, valuable books from the top shelf onto the floor carelessly while Stuffy just meekly tells him to please stop doing that. One book turns out to have a broken binder from such bad treatment. CW steals the book he wants and runs off with it. Now, in Catweazle’s defense, I’ll note that the books had not been well cared for, as dust flew rampantly when CW was tossing the books around. Clearly, the museum had not been taking care of them very well either.

Carrot is honest enough to go try and retrieve the book from his friend the wizard, who doesn’t want to give it up because it contains secrets of magic written by Rapkyn another wizard and enemy of Cat. The book reveals that Rapkyn did indeed put a curse on the Bennet’s homestead. He hid two stones – one in the tower and one in the water. Now, does that mean their home has been around since the 11th century? Since CW knew who Rapkyn was, that only stands to reason. Well, I suppose it’s possible.

Anyway, after everybody else taking the pratfalls and getting into trouble in previous weeks, it’s Catweazle’s turn this week. He climbs up into the chimney (the tower referenced), gets the ladder pulled out from under him by Sam and then falls down into the hearth covered in soot. Of course, Carrot gets blamed for all the soot in the house. Later, Cat is dropped into the well not once, but twice – the second time after he shows Carrot the stone he found and Carrot lets go of the well handle to take a look.

But then something amazing happens. It turns out the stones with the eyes that Rapkyn used weren’t random. They came from a statue of a two-faced god (a name beginning with a C, but I think Stuffy had said he later became known as the well-known Janus). The statue had been lent to the museum by the British museum with only one face and the other face thought long lost. Catweazle actually helped to restore a lost art treasure. Stuffy is so grateful that he allows Cat to keep the book he stole – a fair exchange. The museum looks good, Stuffy looks good, Carrot looks good and Mr. Bennet gets a finder’s fee of 800 pounds or more to settle his overdraft. A clever ending. Cat’s street cred has now increased in my eyes. Plus, with the book he now has a trail to follow to perhaps get back home again.

So an episode that looked like it was doomed to a low score ends up getting bumped up to 6 screaming schoolgirls who just think frogs are gross. The humor is still silly and overdone but I see a possibility for improvement now.

By the way: I couldn't expand the image to full screen this week and had to watch it in tiny form. Any suggestions on how to fix that? Thanks.

Brimfin

Member: Rank 3
I had mixed feelings about this episode, although one set of feelings finally won over the other.

As it began, Carrot now had a pet turtle named Beelzebub which he called his familiar. Obviously, he’s being influenced by Catweazle already. Every proud father would like to brag that his son has a pet named after the Devil, right? His Dad complains that he’s been having a streak of bad luck lately and maybe the place is cursed. Now that he has a wizard for a friend, Carrot thinks a curse may be a real thing and goes to Cat for help. My initial reaction was that as a plot this was nonsense – there are no real curses. But I remembered what Mad-Pac said in his evaluation of the show’s premise. You have to pretend that this show is set in an alternate universe where magic is real. After all, CW clearly went to the future by magic; there was no science involved. And we’ve already seen him keep Carrot from talking about him, or the maid from seeing him by use of his magic knife.

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I accept this kind of thing a lot more than I realized. I mean, I never had any qualms about enjoying BEWITCHED or I DREAM OF JEANNIE, whose respective premises were that witchcraft and genies were real. It was all in fun. Even in drama, I’ve been enjoying SUPERNATURAL for years. But they’ve come up with some truly ludicrous plotlines. I mean it’s one thing to have a premise that virtually all monsters of legend and myth are real. But they even trampled on Scripture one season, with a season-long arc about “God’s sister” who was some being of darkness. If God is the creator of the universe, how could he have a dark sister? If they’d led off with such a concept, I probably never would have watched it. But after it had been part of my viewing habits for over ten years, I was willing to look the other way on this plotline and a few others. Anyway, so for all intents and purposes, in the CATWEAZLE universe magic is real and so are curses.

That being said, there are a couple of weak points in the theory. One is that if the house had been cursed all along, why didn’t they notice it before? Any endeavor there should have been doomed to failure if the place was cursed. Second, Mr. Bennett mentioned that part of his problem was that he was overdrawn at the bank to the tune of 800 pounds. That’s no small sum even today, and would have been worth many times that amount back in 1970. That’s not a curse; that’s poor money management. Don’t spend more than you make, or borrow more than you know you can pay back.

Carrot goes to see Stuffy Gladstone, who works at the museum, to find out if there’s any record of a curse at his father’s homestead. Unfortunately, Cat follows him – unfortunate for the museum that is. Cat knocks down a display of a Norman soldier (apparently not damaging it, luckily), scares a group of schoolgirls with his pet frog (his familiar, from last week), and then tosses books around like garbage looking for one particular old book. As it turns out, the book he sought was propped over the top shelf, so there was no need for his to toss old, antique, valuable books from the top shelf onto the floor carelessly while Stuffy just meekly tells him to please stop doing that. One book turns out to have a broken binder from such bad treatment. CW steals the book he wants and runs off with it. Now, in Catweazle’s defense, I’ll note that the books had not been well cared for, as dust flew rampantly when CW was tossing the books around. Clearly, the museum had not been taking care of them very well either.

Carrot is honest enough to go try and retrieve the book from his friend the wizard, who doesn’t want to give it up because it contains secrets of magic written by Rapkyn another wizard and enemy of Cat. The book reveals that Rapkyn did indeed put a curse on the Bennet’s homestead. He hid two stones – one in the tower and one in the water. Now, does that mean their home has been around since the 11th century? Since CW knew who Rapkyn was, that only stands to reason. Well, I suppose it’s possible.

Anyway, after everybody else taking the pratfalls and getting into trouble in previous weeks, it’s Catweazle’s turn this week. He climbs up into the chimney (the tower referenced), gets the ladder pulled out from under him by Sam and then falls down into the hearth covered in soot. Of course, Carrot gets blamed for all the soot in the house. Later, Cat is dropped into the well not once, but twice – the second time after he shows Carrot the stone he found and Carrot lets go of the well handle to take a look.

But then something amazing happens. It turns out the stones with the eyes that Rapkyn used weren’t random. They came from a statue of a two-faced god (a name beginning with a C, but I think Stuffy had said he later became known as the well-known Janus). The statue had been lent to the museum by the British museum with only one face and the other face thought long lost. Catweazle actually helped to restore a lost art treasure. Stuffy is so grateful that he allows Cat to keep the book he stole – a fair exchange. The museum looks good, Stuffy looks good, Carrot looks good and Mr. Bennet gets a finder’s fee of 800 pounds or more to settle his overdraft. A clever ending. Cat’s street cred has now increased in my eyes. Plus, with the book he now has a trail to follow to perhaps get back home again.

So an episode that looked like it was doomed to a low score ends up getting bumped up to 6 screaming schoolgirls who just think frogs are gross. The humor is still silly and overdone but I see a possibility for improvement now.

By the way: I couldn't expand the image to full screen this week and had to watch it in tiny form. Any suggestions on how to fix that? Thanks.

Doctor Omega

Any suggestions on how to fix that?

I always click on the "D" in the top left of the thumbnail on here.

That takes me straight to the Daily Motion website.

Then, when there, I click on the bottom right of the thumbnail there and it goes to fullscreen.

I just double checked that method on here with this episode and it still seems okay. Hope it helps at your end Brimfin. :emoji_alien:

michaellevenson

Excellent point about JEANNIE, I like that show, and we do readily accept its premise about genies being real for the sake of enjoying the show. However we don't think that it's set in an alternative universe, but our one, which contains something magical.
As Shakespeare had Hamlet say " there is more in heaven and Earth than is dreamt of in your philosophy".
Writer, Carpenter doesn't allow Carrot or any other character to disprove magic, or 100% prove it's real. But yeah, I really like your point, got me thinking, Catweazle just a bit of fun after all, more you engage in the fun the more you get out of it.

Doctor Omega

BEWITCHED or I DREAM OF JEANNIE

BEWITCHED, I knew, but JEANNIE is one that completely passed me by back in the day.

I remember being surprised that Larry Hagman had been anything other than J.R. :emoji_alien:

But then I also found out that he had directed BEWARE! THE BLOB, which is another story entirely!

Last edited: